You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How we get out of this mess

Toddler

Personally think we are a hell of a long way off being out of the mess.

Hodgson needs to go as I can't see us ever being successful playing like Wimbledon but the players and coaching staff all need to take a good look at themselves too.

For me at the moment the only players I think are worth keeping that are around the first team squad are Pepe, Carra (although he is on the down slope now and shouldn't necessarily be 1st choice), Lucas, Raul, Stevie, Jonjo, Wilson, Kelly, N'Gog, Patches and Nando (if we can get him out of his lack of form/fitness/mental issues or whatever the hell is wrong at the moment). The rest although probably good enough to get us top four I can't see really ever making us contenders.

The fact that we could probably finish top four if we attacked away from home probably says more about the league at the moment than the quality of our players as for the most part the quality of other teams in the league seems to have dropped considerably this season.

It's not an easy fix though, even if by some miracle we did manage 4th this season there is still a lot to do. It's hard trying to be objective on things though, I love Kuyt for his work rate and his attitude for us and love the Greek but the simple fact is at the point they are in their careers they only way the are going to go is downwards.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that we could probably finish top four if we attacked away from home probably says more about the league at the moment than the quality of our players as for the most part the quality of other teams in the league seems to have dropped considerably this season.

This is worth a thread by itself; I think the quality of the league has improved resulting in their being much less of a gap between best and worst. The football played by West Brom, Sunderland, Blackpool and others at times makes me quite jealous.

Unless things improve greatly we will not qualify for Europe next year; still, think of the money I will save.

Even if our away form was half of what our home form is we would be sitting pretty in the top 4 now.

Small details have gone against us in the last two games which while still very disappointing is encouraging as well. We missed easy chances at critical stages of the last two away games when we were on top and ended up paying the price. It whilst still not being good enough because we lost is better than us just not doing ANYTHING away from home as was the case in the first few away games and giving up in meek surrender as we did v City and Everton in particular. We have got 0 points from the last couple of away games but it could quite easily have been 6 if we had been more clinical at certain times of the game.

Torres was going to be the key to how well or poorly we did this season. He has in the main, stank the place out, until we get a couple of players to lessen the goalscoring burden while Torres is out of sorts we will continue to struggle away in particular.

Attention to details wins you football matches.

I wonder what goes on the training ground with Roy Hogdsons Liverpool.

The performances have certainly improved from the dire Everton, Man C and Stoke games. However I have only seen glimpses of good football.

We played very good the first 20 minutes of the Wigan game, and then we just ran out of steam. And we were very lucky not to lose that game. We seem to lack fitness, and I cannot remember seeing us play even one half of good football.

I don’t think there is a chance in hell Roy will get more than a 7-10 place, and want him replaced yesterday…

Even if our away form was half of what our home form is we would be sitting pretty in the top 4 now.

Small details have gone against us in the last two games which while still very disappointing is encouraging as well. We missed easy chances at critical stages of the last two away games when we were on top and ended up paying the price. It whilst still not being good enough because we lost is better than us just not doing ANYTHING away from home as was the case in the first few away games and giving up in meek surrender as we did v City and Everton in particular. We have got 0 points from the last couple of away games but it could quite easily have been 6 if we had been more clinical at certain times of the game.

Torres was going to be the key to how well or poorly we did this season. He has in the main, stank the place out, until we get a couple of players to lessen the goalscoring burden while Torres is out of sorts we will continue to struggle away in particular.

Fuck me sideways and call me Sally.

I partially agree with regards Spurs, but not Newcastle.

I partially agree on the small details thing. When we finished 2nd a few years ago it was equally true.

However, when small details go against you in most away matches it becomes apparent that the small details are in actual fact pretty fucking big details and then you've got to act

If Torres wasn't here we'd be in the relegation zone.

If we can only create one chance away from home, then that's a team problem, you can't just blame it on the striker.

You're going to have days when Torres is going to take his only chance when it comes to him, like West Brom at home & Wigan away. There are going to be other times where Torres will miss his only chance of the game like Spurs away and Newcastle away, he's a very good striker, but we can't expect him to score every chance he gets.

Combination of the fact we've got a shit squad and Roy being a shite manager, a recipe for football disaster to be sure. The shitness of ths squad is rarely mentioned though and can not be overstated.

Is this not by and large the same squad that finished 2nd in 08/09 and the same squad that underperformed last year and the Manager got sacked becuase of it?

Are you saying that we should expect to be where we are given the "strength" of the squad?

Is this not by and large the same squad that finished 2nd in 08/09 and the same squad that underperformed last year and the Manager got sacked becuase of it?

Are you saying that we should expect to be where we are given the "strength" of the squad?

No, he is saying that the shit squad and shit manager combo isn't working for us.

Sack Budgie immediately.

Sell players that have no business being anywhere near a Liverpool shirt:

Konchesky

Lucas

Eggnog

Skrtel

Zorba

Maxi

Poulsen

Buy some better players.

Employ a better manager.

lucas????? have you seen any liverpool games this year???

Yeah. He's nowhere near good enough. He's pretty shit actually.

lucas has been our best player this season by a mile,all the others i agree with mate,but lucas has turned into a quality player this season..bigger,stronger and his pass rate this season is excellent...id rather lucas behind the midfield than most other defensive midfielders in the league.

Sack Budgie immediately.

Sell players that have no business being anywhere near a Liverpool shirt:

Konchesky

Lucas

Eggnog

Skrtel

Zorba

Maxi

Poulsen

Buy some better players.

Employ a better manager.

Agree with this completely, except I would take N'Gog and Kyrgiakos off the list and put Kuyt and Jovanovic on there. And maybe Agger, as he never seems to be fit.

lucas has been our best player this season by a mile,all the others i agree with mate,but lucas has turned into a quality player this season..bigger,stronger and his pass rate this season is excellent...id rather lucas behind the midfield than most other defensive midfielders in the league.

The praise some people are giving Lucas is ridiculous. Borderline insanity even. Lucas has played really well in a few games, ok in a few others and like Lucas of last season in the rest. He's improved, no doubt about that - and the Chelsea game in particular, he was boss, but you need to be realistic about him. He's a £6m International midfielder, not a £500k Championship gamble - the only issue however is he's only looked like a Brazilian International about 10% of the time he's been with us - i've no problem with him being here but we need performances from him week in week out, not once every 10 games. Personally i wouldn't sell him - but as with Kuyt - we're not in a position where we can afford to carry passengers anymore, everyone needs to up their game before we get left behind. We should be taking advantage of the teams at the top slipping up, but somehow were falling further behind, and thats inexcusable. Manager and players need to sort it out fast.

And player of the season so far? Its Reina, Miereles or Gerrard.

Beyond pathetic; it's just sheer desperation now. Fess up ffs, your man's a fucking joke.