You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen Coyle

myrlas

He's really flavour of the season, isn't he?

Getting Bolton to play like Barcelona, and fighting for a top spot in the league? Young, scottish and hailed as the best thing since...well...the last flavour of the season.

But is he all that? Is Bolton all that?

I have never been convinced to be honest.

First og all, let's get some facts straight. We all know everything about Roy Hodgson's poor away stats for Fulham and for us. It's a stick most people beat him with over and over again, and rightly so.

But did you know that Coyle's away record in PL is even worse?

I thought so:

O.Coyle away in PL (BUR 10 games, BOL 21): P31 W4 D6 L21 avg 0.51 pts pr game. Roy Hodgson two full ses at FUL: P38 W4 D15 L19, avg 0.71 pts.

Of course Coyle has a good home record, but you can easily argue that the PL this season is the weakest in a long, long time and Bolton haven't any big scalp at home apart from Spurs. Their wins are agains Stoke, Spurs, Newcastle, Blackburn and WBA. Hardly the big guns, right?

Bolton has indeed become more pleasing to the eye after Coyle took over. The likes of Stu Holden, Lee and Elmander in form have given them other options than aiming for Davies up front.

But I would be careful to judge Bolton in december to be honest. Let's see where they end after one full season. With the dismal away record, and with more difficult home fixtures coming up in the new year, it might be a slight chance that Owen Coyle isn't the best young manager around after all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has done nothing in the game to warrant getting the LFC job. A bit like Hodgson last season.

this

there's always a team each season that surprises everyone and does well. by the end of the season they're usually just below middle of the table and had a decent year.

it's not like bolton havn't been here before - under allardyce.

you have to factor in how well he did with burnley and their some of their cup wins as well but does this really qualify him to run liverpool?

i think we've seen in roy hodgson really what a difficult and unique job this is, pressure from all directions, this is not a normal football job. when you consider what rafa achieved in his time here, with all this job demands and for 3 years under disasterous owners - he still managed to keep a smile on his face and remain respectful.

Actually what is a good finishing position for Bolton and Owen Coyle?

Finishing 5th/ 6th? Can't really decide on that. Winning the FA cup will help boost his CV if Bolton are still in the competition. If Bolton win against us tomorrow, there will be more people screaming for him to be signed just like there were people after we got beat by Fulham. When the small teams do well they get a lot of attention on MOTD- which somewhat distorts the real ability of the team/manager.

Repped for providing the stats to support the concerns of a lot of people.

I didn't know what his away record was, but his appointment would be a huge gamble at this stage in his career. The attitude of a few seems to be that because he is young, Scottish, and plays attacking football he will be the next Dalglish or Ferguson.

He is a promising manager but just that - promising. Does he warrant a three to five year contract at Liverpool? He is nowhere near deserving of that, in my opinion.

When I imagine him as our manager, I don't think principally about whether or not he'd have us beating the likes of Sunderland, Blackburn et al at Anfield or even on the road, I imagine him in the dugout parallel to Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancellotti, Van Gaal, and so on, wondering whether he would outwit them on those big European nights, when you're in a war of attrition and the games are more like chess matches than battles of will or passion. He has a constant desire to win - that much is obvious - but has he displayed that level of intelligence at the top level?

Not yet, in my view. The next few years are big for him as a coach, but I don't think they should be spent with us.

I'm sorry, but his away record with teams like Burnley and Bolton cannot be compared to a team like us, I know we're on a massive wobbily but our players(mostly) are a class above those that he has managed.

Same thing was said about Hodgson at Fulham. Everyone expected Roy to improve his record once he was in charge of a big team- clearly nothing like that happened.

I'm sorry, but his away record with teams like Burnley and Bolton cannot be compared to a team like us, I know we're on a massive wobbily but our players(mostly) are a class above those that he has managed.

I'm a big fan of Coyle, think he's doing wonders at Bolton.

It's compared to Hodgson at Fulham. Totally comparable IMO.

I've got to admit that I've always been a little puzzled by the talk about the football that he's got Bolton playing. It's an improvement from the dross churned out by the likes of Megson and Allardyce when they were there but I'd hardly have them down as purveyors of the beautiful game to be honest.

And improving Bolton from Megson is hardly the most enormous task.

It isn't necessarily that, it's the average players he's made into surprisingly exciting players that play decent football.

I think we do need to go for a manager with Premier League experience, as Chelsea has often shown that managers can struggle when brought to a new league.

Talking about Chelsea, what's happened to Guus Hiddink? I thought he did a class job whilst he was with them.

I've got to admit that I've always been a little puzzled by the talk about the football that he's got Bolton playing. It's an improvement from the dross churned out by the likes of Megson and Allardyce when they were there but I'd hardly have them down as purveyors of the beautiful game to be honest.

