You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marcus Babbel

fivetimes

I see he is making noises about coming back here next season.

Did anyone think he played that well on sunday? i personally thought he wasnt up to it, and was generally poor. Was this due to him being played with shite (todd etc) and having to do too much, or him just not being up to it anymore?

I think the latter sadly.

He didn't do much but then again we didn't really attack down his side, almost as though our players perhaps cause they knew him, thought they wouldn't get anywere.

He hasn't been playing because he had a spat with Souness months ago, Marcus perhaps should keep his opinions to himself otherwise he will never play again for us, even if he got the chance.

I still believe he could do well for us.

As much as I like him as a man, I sadly dont think he's good enough anymore to consistently do a job at the level we are aiming for. He could be a good squad player, but if we're paying him £60000 a week as reported, then that can only be justified to someone who is a core member of the team.

Thing is, though, having already shelled out a multi-million pound right back in teh summer I can;t see the board being too keen on forking out on another, not when thre are more pressing positions (RW, CB and maybe CF) that need attending to.

Personally I'd have him back, if only for the youngsters to learn a thing or two from the boss man.

As for his contract that was awarded whilst he was sick, that was more than deserved and a sign of what he meant to our club at that time. Who begrudged him it at the time???? Certainly not me.

Marcus is one of the best defedners to have ever played at Anfield, and that's some accolade!

My mates a Blackburn season ticket holder and says that he has been their best defender (and arguably player) so far this season and was dropped for a fall out with Souness. I think he is one of the best defenders I've ever seen, but nowhere near as good as he was, but still possibly better than what we have. I thought it was a great action by the club to give him a contract when he had the disease, especially when you think how money driven football is these days. It's a shame that Marcus let himself down and didn't really repay us for the loyalty the club showed him.

I would give him ago (with some clause written in his contract just in case he fails), but he does have some making up to do as far as I am concerened.

"It's a shame that Marcus let himself down and didn't really repay us for the loyalty the club showed him."

It was gh's choice to send him out on loan, so i am not sure abut the loyalty thing? They had a few little spats towards the end.

I agree though, dont think he is anywhere near what he used to be.

Damn shame

Think you're all overlooking someone. Carra. Not only is he the best defensive full back in the league, he's been ace going forward since he came back from injury too. Whether its right back or on the left, he's been class, and is way better than Markus is these days.

Only problem is can both manager and player forgive and forget, depends on there character I guess.

Unfortunately, the guy's got no chance now. I'd have him back in a second but once Houllier gets a bee in his bonnet.......

Henchoz has got no chance now. Robbie didn't last long afer thier spat. etc etc...

The worst thing is that we could end up spending another few million on a RB when we've been buyng one-per-season for the last few years! Babbel is good enough, there's no doubt about it. Carra our best RB IMO, and with Babbel and Finnan also around I think we're ok now.

Cb is much needed, especially with Henchoz leaving in the summer. babbel plays there to doesn't he?

Quality player, and we need him next season. Don't care about his dip in form when he came back for us, and can't blame him for not being top-dog at Blackburn when he knows he's only on loan there for one season (and just because his boss doesn't like him!). I think his attitude is great, and when he threw a strop after being subbed in that Eoru match I think he was more pissed off with himself than Houllier.

Think you're all overlooking someone. Carra. Not only is he the best defensive full back in the league, he's been ace going forward since he came back from injury too. Whether its right back or on the left, he's been class, and is way better than Markus is these days.

you're spot on dave, but i want Carra as CB next season. ;-)

If we stick with Carra at RB, then we only end up with the same problem, only at right back.

I had high hopes for Semmy to come on leaps and bounds this year but an "excellent loan" (copyright Gerard Houllier) put paid to that.

but we are talking as babbel as a squad member, not taking carras place.

god dave, its all me me me with you init?

Tom referred to him as the best right back we have, and Steve H agreed. No-one disagreed or even mentioned Carra until I did.

And don't piss me off, or that coach journey to Highbury will be a very long one ;-)

And don't piss me off, or that coach journey to Highbury will be a very long one ;-)

hehe.

noted.

I totally forgot about Carra somehow. Obviously he's the better of the two. But who else would like to see JC at CB next season?

Only problem I guess is that then leaves us with TWO fullback positions to fill because Riise (this season) and Traore aren't up to it.

I hope Semmy as can produce next season and get a game...

...In fact replace the word "produce" with "kiss Houlliers arse enough"

Riise has been crap this season and much of last year....but i think he slowly is getting back in the groove...his last 5 games have been better than in a long time....

Would`nt write him off just yet...

Full backs isnt what worries me though.... I think we need better central defenders to take our game to the next level...