You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Rafa back?

The Dude Abides

yes or no?  

534 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no?

• Yes
    • No

By 'equally qualified', you're referring to managers who are as qualified as Deschamps, but not as qualified as Benitez, I presume? Dalglish is better qualified for the job than Didier Deschamps, and I'd rather us turn to him. Failing that, Unai Emery, having proven his ability to deliver a definite brand of football under even the most adverse conditions. Deschamps has had it easy, and is yet to deliver an ounce in Europe.

However ironic it may seem, unless Mourinho or Ferguson enter the job market tomorrow, Rafael Benitez is the most heavily qualified manager for the job in the world. Is there another with a European Cup, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, World Championship, La Liga, FA Cup and Premier League runners-up medal to his name? Give Rafa a rest, then jet him in. There's not another available that has achieved what he has. And that, as the great man himself would say, is fact.

And to put all this Pako nonsense aside: we enjoyed our most successful domestic season, playing our most attractive football, without him at the club. Regardless of what certain mad, half-literate foreign posters would say to the otherwise.

In fairness to Deschamps he did get monaco to the european cup final.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However ironic it may seem, unless Mourinho or Ferguson enter the job market tomorrow, Rafael Benitez is the most heavily qualified manager for the job in the world. Is there another with a European Cup, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, World Championship, La Liga, FA Cup and Premier League runners-up medal to his name? Give Rafa a rest, then jet him in. There's not another available that has achieved what he has. And that, as the great man himself would say, is fact.

There is of course someone else in the Premiership qualified for the job, and also unavailable. He's won 4 Serie A, 4 Italian Cups, 4 European Cups, 3 Super Cups, 3 World Championships, won the Premiership title and FA Cup at the first time of asking in his career, and currently on course for more. He isn't Rafa Benitez.

And to put all this Pako nonsense aside: we enjoyed our most successful domestic season, playing our most attractive football, without him at the club. Regardless of what certain posters would say to the otherwise.

Our most successful domestic season was 2006, finishing 9 points off the champions and with a FA Cup, with Pako aboard. That was quite a while ago.

We shouldn't be hiring someone fired from 2 of the world's best clubs in 6 months.

Edited by mypost

Guest the boy

If Ancelloti were available then he should be in equal contention. I suspect he has a good thing going at Chelsea that he wouldn't want to walk away from, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Of those managers available, or of the cream of those others whom we could realistically hope to poach (Deschamps, Emery, Villas-Boas), Benitez has the strongest resume, and for that reason I'd hope NESV would offer him the chance to outline his plans to take us forward, whether they then decide to offer him the job or not.

In fairness to Deschamps he did get monaco to the european cup final.

That's true; had slipped my mind. I'm still convinced that Deschamps would be a heavier punt than, say, Dalglish, who is known to have a desire to take the job and is entrenched in the clubs history and tradition.

Must admit I certainly didn't expect 60/40 in favour of bringing him back on what is the most vehemently anti-Benitez LFC site.

I'm not sure that I would describe the site as vehemently anti-Benitez. There are just a few clowns who repeatedly chip in on every thread repeating the same thing over and over. The reason most people would have him back is that we replaced a european cup winning manager with a total incompetent.

In an ideal world, we probably wouldn't be talking about bringing rafa or indeed kenny back but roy is just so far away from having what it takes to manage this club that its driving people up the wall. Another thing in rafas and obviously kennys favour is that they have never had a bad word to say about us, often going out of their way to tell the world how great we are. As petty as this may sound, roy gives the impression that he doesn't give a toss about what we think. Maybe a more interesting poll question would be, who would you rather took over from roy yesterday, rafa or kenny?

Bring him back on a short term contract until the end of the season when both parties can sit down and see if they want to continue.

This way owners can get a sense as to what Rafa is all about. They will have been briefed on the good, bad and ugly. They are smart guys who could figure out if they could work together long term.

Rather than being knee jerkers I would say we are being decisive in sacking Hodgson. He is totally out if his depth and under a considerable amount of stress which is no good for his health. His face rubbing hamster impression is an open sign to say ' I can't influence the outcome, I am in the shit.'

Benitez has the strongest resume, and for that reason I'd hope NESV would offer him the chance to outline his plans to take us forward, whether they then decide to offer him the job or not.

