You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roger Milla and the pygmies

TheHitman

Sadly no photos but this is the first time I have heard this story apparently it is true.

In 1992 Cameroon legend Roger Milla kidnapped 150 jungle pygmies as he bid to set up a charity football tournament. Claiming that it would raise money for their education and health within the African state, matters soon turned pear-shaped when only 50 spectators turned up at the 50,000 all-seater Omnisports stadium to watch teams such as Bee-Sting of Lomie and Ants of Salapoumbe play. Of those who turned up, 25 were ejected after hurling abuse at the pygmies.

A few weeks later, Milla was arrested after the police received complaints that the pygmies had been imprisoned in a single locked room underneath the stadium by an armed guard in a Saddam Hussein T-shirt. A stadium official countered by saying. You dont know the pygmies. They are extremely difficult to control.

A pygmy delegation also complained that they received just one meal in three days. They play better if they dont eat too much, argued the spokesman."

Sadly no photos but this is the first time I have heard this story apparently it is true.

In 1992 Cameroon legend Roger Milla kidnapped 150 jungle pygmies as he bid to set up a charity football tournament. Claiming that it would raise money for their education and health within the African state, matters soon turned pear-shaped when only 50 spectators turned up at the 50,000 all-seater Omnisports stadium to watch teams such as Bee-Sting of Lomie and Ants of Salapoumbe play. Of those who turned up, 25 were ejected after hurling abuse at the pygmies.

A few weeks later, Milla was arrested after the police received complaints that the pygmies had been imprisoned in a single locked room underneath the stadium by an armed guard in a Saddam Hussein T-shirt. A stadium official countered by saying. You dont know the pygmies. They are extremely difficult to control.

A pygmy delegation also complained that they received just one meal in three days. They play better if they dont eat too much, argued the spokesman."

Got to be fake...

When I was in SA this summer, me and my mate took a wrong turn in a shopping centre in Sandton and ended up walking through a hotel lobby, where Roger Milla was standing and getting his photo taken with some Argie fans.

Anyway, we go over and get our photo with him. Very pleasent man.

I ask him to do his dance and show him my inturpretation of it, to which he replies "Huh, huh.........(soul drains from his eye)..........(exaperated sigh)..........Yes"

I don't think he saw the funny side of it.

Anyway, I was still excited to shake his hand. It probably more exciting than having my photo with Gerrard.