You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC News - No police in Mexico town after last officer kidnapped

The Mexican border town of Guadalupe has been left with no police force after the last officer was kidnapped.

Erika Gandara's house was set on fire by unidentified gunmen before she was abducted last week, according to the state prosecutor's office.

All her colleagues had resigned or were killed in the region's drug war.

More than 30,000 people have died in drug-related violence since 2006 when the President announced a crackdown on the cartels.

Ms Gandara, 28, had patrolled the town of 9,000 inhabitants on her own since June.

"Nobody wants to go into policing here, and the budget just isn't there anyway," she told AFP news agency earlier this year.

Guadalupe is about 5km (3 miles) away from the US border and 60km (40 miles) from Ciudad Juarez, the centre of drug smuggling operations into the United States.

It is also close to the hamlet of Praxedis Guadalupe Guerreror, where a 20-year-old college student got the job of police chief in October because no one else applied.

The Mexican government has sent soldiers to patrol Guadalupe and to investigate the kidnapping of Ms Gandara.

I went to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico about 10 years ago when I was staying in El Paso, Texas. I was completely oblivious to the dangers of walking around with my digital camera then. In fact, it was a bit like walking through Dingle whilst playing on an Apple i Phone really.

The things you do when you are young :-O

wow - nice place.

i remember creating a thread earlier in the year about the 20 year old mexican babe who took over another town as police chief.

she is mentioned in the article as well.

"it is also close to the hamlet of Praxedis Guadalupe Guerreror, where a 20-year-old college student got the job of police chief in October because no one else applied".

• 1 year later...

Mexico is getting worse.

BBC News - Mexico violence: Monterrey police find 49 bodies

Mexico violence: Monterrey police find 49 bodies

Forty-nine mutilated bodies have been found dumped by a roadside near the city of Monterrey in northern Mexico.

Security officials said the 43 men and six women had been decapitated and had their hands cut off, making identification difficult.

They blamed the killings on a conflict between rival drugs gangs - a note left with the bodies said they had been killed by the Zetas cartel.

It is the latest in a series of recent massacres in northern Mexico.

The Zetas have been fighting the Gulf and Sinaloa cartels for control of smuggling routes into the US.

The bodies were found at 04:00 local time (09:00 GMT) in Cadereyta municipality on the road from Monterrey to Reynosa on the US border.

Security officials said the bodies appeared to have been killed at another location up to two days ago and dumped from a truck.

"We know from the characteristics that this is the result of violence between criminal gangs, it is not an attack on the civilian population," Nuevo Leon State security spokesman Jorge Domene said.

State prosecutor Adrian de la Garza said the fact that hands and heads had been cut off made it difficult to identify the victims, but he said it was possible they were Central American migrants.

The grim find comes just days after police discovered the dismembered, decapitated bodies of 18 people in two abandoned vehicles in western Mexico.

Earlier this month 23 dead bodies - 14 of them decapitated - were found in the border city of Nuevo Laredo, also in Nuevo Leon state.

Around 50,000 people have died in drug-related violence in Mexico since 2006, when President Felipe Calderon deployed the army to combat the cartels.

The BBC's Will Grant, in Mexico City says the latest killings show that, although many Mexicans felt the drug violence had been easing this year, the conflict is still claiming many lives, often in the most brutal circumstances.

Guest ShoePiss

I've been to that region a number of times with work, apart from the heavily armed police in armoured cars near Monterrey airport you wouldn't know all this shit was going on. It's crazy how bad it is currently, 50,000 dead since 2006? Are you fucking kidding me?

I'm going to Mexico in August for my wedding, although there won't be any trouble at all there, they don't fuck with the tourist dollar. boss.

Guest ShoePiss
[YOUTUBE]myKFmeWa2T0[/YOUTUBE]

But that's Monterey, Calif which is next door to Carmel. There's no way Clint would stand for dead bodies turning up on his doorstep. No sir.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a house in Mexico today.

A beautiful two bed colonial house in the Yucatan (Merida)....20' ceilings in the rooms, amazing tile floors, stone walls that go back centuries. No pool, but room for one, definitely. The house is move in ready, but could use some renovation work (which cvosts nothing down here).

Can't show you any pics today, as I forgot to include a cable to download from my camera.

Just thought you all needed to know. I'm just amazed how it all went down (I'm still here in Merida.

Amazing place - look it up.

I just bought a house in Mexico today.

A beautiful two bed colonial house in the Yucatan (Merida)....20' ceilings in the rooms, amazing tile floors, stone walls that go back centuries. No pool, but room for one, definitely. The house is move in ready, but could use some renovation work (which cvosts nothing down here).

Can't show you any pics today, as I forgot to include a cable to download from my camera.

Just thought you all needed to know. I'm just amazed how it all went down (I'm still here in Merida.

Amazing place - look it up.

And where do you usually live?

Guest ShoePiss

I can't imagine this, you're in the food court of a major airport and you see the cops shooting at the federal cops. It sounds like a scene from a film. It's been out of control for a while and keeps getting worse it seems.

BBC News - Policemen die in Mexico City airport shootout

Policemen die in Mexico City airport shootout

Three policemen have been killed in a shootout at Mexico City's main airport, officials say.

The security ministry said the federal officers had been sent to detain suspects in a drug trafficking case.

Passengers dived for cover when the suspects opened fire, killing two officers immediately and injuring a third who later died in hospital.

The area was sealed off but flights were reported to be operating normally in and out of the airport.

Witnesses said the shooting happened in the food hall of Terminal 2.

"When the alleged perpetrators were surrounded by the police, shots were fired against the federal agents," a security ministry statement said.

Impostors?

Police would not say if any arrests had been made.

Eyewitness Israel Lopez told the Associated Press news agency that those who fired at the federal agents were wearing police uniforms.

"We were in the food court, and some policemen came in and started shooting at another policeman who was on the floor," he said.

The federal public safety department said it was investigating whether the attackers were active-duty police, former officers or impostors, AP reports.

The BBC's Will Grant in Mexico says shootings in public spaces in broad daylight remain rare in the capital city, which has been largely insulated from the violence seen elsewhere in the country.

Though traffickers use the capital's main airport to move drugs, money and illegal migrants and have seized 440lb (200kg) of cocaine there so far this year, violence related to drug trafficking seldom occurs in passenger areas.

Reuters reports that gang violence has been growing in Mexico City and its suburbs, with around 300 gang-related murders last year.

• 4 years later...