His plans are fairly straight-forward:

• More money, whether it's there or not
  • Total control of the academy
  • I conduct all the transfers
  • I want 6 new players now, yesterday, last month, but I want them.
  • The right to fall out and dispose of, colleagues, bosses, players, whoever stands in my way at the club, as I deem fit

The above list is not exhaustive. Oh and demand a lucrative long term contract in order to carry out this.

So what are your plans?

The reason most people would have him back is that we replaced a european cup winning manager with a total incompetent.

The reason is, the 60% never wanted him to leave at all, and desperately want him back. The fact he's lost his last 3 jobs in part because of baiting and backstabbing at his bosses, is lost to them.

In short, I don't want him back.

• The right to fall out and dispose of, colleagues, bosses, players, whoever stands in my way at the club, as I deem fit

The above list is not exhaustive. Oh and demand a lucrative long term contract in order to carry out this.

So what are your plans?

The reason is, the 60% never wanted him to leave at all, and desperately want him back. The fact he's lost his last 3 jobs in part because of baiting and backstabbing at his bosses, is lost to them.

The reason most people would have him back is that we replaced a european cup winning manager with a total incompetent.

So what are your plans?

What a cunt eh? Demanding the money and transfers that he'd been promised by his superiors. Fucking dickhead. I for one wish he'd sat with his mouth shut about it all and we'd been none the wiser as to what was going on. What a piece of shit for rallying the fans behind the cancers. Some fucking nerve he had on him.

Also, what nerve he had to ask for support from the board at Inter who had given him none until that point. What a horrible piece of shit. It was 3 new payers he wanted by the way. Don't let that little fact get in the way though, it's clearly not a habit of yours anyway.

Of the bosses he has fallen out with we have the president of Valencia who was quoted as saying he would carry Rafa back to Valencia on his back. There were the cancers who were trying to drive this club under to make any kind of profit. And there's Moratti who has publicly criticised him since day one, while the Inter fans are solidly behind Rafa and support what he is trying to do. They know they have an ageing squad and they trusted Rafa to fix it. Trouble is Moratti spent so much giving the Special One everything he wanted that there's no money left to give anyone else. Pity he obviously never told Rafa that before he signed on.

If he falls out with a player is it entirely his fault? Are there not TWO people in that situation? The manager should rule. If players don't fall into line they should go.

He only wanted to conduct transfers here because Rick Parry had done such a shite job at it previously, and because Christian Purslow clearly knew exactly fuck all about it. The number of players we missed out on cos Parry never got his finger out his arse is ridiculous. How dare Rafa want to actually get these deals done. What a shitcoat.

And look at how much better the academy looks since he installed his own people? It's only going to get better. That's a fucking long term vision for the club. The same kind that NESV have been harping on about.

Rafa Benitez = Grade A Cunt.

Guest davelfc

Almost 62% want Rafa back.

I mentioned earlier how things might be different if we actually had a decent manager. I feel some of that 62% might not have voted yes. When you're desperate you make desperate decisions, not always the right ones.

I voted yes, I actually thought his time was up but like almost everyone we worried who we would get. Like everyone else I just didn't think we would get rid of the cancers so soon. I'd have liked to see Rafa given new owners and money.

I'd like to clarify that while I'd welcome Rafa back it's with a lot of doubt. He'd now have to work with Comolli for a start. Although he could focus on football instead of internal politics, although he seems to enjoy that struggle. He did lose the plot big time and just being one of us doesn't mean you deserve the job.

Maybe as suggested a short term deal, give him and the owners chance to check each other out, we know he's much better than the current joker. I know he would at least be positive, not talk us down, not insult our intelligence and give the place a lift.

True it would split the fan base, but had Rafa received support from decent new owners over 3 years ago I don't think there would be such a split. Maybe he deserves the chance to try again, it's a risk I know and of course I'm making a decision based on us having Hodgson here. Luckily we won't get to decide, hopefully people with far clearer heads have that task.

If I was a betting man, I'd not put a penny on his return. But then if you knew my history on the few bets I'd made, you would know that means nothing.

It's interesting, though, that on the most anti-Benitez forum, by far, the vast majority want him back.

I'm expecting big chants for Rafa at Wolves.

