You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Rafa back?

The Dude Abides

yes or no?  

534 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no?

• Yes
    • No

Look at us.

Why would any top manager want to roll up here?

There's only 4 champs league places, and the money that Spurs and Man City have brought to the party...well you're all quite frankly mental if you think Deschamps or Mourinho or anyone else would fancy joining this epic fail party.

United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs. Which two of those teams are going to fall away and give us a shot at 4th place then?

Without massive long-term investment, we're fucked.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess because of the way I read the question. It seemed more of a vote of confidence in Benitez than anything to do with Hodgson.

And I, personally, have no confidence in Benitez whatsoever.

Its comments like this that i don't understand at all. Surely you would have confidence in Benitez managing a side in european competition? You do know that its not a choice between love and hate don't you?

Its comments like this that i don't understand at all. Surely you would have confidence in Benitez managing a side in european competition? You do know that its not a choice between love and hate don't you?

Yeah, I do.

To quantify; I would have absolutely no confidence in Benitez arresting this decline. The very decline he played a big part in instigating (in my view).

Go on Carradona, please respond to dirk grout's post.

Rafa left (the person who Yossi allegedly felt alienated by) and Yossi still left liverpool for CHELSEA, one of our biggest rivals.

In response to you and Dirk Grout.

Benayoun already agreed to leave us and go to Chelsea before Rafa had left. He wasn't sure whether or not Rafa was going to still be here this season so he engineered a move away for himself because he was told he didn't have a future at the club. Which I think is fair game.

How can this be compared to Mascherano? A player who actually refused to play for us while he was still under contract.

Why didn't you say that in the first place?

I thought it was a given, as the question is; "Would you have Rafa back?".

I am not looking to antagonise anyone or get in to some sort of lame slanging match. I actually am genuinely surprised at how many people would have him back. And that is pretty much what I said.

In response to you and Dirk Grout.

Benayoun already agreed to leave us and go to Chelsea before Rafa had left. He wasn't sure whether or not Rafa was going to still be here this season so he engineered a move away for himself because he was told he didn't have a future at the club. Which I think is fair game.

How can this be compared to Mascherano? A player who actually refused to play for us while he was still under contract.

So when rafa left, why didn't benayoun change his mind and stay? He hadn't signed a contract. It can be compared to mascherano because they both left for exactly the same reasons. They thought the grass was greener elsewhere. I know its strange for neither rafa or roy to be resonsible for something going tits up these days, but it does happen.

I thought it was a given, as the question is; "Would you have Rafa back?".

I am not looking to antagonise anyone or get in to some sort of lame slanging match. I actually am genuinely surprised at how many people would have him back. And that is pretty much what I said.

Fair enough mate its just becoming pretty tiresome the way some people (code72 is the main culprit) try to belittle rafas every achievement to justify their stance. Its all a bit andy gray.

I think there is an element of that to it mate yes.

I think a big problem was that many people saw it as a black and white issue, when in reality it wasn't. I can only speak from my experience, but I found that if you still backed him towards the end of last season, people saw you as having blind faith and obsession, when in reality that wasn't the case at all. I recognised his failings, recognised his mistakes, but still felt that he'd built up more than enough credit in the bank to be given the chance to turn it around. Way more than enough. Like I said though, I can only speak from my experience of being someone who still backed him. It's just a shame it all come down to all the bitterness really.

Spot on.

One poor season (combined with a lot mitigating circumstances) seemed to cloud a lot of people’s judgement on how far we have actually come in the last 6 years. Ironically Hodgson is having to pay the price for those raised expectations. Rafa during his tenure made us kings of Europe, gave us our first meaningful title challenge in 20 years, countless nights where we bossed Europe’s elite and above all made us believe and dream again.

Did he make mistakes along the way? Of course he did.

Was he a worthy Liverpool manager and one that had built up enough credit and belief to try and turn around one season of underachievement? Of course he did.

I would have him back in a heartbeat.

