You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The definative Hodgson poll.

Bogman

Should Roy be replaced with immediate effect?  

339 members have voted

1. 1. Should Roy be replaced with immediate effect?

• Yes
    • No

I was one of the most vocal against him before we appointed Hodgson, but when we first appointed him it would be nice to see him being given some time at the club before 95% of the fan base starts acting like little girls, especially considering how much time much of the same 95% were willing to give the man who left us in this mess with an less than average squad and no CL football to help lift the spirit and attract players.

But each to their own, I want Hodgson gone as soon as possible, but I also acknowledge the conditions he found this club in when he arrived together with the fact we have new owners and that they should be given time to make their own decisions.

Is that really what's happening though?

Roy was no-one's first choice. No-one's. So immediately we're in uncharted territory here. Especially for Liverpool fans.

Outside of a small minority, (which I'll return to later), he was welcomed, with understandably serious reservations. The Europa League games were a fine start and there was no animosity at all as far as I remember. All the talk near me was about how happy we were with Joe Cole, how sharp N'gog seemed and stuff. No-one slagged the manager off.

After the Man City debacle, the United surrender, the Northapmton town game, the lucky win against West Brom, the Everton defeat, the Wigan defeat and the Stoke humiliation, by then the atmosphere had changed. But answer me this.

In what way does waiting until you have enough information to make up your mind and then making a reasoned decision equate with 'crying like little girls'?

Almost everyone waited until we'd seen enough piss-poor cowardly tactical defensiveness to be able to say, 'right, that's enough'.

And the one's that didn't wait? The one's who immediately said, 'this man's simply not good enough'.?

Well, you can make a strong case that they were right all along.

As a fanbase, I don't think we're split and I don't think we're divided.

Roy's record so far proves he's not up to the job. Look at the league table, look at the stats, ask the people who pay £40 a fucking go to see us set up like a mid-table team hoping that over an entire season we might just sneak more wins than losses if we're lucky.

It's simply not good enough.

I'll be there tonight and I won't fucking boo and I won't chant for Dalglish but I will judge Roy and his managerial regime on what I see and what I've seen so far this season and that doesn't make me a 'crying little girl' if I decide that I'm not happy with that.

You've got no right to make a generalisation like that Code.

You're a good poster but shit like that helps no-one and it's not right and it's not fair.

I am sure you are a nice bloke in real life code but you do talk shite at times. If the FF was a bar, i'm sure most of us would be drinking beer and you'd be sat on the end with a glass of Pernod.

Fair play to code though he isn't on the level of MyKanwarpost but I do think he has a point about the fans on some level I just think he isn't going to turn them round with his whole style on and off the pitch. The millions of fans aren't going to change and when you have such opposition in your own camp it isn't going to work unless you have a thick skinned manger with successful record. Roy has neither. A lot of fans, particularly the older ones wrote Rafa off after the poor start in the league and the FA cup, many wanted rid then maybe even as high as 40% say but others could see that there were a lot of changes for the better and that he was a foreign manager etc. It grew from there on but Roy will not get the same chance and it's down to his previous record and his failings since he came in from top to bottom.

I think Code needs to look at the possesion statistics game by game since the season started as those figures must be shocking enough to him as a scholar of the game to realise, even with 95% support it was never going to happen on any meaningful level in the league here for Roy, Rafa was sacked due to his league failure more than anything and that will only get worse as long as United carry on challenging and we sit under Blackpools and a cup run won't change that.

Roy was no-one's first choice. No-one's. So immediately we're in uncharted territory here. Especially for Liverpool fans.

Outside of a small minority, (which I'll return to later), he was welcomed, with understandably serious reservations. The Europa League games were a fine start and there was no animosity at all as far as I remember. All the talk near me was about how happy we were with Joe Cole, how sharp N'gog seemed and stuff. No-one slagged the manager off.

After the Man City debacle, the United surrender, the Northapmton town game, the lucky win against West Brom, the Everton defeat, the Wigan defeat and the Stoke humiliation, by then the atmosphere had changed. But answer me this.

In what way does waiting until you have enough information to make up your mind and then making a reasoned decision equate with 'crying like little girls'?

Almost everyone waited until we'd seen enough piss-poor cowardly tactical defensiveness to be able to say, 'right, that's enough'.

And the one's that didn't wait? The one's who immediately said, 'this man's simply not good enough'.?

Roy's record so far proves he's not up to the job. Look at the league table, look at the stats, ask the people who pay £40 a fucking go to see us set up like a mid-table team hoping that over an entire season we might just sneak more wins than losses if we're lucky.

I'll be there tonight and I won't fucking boo and I won't chant for Dalglish but I will judge Roy and his managerial regime on what I see and what I've seen so far this season and that doesn't make me a 'crying little girl' if I decide that I'm not happy with that.

You're a good poster but shit like that helps no-one and it's not right and it's not fair.

Aye. Every word of this.

After Rafa quit/ got sacked there were people who had Roy as their first choice to replace him, but that is not really important.

I did not want him here in the first place and at the first PL game of the season I had the discussion with a few from on here about if what we had seen in pre-season was good enough and hat this was the type of football we would see under Roy.

The match against Rabotnicki at home gave me a bit of a hope though, but the first half against Arsenal soon washed that away, the second half was not really football anymore so it was impossible to read anything out of that.

Dont know about your N`Gog comment but wih Cole I agree.

