You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Allez Allez Gerard Houllier

Section_31

I hope Ged gets a proper Anfield welcome on Monday because he thoroughly deserves it. I've personally never understood the animosity some seem to feel toward him.

He destroyed the 'spice boy' image, took on and defeated the coward that was Paul Ince, despite the best efforts of the Sunday red tops.

As our first foreign manager, and one of the first in England, he defied a hostile English media and the 'football establishment', St John only ever referring to him as 'the Frenchman' and Jimmy Greaves delivering such witty insights as pointing out that he looked like an owl - and must therefore be a bad manager.

He toughened us up, gave us our self respect back, and made some of the best signings in our recent history.

Houllier, I salute you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said, Section. He was the manager who delivered the first piece of silverware I ever saw us win, so he'll always have a special place in my heart. I just hope comments about the trio of shite in 2002 and the last two years of his reign are left well out of this thread.

article-0-004E88F600000258-300_233x331.jpg

I believe he is our most successful manager,trophy wise,since Kenny so deserves lots of respect.

He adapted quickly to the English style of play as well as reigniting our European pedigree.

I enjoyed watching his teams play up until his last 18 months but think he deserves a lot of respect for what he achieved here.

Guest the boy

Naturally. The final seasons of his reign were painful, but I won't forget Rome as long as I live. As we crashed out to Celta Vigo I couldn't imagine that a few seasons later we'd be playing the likes of Batistuta in competitive European competition. Dortmund, all rain aside, was a magical day.

2001 was the prelude to all of Rafa's European glories. I can't imagine a single soul will give him a bad reception.

I have a few mates who are Villa fans and they REALLY dont like him.

Sad really, I hope he does well there. I hope it doesn't effect us but i want him to be ok.

I for one will be giving him a massive cheer and walm welcome "home". Still hope we beat him like.

I've found that too, very strange, although I think it's more to do with the fact they liked O'Neill and have somehow tranferred their feelings of frustration to the new man, strangely.

I've found that too, very strange, although I think it's more to do with the fact they liked O'Neill and have somehow tranferred their feelings of frustration to the new man, strangely.

its harsh is what it is. They call him the hampster and want him gone.

I honestly think in time and with his own squad he can do well there.

Hes a good manager , its not the right man for us anymore BUT i would certainly have him over Woy anyday.

Still, we have our own manager problems without worrying about somebody elses.

Still your right, its very strange. MON is gone Get over it.

its harsh is what it is. They call him the hampster and want him gone.

I honestly think in time and with his own squad he can do well there.

Hes a good manager , its not the right man for us anymore BUT i would certainly have him over Woy anyday.

Still, we have our own manager problems without worrying about somebody elses.

Still your right, its very strange. MON is gone Get over it.

He is exactly the same to them what Roy it is to us.

The day there is any other criteria for measuring success is the day we become just another football club.

Well mate,on some forums in recent months,theres been a strange definition of success,eg a European Cup is worth more than a PL title or an FA Cup is miles better than a League Cup because a League Cup is worthless,etc,etc.

But I'm not going to go down that road.

He is exactly the same to them what Roy it is to us.

Yeah maybe your right. I guess because of what he did for us i respect him so i can see his side of things, were as with Roy... i dont see his side of things at all.

Maybe im just a hypocrite. Because i feel sorry for Gerard but not for Roy.

I think the difference is though, We are Liverpool and they are Villa. We deserve the best! They deserve someone pretty good but not the same standard as us.

Thats the way i see it anyway.

Edited by waiting game
just a thought

Yeah maybe your right. I guess because of what he did for us i respect him so i can see his side of things, were as with Roy... i dont see his side of things at all.

Maybe im just a hypocrite. Because i feel sorry for Gerard but not for Roy.

I think the difference is though, We are Liverpool and they are Villa. We deserve the best! They deserve someone pretty good but not the same standard as us.

Thats the way i see it anyway.

Ironically they play a very similar brand of football.

The only thing i would say is that his liverpool references in his early press conferences wont have helped matters either.

Guest PurpleNose
Thank you. The fact that it was slightly hypocritical hadnt passed me by hahaha.

Nothing wrong with abit of double standards, provided your on the winning side.

:whistle:

Houllier and O'Neill are managers of similar ability. Benitez and Hodgson are not.

However, I have no explanation for the animal names.