You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle United away match thread

fowler9

can Roy manage us to a second away league win of the season or would that be asking too much, under Hughton i would've expected them to beat us (thanks Roy) but now I'm not sure what i expect, I would play a team i expect many will disagree with and go out on the attack and try to score early on but I doubt this will happen

----------------Pepe---------------

Johnson----Soto----Skrtel-----Aurelio

Maxi------Lucas---Meireles------Babel

------------Ngog---Torres------------

subs

Jones

Kelly

Wilson

Shelvey

Stevie

Cole

Kuyt

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can Roy manage us to a second away league win of the season or would that be asking too much, under Hughton i would've expected them to beat us (thanks Roy) but now I'm not sure what i expect, I would play a team i expect many will disagree with and go out on the attack and try to score early on but I doubt this will happen

----------------Pepe---------------

Johnson----Soto----Skrtel-----Aurelio

Maxi------Lucas---Meireles------Babel

------------Ngog---Torres------------

subs

Jones

Kelly

Wilson

Shelvey

Stevie

Cole

Kuyt

I think you should be a bit more specific with your starting XI and subs bench.

Reina

Johnson Greek Skrtel Aurelio

Gerrard Meireles Lucas

Maxi

Torres Babel

4-3-1-2.

Different

And let's beat them.

That formation would put a lot of creative pressure on Maxi, who is more of a team player rather than a playmaker.

It's all useless hypotheticals though because we know it's gonna be 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

We're going to play the same 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 as we always do. I really don't reckon we'll have any shockers in the squad or formation. I just hope we aren't too focused on playing defensively as we always do in away matches, but that might be too much to hope for.

I'm pretty confident about Soto and Skrtel being able to handle Carroll. They did well Davies against Bolton, and I think they do best against physical forwards like Carroll.

I'm honestly much more curious in how Newcastle respond. Normally clubs can have SOME reason to sack a manager to point to that the players can accept: points, transfers, form, etc. You could argue that they were on something of a bad run (2 draws, 3 losses) but they still drew Chelsea! He got them promoted and has them midtable despite being a favorite to go down to start the season. And by all accounts, the players loved him (judging by the interviews after the axe). A lot of times, you get a game or two where a team plays out of its skins after an axe, but it'll be interesting after such a baffling one. Hopefully they're shite, considering we're shite away, and hopefully our shite will smell just a tad bit better.

------------ Nando ----- Babel ------------------

Maxi -------- Lucas ------ Raul -------- Stevie----

Fabio -------- Soto ------- Skrtel ------- Johnson-

---------------------- Pepe-----------------------

Not going to happen though.. He doesn't have the balls to ask Stevie to play wide right.

It all depends on whether Gerrard is fit. Rumours were that he may not make it but he probably will and if he is fit i cant see him not starting. Do we go 4-2-3-1 or stick to 4-4-2 to accommodate everyone. Its a nice issue Hodgson has really but for me i think he should play with the same formation he has been playing past few games, we look so much more balanced with 4-4-2 currently. However saying that i cant see him playing Gerrard on the right nor asking Meireles to play right when he has been brilliant alongside lucas past 2-3 games so i can see Hodgson going for

------------------Reina-----------------

Johnson----Soto------Skrtel----Konchesky

------------Lucas-----Meireles---------

Babel----------Gerrard------------Maxi

-----------------Torres-----------------

Subs

Jones

Kelly

Aurelio

Shelvey

Cole

Kuyt

Ngog

I do think Babel needs to play. Past 2 games he has been really good, he deserves to stay in but only my opinion.