You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is this season a write-off already?

redfromtubebar

I think one of the most disappointing aspects of this season, to date, is that none of the top 4 sides have exactly set the world alight and have dropped more points than you would normally expect them to have yet we are still so far behind them and show few signs of being able to take advantage of their slip-ups.

The 2005/2006 or the 2008/2009 Liverpool team would walk away with this league in my opinion.

Yep, Arsenal are top, 13 points clear of us without even half a season gone and have lost at home to Spurs, West Brom and Newcastle. Its fucking disgusting really.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not man.

No way to prove it.

Doesnt matter.

Ergo - Not relevant.

Would we be higher up with a different manager? possibly depends on who we had.

Would we be higher up with Rafa? Personally I think so.

Not relevant. I would say its the most relevant questions left now the ownership issue is over.

Would we be higher up with a different manager? possibly depends on who we had.

Would we be higher up with Rafa? Personally I think so.

Not relevant. I would say its the most relevant questions left now the ownership issue is over.

Its as relevant as a cat flap in an elephant parlour.

He isnt the manager.

If he was , no one can possibly know how well we'd be fairing right now.

You can guess. If you really feel the need to. But it doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

Of course it is.

I think if Rafa had stayed and all the results and performances had been exactly the same, then now might be a legitimate time to consider sacking the manager and lettting our stable (and not hugely indebted) ownership look for a suitable replacement.

Instead, we now get people calling for the head of a comparatively new manager, who may or may not be able to turn this season round.

Basically, the sacking of Rafa achieved absolutely nothing. Who knew?

Still, Woy's the boss now, so he has my support and I desperately, desperately want him to continue the half-century run of trophy-winning Reds managers. Dublin in May would be nice.

Do we really want to go down that road tho? Again.

No. It really fuckin fucks me off how almost every thread on here and other fora keeps transcending into a fuckin Rafa fuckin debate.

We've had more than one fuckin manager at this club, Im grateful to the man of course and always will be for what he did achieve for the club, but for fuckin fucks sake lets stop it. Please. Please. Please.

Guest PurpleNose

We could still win the FA Cup, Europa League, and finish in the top four.

With a different manager.

The constant moving of goalposts from both manager and some fans isn't warranted.

If we don't sack Roy by the end of this month and replace him with someone competent this season is fucked up. If we do we've got a good chance if the right players are brought in during the transfer window because this season is the most open season I've ever seen. No one are consistent and that might help us, although we'd obviously have to start winning games, and lots of them as soon as possible. I'm especially worried about the ultra-tight christmas schedule, which will be the ultimate test if we're getting something out of this season.

Clearly we've been doing all kinds of wrong this season, but what annoys me the most is the disappointing string of results we've had since the Chelsea game. A massive opportunity wasted in my opinion.

Odd theory - that a buyer would be put off by an established manager with a reputation as one of Europe's best, but would be more attracted by a newly-installed manager with a mediocre reputation. Hmmm?

It is just a theory, but I don't see it as them being attracted by Hodgson - just they didn't want Benitez, who is well-known as being a pain in the arse for owners, and who wasn't getting the best out of the squad, but who a section of the fans still supported.....if I was buying a club, I'd rather get it with a clear placeholder manager than with an entrenched, embittered lightning rod manager who they may need to fire. Especially if you aren't able to splash the cash immediately.

But again, it's just a theory. We don't know what any of the potential owners wanted to see happen before they cemented their interest.

Its not impossible for us to drag ourselves back into the 4th place race but we're lagging behind and in danger of being cut adrift.

But a good run of results could see us catch up. Problem is can't see that happening under Roy. Too inconsistent. So its looky very likely that is an utter clusterfuck of a write off.

It's depressing to think the 08/09 team would piss the league this year

Well most of the 08/09 team is still there and isn't pissing the league.

But we can and will compete for 4th spot. 2 weeks ago we were 3 points off it. With 2 home games in the next 3, a lot can change again. While we've still got Europe to look forward to after Christmas. There's plenty to play for.

I'll tell you how I am seeing it.

This season is a complete write off and is to be seen as a transitional season. Anything better is s bonus not a serious expectation. And you know what, I think Nesv deserve my respect and patience in this.

They took over a mess, that can't be fixed over night. If we find ourselves saying all this in a years time them it may be time to ask questions but for now, I think we just have to accept taking one step backwards so long as we end up taking 10 forward, that's the best thing to do'.

I've been to see Phil Neal today and he was at great pains to point out that the league position today is no worse than at this stage of the season in 1981.

Also, we're still in the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup!

You can pull the duvet over your head for the next 6 months if you like, but I feel like I've had my batteries recharged today.

What was that all about , was he playing the lead role in " a christmas carol" by any chance ?

I'll tell you how I am seeing it.

This season is a complete write off and is to be seen as a transitional season. Anything better is s bonus not a serious expectation. And you know what, I think Nesv deserve my respect and patience in this.

They took over a mess, that can't be fixed over night. If we find ourselves saying all this in a years time them it may be time to ask questions but for now, I think we just have to accept taking one step backwards so long as we end up taking 10 forward, that's the best thing to do'.

The problem is , we've had far too many transitional seasons in the last 20 years .

We should just fuck hodgson off right now and get someone in who can actually motivate the players and make them believe in themselves.

The current manager is an embarrassment, a total fucking buffoon who's comments get more pathetic by the day. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by shipping the old fool out today.

The manager is the only reason that I think that this season is a write off. With a different manager with a more attacking outlook and positive attitude I think that top 2 or 3 would be quite attainable, even now. FFS we have quality players that this manager just can`t get the best from.

It may be an unpopular view with some people, but, if we don't achieve 4th place, and there's no reason to think we will, considering our current form, then I don't want us to get into the Europa League places either. Not that we'd have to hold ourselves back or anything to do that.

But on the basis that Hodgson will not be the man in charge next year, I want us to have a season where all we do is play in the Premier League and cups, and not have the ridiculous prospect of playing Europa League games on Thursdays and having every league game shifted accordingly. I honestly cannot remember the last time we played more than a couple of games in succession on Saturday at 3PM. That's not even taking into account having team selection influenced by having a Thursday game before a big league clash. It's all far too much hassle and pain for what benefit it may bring.

I'm just hoping that the new manager can start his first season with only one agenda. The league!

This season was always going to be a write off.

We've got a much poorer squad and a poorer manager than the past 2 seasons.

We need to get rid of Woy and bring in a manger that fits in with NESV's vision, someone who wants to be here for the long haul and is prepared to build a football tam that plays football the right way.

People worry about losing Torres and Reina, but if they want out, then let them go. I'd much rather bring in players that are hungry to be successful at this club, rather than players who just want success.