Have to say I'm surprised that, on here especially, a majority of fans want to give Rafa another shot at LFC. It seems to me that many of those who voted 'yes' looked at the question as 'would you rather have Rafa here over Roy?' and voted on that basis. That, at least, would make sense and be in keeping with the tedious 'debates' surrounding both of them over the last months, although I don't see why so many fans believe the only two managers in club football are Benitez and Hodgson, and that any criticism/defence of one is inferred as a criticism/defence of the other.

Anyway, bringing Rafa back would be a disasterous decision IMO, one which would make my faith in NESV's judgement fall through the floor. Although I wanted him out by the end, I never had the same resentment for him that others do, and I genuinely wish him all the best for the future, but he's shown time and again that he struggles to work with people, and has no qualms about mouthing off to the media when he dosen't get what he wants - which is ultimately total control over every footballing decision at the club. NESV, both in what they've said, their record in the States, and in appointing a DOF, want management by consensus. Whether or not you agree with this aproach, it's as clear as fucking day that Rafa dosen't. The idea that he could work with Comolli is ridiculous IMO.

I genuinely can't comprehend that 60% of those who voted would want Rafa back. I can most definitely comprehend he is a better manager than Hodgson, because he obviously is, but other than that, I am mystified.

It's all about opinions of course but this particular view has me stumped.

Dont worry, there is always the moderate, 'silent majority' of 30%.

Sorry, but again; the only people using that word now are the lovers who keep putting it in other people's mouths so that they appear the reasonable ones and anyone who doesn't wanrt Rafa back or sees his flaws clearly and precisely can be smeared as foul-mouthed haters.

A quick search of the word 'cunt' will prove me correct on this, in fact it seems to becoming like an apologist Tourette's of late.

What a cunt eh?

Sorry mate but this is just a lie, plain and simple.

Try searching 'Tom R' for one.

So when rafa left, why didn't benayoun change his mind and stay? He hadn't signed a contract. It can be compared to mascherano because they both left for exactly the same reasons. They thought the grass was greener elsewhere. I know its strange for neither rafa or roy to be resonsible for something going tits up these days, but it does happen.

This is just a guess, and this is not a dig at Benitez, but maybe Yossi is just a man of his word and had already told Chelsea he was signing for them and that was that.

I still don't think it is comparable to Mascherano. Yossi was told he didn't have a future. Roy emphasised that he wanted to keep Mascherano but admitted that he would have to sell for the right price. Mascherano had a menstrual fit and refused to play, which for me is much, much worse than what Michael Owen has done in recent years.

Outside of the personal stuff and the split it would cause between the fans lets not forget here that he has failed spectacularly with Inter. A very decent side, current European champs and (technically) going for 6 in row in their domestic league.

His recent managerial record is simply not too good. As a top level manager his stock is falling dramatically.

Outside of the personal stuff and the split it would cause between the fans lets not forget here that he has failed spectacularly with Inter. A very decent side, current European champs and (technically) going for 6 in row in their domestic league.

His recent managerial record is simply not too good. As a top level manager his stock is falling dramatically.

I wouldn't say he failed spectacularly to be honest. He won 2 trophies and if they win their games in hand they will be 7 points off top, same (i think) as chelsea.

Spot on.

One poor season (combined with a lot mitigating circumstances) seemed to cloud a lot of people’s judgement on how far we have actually come in the last 6 years. Ironically Hodgson is having to pay the price for those raised expectations. Rafa during his tenure made us kings of Europe, gave us our first meaningful title challenge in 20 years, countless nights where we bossed Europe’s elite and above all made us believe and dream again.

Did he make mistakes along the way? Of course he did.

Was he a worthy Liverpool manager and one that had built up enough credit and belief to try and turn around one season of underachievement? Of course he did.

I would have him back in a heartbeat.

Exactly how far did we come under Benitez, RSM? What were the major differences between when he arrived and when he left to justify that statement? Genuine questions there.

And do you really think Hodgson is suffering in comparison? Really? Do you think we'd be satisfied sitting tenth after nigh on half a season under any manager? I don't.