You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

University

robbief

I was accepted on an accounting degree with Edge Hill last year however I broke my leg in the september and they allowed me to start this year instead as I couldn't drive and was 'off my feet' for a long while.

Anyway I'm made up it has fallen as it has because my fees are around £3400 per year and will freeze at that even if my course is still running when the new fee tariff kicks in. I've already got the cash to pay for 2 of the 3 years but I'm not sure whether or not I should just get the loan anyway? I'm a little confused with how this all works but I believe you pay it back at something like less than £8 a week anyway....... Any body have any experience with the financial side of things?

As for the actual course, I studied a business course at college which gave me the knowledge to carry out basic accounting practices. For the last two years around March time I have been doing all my mates tax returns which has been rediculously easy. Most accountants charge £120 for the priviledge of doing this job and I was getting £80. It is true that a good accountant saves you money so charges are not really an issue however when it comes to forking out £120 up front you will find many sole traders more than willing to save forty quid! I have no doubts that I'll take to the course really well and I am dedicated enough to stick at it and work hard to gain top marks.

If you can live without the loan then avoid taking it

depending on your circumstances and what edge hill offers, taking the full loan may open other options.

Maybe take it, bang it in a high interest account and pay it back next summer? do the same the following year?

depending on your circumstances and what edge hill offers, taking the full loan may open other options.

Maybe take it, bang it in a high interest account and pay it back next summer? do the same the following year?

Yea, I intended to do this and ended up spunking the money away (and I`m a sensible sort usually).

I was mislead with my loan and told the interest would always be negligible - below the rate of inflation and unlikely to move above 1%. I have since been charged at least 4.5% and when we were in deflation the balance still rose due to some loophole. The days of hooray Henry's making a profit on Student loans seem to be a thing of the past, proceed with extreme caution...

I was mislead with my loan and told the interest would always be negligible - below the rate of inflation and unlikely to move above 1%. I have since been charged at least 4.5% and when we were in deflation the balance still rose due to some loophole. The days of hooray Henry's making a profit on Student loans seem to be a thing of the past, proceed with extreme caution...

The reason for this Rem, is because of the historically low interest rates.

So far as I understand, interest rates are so low that in my case last year I had a slight negative rate. But now they use RPI or inflation to screw more back.

I'm at the very tail of paying back an old style loan. So my interest rate was supposed to be a percent or so below base, but this year it had crept up to about 4% for the rest of my loan (a few months).

It would probably still be a way to make a moderate sum if interest rates were anything like their average though or you could secure a really great rate. In the current savings market using a cash product it's probably not worth the effort.