You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Rafa back?

The Dude Abides

yes or no?  

534 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no?

• Yes
    • No

It is a major surprise, especially when you consider the resentment towards rafa on here. Can see him winning polls on other sites by a landslide. Pretty certain the twitter crew will be tweeting Henry the results as well en mass.

Is it? You seem to be forgetting the absolute muppet we have in charge at the moment. Not his fault (Purslow and previous cunt owners), apart from Hodgson not being smart enough to turn it down.

That's why it's in favour of Rafa, plus he's available now. If I only had two options of Roy and Rafa, you don't need a genius to figure out who I'd pick every day of the week. Not that I'd have Rafa back under any circumstances.

If Purslow and co would have selected Pellegrini instead during the summer, we'd probably not discussing the Rafa situation at all.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it? You seem to be forgetting the absolute muppet we have in charge at the moment. Not his fault (Purslow and previous cunt owners), apart from Hodgson not being smart enough to turn it down.

That's why it's in favour of Rafa, plus he's available now. If I only had two options of Roy and Rafa, you don't need a genius to figure out who I'd pick every day of the week. Not that I'd have Rafa back under any circumstances.

If Purslow and co would have selected Pellegrini instead during the summer, we'd probably not discussing the Rafa situation at all.

Rafa Benitez has to be one of the luckiest managers alive. If its not Roy Hodsgon saving him from unemployment, its the ownership situation keeping him in a job. Sure, sometimes circumstances prevail to your benefit but I think we need to acknowledge that Rafa has something about him for the majority to still stay loyal to him. Even with that shitter of a season still stinking fresh in the nostrils and even after taking us backwards after 6 seasons in charge, people want him back and I think that speaks volumes, so yeah I think its a surprise.

Therein lies the crux of the problem: many people felt it was inevitable that the board in charge of the club at the time would not appoint the right man. Many wanted Rafa to stay not because they'd overlooked or apologised for all his deficiencies, but because it seemed clear that no better manager would come to work for the club with the condition it was in.

Pellegrini would have been a good shout but Purslow/Broughton were media-men and they appointed Hodgson short-sightedly on the back of some good press and an LMA award.

That is a huge part of why there's so much bitterness involved. A lot of people who wanted Rafa to stay didn't think he was the messiah, but hated the way he was portrayed by the media as a villain, hated the people running the club, and hated that those who were in charge of the decisions allowed them to be made by newspapers and commentators who have no idea what's best for the club.

You say you wouldn't have Rafa back under any circumstances, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out who you'd pick between him and Hodgson. Well a lot of people felt that our choice was that - or similar - before Benitez was sacked and we sold ourselves down the river to please the papers. It doesn't surprise me that people can't stop talking about it because within that context it is one of the most foolish and pathetic things our club has ever done, and it stands as a remnant of the absolute travesty the club could have become if G&H were still around.

20 million a year net spend, seventh place finish, sacked by NESV with an ambitious young coach waiting in the wings and we wouldn't even be talking about this. All of the division isn't about Benitez, it's about the direction the club was taking when it allowed him to be sacked. Fans are pulling against one another because some think that the direction was right and others think it was appalling.

Therein lies the crux of the problem: many people felt it was inevitable that the board in charge of the club at the time would not appoint the right man. Many wanted Rafa to stay not because they'd overlooked or apologised for all his deficiencies, but because it seemed clear that no better manager would come to work for the club with the condition it was in.

Pellegrini would have been a good shout but Purslow/Broughton were media-men and they appointed Hodgson short-sightedly on the back of some good press and an LMA award.

That is a huge part of why there's so much bitterness involved. A lot of people who wanted Rafa to stay didn't think he was the messiah, but hated the way he was portrayed by the media as a villain, hated the people running the club, and hated that those who were in charge of the decisions allowed them to be made by newspapers and commentators who have no idea what's best for the club.

You say you wouldn't have Rafa back under any circumstances, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out who you'd pick between him and Hodgson. Well a lot of people felt that our choice was that - or similar - before Benitez was sacked and we sold ourselves down the river to please the papers. It doesn't surprise me that people can't stop talking about it because within that context it is one of the most foolish and pathetic things our club has ever done, and it stands as a remnant of the absolute travesty the club could have become if G&H were still around.

