You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anger as 'hit and run' asylum seeker stays in Britain

Section_31

This is on the front page of nearly every paper and I must say I'm baffled by it. Apparently the fact he hit the girl means he 'has no human rights'. How does that work then? He should be tried sperately, which he has been, but that should have no bearing whatsoever on the entirely seperate matter of whether or not he's allowed to stay in the country.

I wait with baited breath to see what Jane MCdonald's take on all this will be on Loose Women.

Read more: Anger as Amy Houston's dad slams decision to allow driver Aso Mohammed Ibrahim to stay | Metro.co.uk

Paul Houston, whose daughter Amy was killed in a hit-and-run by asylum-seeker Aso Mohammed Ibrahim, has hit out at a decision to allow the driver to stay in Britain.

Read more: Anger as Amy Houston's dad slams decision to allow driver Aso Mohammed Ibrahim to stay | Metro.co.uk

Houston said it was a ‘ridiculous state of affairs’ that Ibrahim would not be kicked out.

The 33-year-old Iraqi Kurd left Amy Houston, 12, dying under the wheels of his car while already banned from driving.

He was jailed for four months but allowed to stay in Britain on his release.

Amy’s father, who had to take a decision to turn off her life-support machine, backed an appeal by the UK Border Agency to return Ibrahim to his home country.

Yesterday, two senior immigration judges rejected the appeal on the grounds of his right to life and to family life.

‘I’m really angry. We should all be angry. It is a ridiculous state of affairs,’ said Mr Houston, 41, from Darwen in Lancashire. ‘What are the judges saying here? They are saying it doesn’t matter what you do when you come here, who you kill, what laws you break, as long as you have a child here you can stay?

‘He’s not a life-saving surgeon or a Nobel prize winner. He was a criminal before, a criminal now and he will continue being a criminal.’

Ibrahim, who now has two children born here, may well have been kicked out had the process begun before he had a family, the judges said.

He knocked down Amy in Blackburn in 2003 and ran off before later giving himself up. He came to Britain in 2001, met a British woman and had his applications for asylum rejected. He was not returned to Iraq because of the security situation at the time.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fair to say he's not endeared himself to those in charge of the process of granting asylum. I can't judge it from the viewpoint of the girl's parents (I hope I'd never be in that position), but whatever the man's predicament in Iraq, his actions appear to be entirely self-serving, and there is the merest hint of a suggestion that some of his problems back home are self-inflicted.

It's fair to say he's not endeared himself to those in charge of the process of granting asylum. I can't judge it from the viewpoint of the girl's parents (I hope I'd never be in that position), but whatever the man's predicament in Iraq, his actions appear to be entirely self-serving, and there is the merest hint of a suggestion that some of his problems back home are self-inflicted.

They're two totally seperate issues though is what I'm saying.

(1) should he have got a longer prison sentence? Definately.

(2) Should he be allowed to stay in this country? Maybe, maybe not.

But one should not influence the other. You can't say "This bloke is a shoplifter, therefore send him back."

I totally understand the anger of the father but as Melons has said, certain papers are exploiting it to suit their own agenda.

The Daily Mail for example, are using it to beat the drum about the Human Rights Act:

Asylum seeker Aso Mohammed Ibrahim who let girl, 12, die can stay in UK | Mail Online

Last night Amy’s father Paul branded the Act an ‘abomination to civilised society’.

He said: ‘This decision shows the Human Rights Act to be nothing more than a charter for thieves, killers, terrorists and illegal immigrants.’

The ruling heaped pressure on Mr Cameron to reinstate a Tory pre-election pledge to abolish the HRA and replace it with a British Bill of Rights. He stated that pledge unequivocally in a letter to Mr Houston, written in January when he was still Leader of the Opposition, and shortly after the death of his son Ivan.

Why should he stay?

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it, maybe he shouldn't stay - by all means, if he doesn't fulfill the criteria then send him back. But don't send him back just because he's an asylum seeker and has done wrong. If that's the reason, then we're differentiating between people based on their race or nationality aren't we? And that's a slippery slope. Should we get an English joyrider and strip him of his 'human rights' too? Even when he's served is sentence?

One proviso I would add though, even though I'm not familiar with his individual circumstances, I can't imagine being a kurd in northern Iraq is much fun these days, especially after the shitstorm of ethnic hatred we ourselves unleashed there.

They're two totally seperate issues though is what I'm saying.

I agree, that's why I was talking about the guy's supposed history prior to the hit-and-run. No question he should have at least done a longer stretch for that. Make no mistake, I have no empathy for hit-and-run drivers. It's because of the wilful nature and sometimes less-than-valid claims of some asylum applicants that the process has become so convoluted, and many genuine applicants get turned away. You get those who are in a world of shit back home through their own stupidity, so they come over here seeking asylum, and try to stay via any little loophole they can. And then continue as they did before. Aso Mohammed Ibrahim seems to fall into that category.