I think you're mistaking the views of internet fans with those of match-going fans.

This forum has never been anti-Benitez. Any cursory totting up of the pro and anti Benitez posts will tell you that. The reason pro-Benitez fans think it's anti their hero is because of the inordinate amount of offence and hurt they feel at every post that criticises him. It's certainly not borne out by the numbers of posts.

Benitez would be a divisive, poisonous, self-serving and distracting influence. He's not a very nice man, imo. However, he does know he can play a lot of our fans like a threepenny whistle, and that's reflected on here, and especially places like RAWK. Hopefully our new owners are not so easily fooled.

I think you're mistaking the views of internet fans with those of match-going fans.

This forum has never been anti-Benitez. Any cursory totting up of the pro and anti Benitez posts will tell you that. The reason pro-Benitez fans think it's anti their hero is because of the inordinate amount of offence and hurt they feel at every post that criticises him. It's certainly not borne out by the numbers of posts.

Benitez would be a divisive, poisonous, self-serving and distracting influence. He's not a very nice man, imo. However, he does know he can play a lot of our fans like a threepenny whistle, and that's reflected on here, and especially places like RAWK. Hopefully our new owners are not so easily fooled.

To suggest rafa didn't have the support of the match going fans is a nonsense.

What a cunt eh? Demanding the money and transfers that he'd been promised by his superiors. Fucking dickhead. I for one wish he'd sat with his mouth shut about it all and we'd been none the wiser as to what was going on. What a piece of shit for rallying the fans behind the cancers. Some fucking nerve he had on him.

Also, what nerve he had to ask for support from the board at Inter who had given him none until that point. What a horrible piece of shit. It was 3 new payers he wanted by the way. Don't let that little fact get in the way though, it's clearly not a habit of yours anyway.

Of the bosses he has fallen out with we have the president of Valencia who was quoted as saying he would carry Rafa back to Valencia on his back. There were the cancers who were trying to drive this club under to make any kind of profit. And there's Moratti who has publicly criticised him since day one, while the Inter fans are solidly behind Rafa and support what he is trying to do. They know they have an ageing squad and they trusted Rafa to fix it. Trouble is Moratti spent so much giving the Special One everything he wanted that there's no money left to give anyone else. Pity he obviously never told Rafa that before he signed on.

If he falls out with a player is it entirely his fault? Are there not TWO people in that situation? The manager should rule. If players don't fall into line they should go.

He only wanted to conduct transfers here because Rick Parry had done such a shite job at it previously, and because Christian Purslow clearly knew exactly fuck all about it. The number of players we missed out on cos Parry never got his finger out his arse is ridiculous. How dare Rafa want to actually get these deals done. What a shitcoat.

And look at how much better the academy looks since he installed his own people? It's only going to get better. That's a fucking long term vision for the club. The same kind that NESV have been harping on about.

Rafa Benitez = Grade A Cunt.

you need to take a step back and take the emotion out of you're thinking. You can't blame everything that happened at Valencia, LIverpool and Inter on everybody but Rafa. I think it's clear that some of these issues were created by Rafa as a means to an end and at the end of the day when you challenge the board in any business you better do the numbers or you're history.

Take Inter , there is a story out there by Marcotti that Rafa was told before taking up the position that Inter were going to control their spend (to comply with the UEFA fair paly rules) and that Rafa needed to work with the current squad and bring through the youngsters.

Personally I don't want him back because I honestly did not enjoy watching us play last season ( yep, this season is no better but I never wanted Roy either). Who would I get in? I don't know TBH but that's not going to be my decision anyway.

I think he said "the most anti-Benitez", which is clearly correct. Benitez would be divisive, that is also clear, poisonous and self-serving I'd disagree with. Also, I have no clue if he is a nice man or not, I've never met him or worked with him. From what I've seen, I'd say he is an excellent football manager, and leave it at that.

I still think he had his time here, it is in the past, and he and and everyone else should move on. Just because we have a useless manager right now, and Benitez seems to be available, doesn't mean that we should try to go back in time. If we want a caretaker (my preference), it should be Dalglish. We need the fans united, it is even a bigger priority than where we finish in the league. Hodgson or Benitez can never do it, a real change is needed.