20 million a year net spend, seventh place finish, sacked by NESV with an ambitious young coach waiting in the wings and we wouldn't even be talking about this. All of the division isn't about Benitez, it's about the direction the club was taking when it allowed him to be sacked. Fans are pulling against one another because some think that the direction was right and others think it was appalling.

This is actually, word for word, what I was about to type - thanks for saving me 10 minutes and 17 seconds TheResonator.

Rafa wont be given the job for the same reason that Dalglish wont be given it they would be impossilbe to sack if they did a have decent job.

NESV would probably see both managers as a safe pair of hands until they got there number one target whoever that is.

If either of them did a decent job then why would they want to sack them?

Thats always been my line of thought. I've no desire to bring Rafa back and wasn't opposed to his sacking but I fucking detest that the media, especially cuntface Murdoch's main outlets just have the most obvious biased agenda against him and some of our fans have got sucked into it.

People can say what they like about the Liverpool way and all the standards we are supposed to have but when we start letting the media influence our decision making then we're utterly fucked. And I don't even mean Rafa being sacked. I mean worrying about what the media think when appointing a manager.

Guest PurpleNose
I would rather keep Hodgson as a lame duck manager than bring back Benitez. There, I said it.

We might still have Crouch and Benayoun if Rafa hadn't alienated them for shit like Kuyt.

Is this a level?

I would rather keep Hodgson as a lame duck manager than bring back Benitez. There, I said it.

We might still have Crouch and Benayoun if Rafa hadn't alienated them for shit like Kuyt.

What utter nonsense. Also, benayoun left after benitez did and crouch wanted to leave as he wasn't playing enough cos for some reason benitez continued to select torres ahead of him. Its idiotic, ill informed opinions like yours that turn this whole process into a slanging match between various 'factions'. Most rational liverpool supporters want the best manager we can get at the club. You, however, are happy to retain a 'lame duck' because rafa sold peter crouch?! Completely bizarre. The same goes for the twats that wouldn't have mourinho here 'cos hes a bit of a knob' or because him and rafa don't get on.

Is this a level?

They're both wrong, but one is easily replaceable. The other inspires fanatical devotion for winning a single trophy 5 years ago.

Kuyt on a bad day is less infuriating than Crouch, Benayoun's not any better.

Since Yossi arrived:

Kuyt:

PL Starts: 95

PL Goals (open play): 20

PL Assists: 13

Benayoun:

PL Starts: 49

PL Goals (open play): 18

PL Assists: 10

Care to revise your statement?

Yes. It won't happen, and would only reopen wounds within a section of our support who where happy to see the back of him, but I'm not going to lie and pretend I wasn't absolutely devastated when he left. I love the feller and I know that somewhere in there, beyond the politics and unrest of the past few seasons, is one of the best managers in the world. The Rafa who won 2 titles and a Uefa Cup at Valencia, our Rafa before 2010, I'd deffo have that Rafa back.

Spot on. I voted yes by the way... Would be a nice way to phase Carra out as well:whistle:

Yes. It won't happen, and would only reopen wounds within a section of our support who where happy to see the back of him, but I'm not going to lie and pretend I wasn't absolutely devastated when he left. I love the feller and I know that somewhere in there, beyond the politics and unrest of the past few seasons, is one of the best managers in the world. The Rafa who won 2 titles and a Uefa Cup at Valencia, our Rafa before 2010, I'd deffo have that Rafa back.

He's so entwined with the 'politics and unrest' though

The old Rafa's long gone.

I love him for what he did, same way I love Ged but loving someone doesnt mean you cant criticise them or fall out with them.

He's so entwined with the 'politics and unrest' though

The old Rafa's long gone.

I love him for what he did, same way I love Ged but loving someone doesnt mean you cant criticise them or fall out with them.

I totally agree mate. I've never had a problem with the constructive criticisms of the man. Constructive criticism is healthy and anyone could see that he wasn't perfect.