I thought they were proper route 1 when we played them at the Reebok.

Guest San Don
He's really flavour of the season, isn't he?

Getting Bolton to play like Barcelona, and fighting for a top spot in the league? Young, scottish and hailed as the best thing since...well...the last flavour of the season.

But is he all that? Is Bolton all that?

I have never been convinced to be honest.

First og all, let's get some facts straight. We all know everything about Roy Hodgson's poor away stats for Fulham and for us. It's a stick most people beat him with over and over again, and rightly so.

But did you know that Coyle's away record in PL is even worse?

I thought so:

O.Coyle away in PL (BUR 10 games, BOL 21): P31 W4 D6 L21 avg 0.51 pts pr game. Roy Hodgson two full ses at FUL: P38 W4 D15 L19, avg 0.71 pts.

Of course Coyle has a good home record, but you can easily argue that the PL this season is the weakest in a long, long time and Bolton haven't any big scalp at home apart from Spurs. Their wins are agains Stoke, Spurs, Newcastle, Blackburn and WBA. Hardly the big guns, right?

Bolton has indeed become more pleasing to the eye after Coyle took over. The likes of Stu Holden, Lee and Elmander in form have given them other options than aiming for Davies up front.

But I would be careful to judge Bolton in december to be honest. Let's see where they end after one full season. With the dismal away record, and with more difficult home fixtures coming up in the new year, it might be a slight chance that Owen Coyle isn't the best young manager around after all.

Im not convinced by him either especially the way he dumped on burnley for the bolton job.

Im far more impressed with what holloway is doing at Blackpool. Far less money, had to get the squad to gel, brought in new players and stuck rigidly to their pay structure and doesnt stand being pissed about even by his chairman.

story has it when holloway went for the blackpool job, oyston turned up 30 minutes late and dressed in a jacket and jeans.

Holloway says 'I've been here 30 minutes waiting for you. Where have you been?' Oyston says he'd been doing 'other things.'

Holloway retorts 'well if you were one of my players and we'd been playing away, i'd have instructed the team bus to leave without you because you were late. and another thing, when you're interviewing people, dont you think you should show them some respect and dress smartly?' :wow:

And he was speaking to then man who was interviewing him for the job!

Im not saying holloway for the Liverpool job just that I think he's an overall far better package than coyle will ever be.

Im not convinced by him either especially the way he dumped on burnley for the bolton job.

Im far more impressed with what holloway is doing at Blackpool. Far less money, had to get the squad to gel, brought in new players and stuck rigidly to their pay structure and doesnt stand being pissed about even by his chairman.

story has it when holloway went for the blackpool job, oyston turned up 30 minutes late and dressed in a jacket and jeans.

Holloway says 'I've been here 30 minutes waiting for you. Where have you been?' Oyston says he'd been doing 'other things.'

Holloway retorts 'well if you were one of my players and we'd been playing away, i'd have instructed the team bus to leave without you because you were late. and another thing, when you're interviewing people, dont you think you should show them some respect and dress smartly?' :wow:

And he was speaking to then man who was interviewing him for the job!

Im not saying holloway for the Liverpool job just that I think he's an overall far better package than coyle will ever be.

Only problem is Holloway is insane, right now we laugh at him cause he's managing Blackpool and no one cares about him. At Liverpool he would be listened to and people would realise quickly he's insane. Did people listen to roy when he was at Fulham? Its not like he became a new person suddenly

I think what he has done at Bolton is nothing short of miraculous, but its only been half a season. If he had been at a few clubs and they had all played like barca consistently i would want him here.I did want him here until recently, now its a case of anyone but Hodgson. im inclined to agree with the Kenny til the end of the season party. then appoint someone who wants to see their team play with pace and flair, and pass and move.

Guest San Don
Only problem is Holloway is insane, right now we laugh at him cause he's managing Blackpool and no one cares about him. At Liverpool he would be listened to and people would realise quickly he's insane. Did people listen to roy when he was at Fulham? Its not like he became a new person suddenly

Did I say he was suitable for us? No. I just said to me holloway is a better overall package than coyle.

The test for holloway will be can he make the step up from blackpool to a bigger club and still get the results.

We could do a lot worse than Coyle but we could do a lot better also.

I don't think he merits the job yet, he hasn't won anything and should be labelled 'promising' as he has impressed me thus far and done extremely well but this does not equate to being LFC manager. If Hodgson is an abortion of a choice then perhaps Coyle is the contraceptive but for me we haven't fell that far yet that we should stop planning for the top. Unless Kenny keels over between now and our new appointment he has my allegiance.

Mainly though, if Hermes thinks its a good idea then caution, danger, warning, achtung baby! He is a broken clock so one chance in 12 he is right that its Coyle's hour.