Last night Amy’s father Paul branded the Act an ‘abomination to civilised society’.

No, it's exactly to the contrary, it is the act of a civilised society, whether you like it or not, the idea of the law is to stop mob rule. It's doing it's job unless you think sharia law is better becuase it give the victim the judge and jury power.

He said: ‘This decision shows the Human Rights Act to be nothing more than a charter for thieves, killers, terrorists and illegal immigrants.’

No, sadly it doesn't, show me the terrorists, rapists and illegal immigrants you speak of? Does it just happen that the victim's father is a bit of a Johnny racist? How can he be illegal if the law deems him legal?

The ruling heaped pressure on Mr Cameron to reinstate a Tory pre-election pledge to abolish the HRA and replace it with a British Bill of Rights. He stated that pledge unequivocally in a letter to Mr Houston, written in January when he was still Leader of the Opposition, and shortly after the death of his son Ivan.

Ah, so this is what it's about, media couldn't surely be acting on behalf of some right wing tory nuts to try and gain political capital for a racist cause in an attempt to attack basic human rights? SURELY NOT?

Guest Pistonbroke

I agree with the two incidents being separate issues but the bloke sounds like a fucking cunt. Plus hit and run ending in the death of the young girl, driving whilst banned and he gets 4 fucking months!!!! The whole system sounds fucked in the UK. Back in a Iraq and other countries i dare say he wouldn't have been dealt with so leniently.

Was arguing with someone over this on Facebook last ngiht. If the term 'asylum seeker' was nowhere near this case, and it was just some bellend from wherever; no one would bat an eyelid. But, because it's another chance to scream that this country is going to the dogs due to an invasion of dem foreigners, it's lapped up.

Morons. The Daily Star has a lot to fucking answer for.

I agree with the two incidents being separate issues but the bloke sounds like a fucking cunt. Plus hit and run ending in the death of the young girl, driving whilst banned and he gets 4 fucking months!!!! The whole system sounds fucked in the UK. Back in a Iraq and other countries i dare say he wouldn't have been dealt with so leniently.

I do agree in terms of the sentence, he should be facing years surely (Although not familiar enough with the details) but that is separate, people need to understand from his right to be in this country which is immaterial to the case against him and his actions and whether he would have got a different sentence in Iraq or outer mongolia is neither here nor there.

Guest Pistonbroke
I do agree in terms of the sentence, he should be facing years surely (Although not familiar enough with the details) but that is separate, people need to understand from his right to be in this country which is immaterial to the case against him and his actions and whether he would have got a different sentence in Iraq or outer mongolia is neither here nor there.

It was used more as a comparison as to how lenient these cunts get treated regardless of what nationality they are. 4 months for the offences he committed is a piss take.

He ran from the scene on foot rather than in a car. He was I think without licence, insurance, banned and on bail.

To be fair, he's not going to find an insurer without a licence and being banned means also he won't have a licence or get one issued. Not sure about the bail part or how that will affect his no claims bonus but hope this helps clear up the matter.

The spineless twat immigration judges have failed this country once again on this occasion.

As far as I am aware he has married a UK citizen and has 2 small children (both under 5).

Rules state that there would be no compelling reason as to why he/they could not re-locate back to Iraq as a family unit, as the children are not yet in their formative years (not started school yet). If he truly loved his family he would not potentially argue against this. My guess is that he loves the Government support more he is currently receiving.

Should have enforced his deportation after his 1st crime and this situation would not have arisen.

Oh and there is also an immigration law/paragraph on criminal activity by Asylum Seekers.

Cunt will have a lawyer quoting every para in the book to get this snivelling piece of shit off the hook.

Hopefully justice may come full circle 1 day.

The spineless twat immigration judges have failed this country once again on this occasion.

As far as I am aware he has married a UK citizen and has 2 small children (both under 5).

Rules state that there would be no compelling reason as to why he/they could not re-locate back to Iraq as a family unit, as the children are not yet in their formative years (not started school yet). If he truly loved his family he would not potentially argue against this. My guess is that he loves the Government support more he is currently receiving.

Should have enforced his deportation after his 1st crime and this situation would not have arisen.

Oh and there is also an immigration law/paragraph on criminal activity by Asylum Seekers.

Cunt will have a lawyer quoting every para in the book to get this snivelling piece of shit off the hook.

Hopefully justice may come full circle 1 day.

Er, deportation has nothing at all do with the crime so how has anyone failed this country?

The only issue is his sentence length anything else is not interested in justice.