It's difficult to disagree with the opinion that he'd be divisive; even before last season there were people who clearly disliked the man.

However, and you and Goatboy do my head in about this, the idea that the reason this forum was seen as anti-Benitez was because anyone who likes/rates Rafa is a precious drama queen is, how should I put it? An absolute crock of shit. You have some people like that, sure, just as you have some people who hurl untold levels of absue at Rafa even after he's no longer manager of the club. People who take delight in him losing. A big chunk of the reason why this place was seen as anti-benitez was because he got an obscene level of abuse last season and before, was regularly called a cunt, a fact which seems to be regularly ignored by plenty on here when they give their 'balanced views' on the subject.

Dalgish and Coyle, a nod to the past and a nod to the future.

Rafa? Well, no. I was one who said he'd be fine at Inter because he would knuckle down and do what had to be done while he had a two year contract. Whilst Inter have certainly not been too helpful, we yet again have the ugly public spectacle of a coach telling the world that his employers have stabbed him in the back and that he personally cannot be held responsible for what's going wrong.

He can't help himself. He no longer has any sense of The Collective, and he no longer regards himself as an employee.

NESV have little or no currency with Liverpool fans, same as Hicks and Gillett in 2007. When the manager - yes, WHEN - takes them on and appeals directly to the supporters about transfers and Comolli's interference and how little the CEO (if he was Jesus himself) knows about football but he's still making football decisions etc etc, half the support goes one way and half another.

It would be carnage, pure and simple.

The best coach in the world needed on this occasion to prove he could be trusted and relied upon. He has spectacularly failed, even if Inter do keep him on I suspect it would be to force Rafa to walk same as was going on here in the last (piss poor) season.

We need stability. We need unity. Just read these threads and realise how little of that we'd get.

was regularly called a cunt, a fact which seems to be regularly ignored by plenty on here when they give their 'balanced views' on the subject.

Sorry, but again; the only people using that word now are the lovers who keep putting it in other people's mouths so that they appear the reasonable ones and anyone who doesn't wanrt Rafa back or sees his flaws clearly and precisely can be smeared as foul-mouthed haters.

A quick search of the word 'cunt' will prove me correct on this, in fact it seems to becoming like an apologist Tourette's of late.

What a cunt eh?

I am pro-Rafa and would have given him at least another season. We didn't though and having him back would not be a very good idea and certainly not the same as giving him another season or so. As I said at the time, i could understand people feeling the need for a change, but only if the person coming in was better. Change for change sake was not a good idea, and Hodgson's performance so far has rather backed that up.

I am pro-Rafa and would have given him at least another season. We didn't though and having him back would not be a very good idea and certainly not the same as giving him another season or so. As I said at the time, i could understand people feeling the need for a change, but only if the person coming in was better. Change for change sake was not a good idea, and Hodgson's performance so far has rather backed that up.

I totally agree. I would however take him back if we can't find anyone else with a similar pedigree who is, preferably, a bit younger. The worry is that we've already been turned down by deschamps, albeit in different circumstances, and people like coyle really aren't ready.

Dalgish and Coyle, a nod to the past and a nod to the future.

Rafa? Well, no. I was one who said he'd be fine at Inter because he would knuckle down and do what had to be done while he had a two year contract. Whilst Inter have certainly not been too helpful, we yet again have the ugly public spectacle of a coach telling the world that his employers have stabbed him in the back and that he personally cannot be held responsible for what's going wrong.

He can't help himself. He no longer has any sense of The Collective, and he no longer regards himself as an employee.

NESV have little or no currency with Liverpool fans, same as Hicks and Gillett in 2007. When the manager - yes, WHEN - takes them on and appeals directly to the supporters about transfers and Comolli's interference and how little the CEO (if he was Jesus himself) knows about football but he's still making football decisions etc etc, half the support goes one way and half another.

It would be carnage, pure and simple.

The best coach in the world needed on this occasion to prove he could be trusted and relied upon. He has spectacularly failed, even if Inter do keep him on I suspect it would be to force Rafa to walk same as was going on here in the last (piss poor) season.

We need stability. We need unity. Just read these threads and realise how little of that we'd get.

I agree with this. I like Benitez and i think he's a good man, but that post is spot on i'm afraid.