There were a few games in between there though and the atmosphere against Chelsea was excellent as fa as I`m concerned, no one I talked to then had Hodgson leaving high on his agenda, so this is not as easy as you make it out to be.

When you arrange polls you want to send to the new owners it does, no matter what thoughts you had of him before or after he got appointed, especially so soon into his reign and even shorter for our new owners.

I want him out, I never wanted him in the first place, but I do not go running screaming to the owners because of it and neither should anyone else.

I`ve been critical of Hodgson based on his set up, approach and tactics, but its never been personal and I cant for the life of me understand how anyone can build so much hatred for a person who has had such a short stint in his job and especially not since most of them adored the former manager who almost had identical results so ealy in his career with us and who used much of the same kind of set up, tactics and approach which they thought was the best thing since sliced bread.

For me that is hypocrisy and if there is something I cant stand its exactly that.

Agree, its not good enough for Roy, it was not good enough for Rafa, but still they are treated completely different by some, its pathetic.

I treat them both the same though, I`m just not as fed up with Roy yet, seeing as he has been here 6 months and not 6 years.

In the end of Rafa`s time here I never paticipated in the Rafa chants, simply because I`m no hypocrite but I would never booo, I`ve booed once and that was Newcastle away a few years ago, that does not mean I would not support the team though.

Just the same with Roy, even if I want him gone I will never let that affect my support, singing, abusing opposition fans and players duing the match.

I wish I could have been there but living in Norway its a bit difficult to go every week.

The generalisation might have been a bit too broad, but I stand by my points, I think its all a bit small time how some people are behaving.

Enjoy the game.

I'll just quote you in an exactly as simplistic way as you post most of the time:

... it would be nice to see him being given some time at the club before 95% of the fan base starts acting like little girls...

... I want Hodgson gone as soon as possible...

I guess you are a little girl then, one of the 95%.

All the stuff above.

That's fair enough.

But if you read through the borderline knee-jerk stuff you've been posting on here lately and then compare it to the nuanced objective view you've wrote above, then even you'll see there's a fairly big gulf there.

And to call '95%' of the fanbase 'crying little girls' isn't "too broad a generalisation" Code.

It's a fucking lie.

From Football365;

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson believes his team have been tainted by two matches which have done "untold damage" but insists the improvement from the start of the season shows they were written off too early.

Saturday's 3-0 win over West Ham at Anfield was achieved with the minimum amount of fuss - somewhat helpfully in the injury-enforced absence of captain Steven Gerrard - against a side who struggled to rise above mediocre.

The Reds' fourth victory in six Barclays Premier League matches came on the back of a defeat at Stoke the previous week, lifting them to within touching distance of the top four.

Having endured their worst start to a campaign since 1953/54 with six points from eight games they have now accrued 13 from their last six.

Encouraging performances from Raul Meireles, given the freedom of central midfield by the Hammers, and Glen Johnson show there can be optimism despite Gerrard being sidelined for a month.

Hodgson thinks, however, that his side is still being judged on their early-season form.

"There are two games this year which have done us untold damage," he said.

"The first was when a total reserve team - although it does not seem to have been noticed we had 14 first-team players who didn't play - lost to Northampton in the Carling Cup.

"The other was the disastrous (2-1) defeat to Blackpool at the end of a three-match week when we played in Europe.

"Those two defeats were costly for us because they encouraged people to make bold conclusions but we've lost once in eight (in all competitions).

"There are still a lot of things to do but what pleased me against West Ham was the shape, discipline and organisation of the team.

"If we can keep that going with the quality of players we have got we can have a good season.

"Don't ask me what a good season is because I don't know but after the start we have had where we are now is making us feel pretty pleased."

Not the first time that particular absurdity has been trotted out. C5 and ITV - I would imagine it's the same in other media outlets - have been at pains to inform us that we've only really had two bad results and we should expect to watch a Liverpool side surrender at Everton/Stoke/Birmingham/Man City. Only backwards people on here think that scoring twice at Old Trafford is not cause for great euphoria and optimism.

In fact some really strange people were upset we didn't try to win that game. As if we've any right to do something like that.

He seems to be always deliberately trying to distort things or just plain chatting shite. Hes trying to say Northampton and Blackpool is the only reason the fanbase has turned on him.

Like the shite we saw at Man City, Everton, Stoke, Wigan didn't happen. In every one of those games we were utterly clueless basically because Roy got the tactics wrong.

He would be better suited just saying to the fans "Look we know we've got things wrong this year but we're trying to get things right and trying to change our approach to these games." Instead he just tries to make us all out to be kneejerk fundamentalists freaking out after 1 bad game.

He would be better suited just saying to the fans "Look we know we've got things wrong this year but we're trying to get things right and trying to change our approach to these games." Instead he just tries to make us all out to be kneejerk fundamentalists freaking out after 1 bad game.

Perish the thought.

Does he think bad of Pacheco because he played that Northampton match? He played in that game didn't he? If so that's just scary.

Tottenham next, I have about 20% faith we'll get a result. It shouldn't be like that, and the players need to step up too. If the managers system is losing the game they should fuck it off on the pitch and show him were things have gone wrong.

I still like Roy by the way, just wish he'd play away games with the belief that we could smash several goals past the home side and have a decent game. Attack whoever we're playing, wherever it is, because we're Liverpool FC, end of. If he can't do that and stays it'll be NESV's honeymoon that's well and truly over.

This Phoenix/Red Phoenix thing, is it like a Jekyll/Hyde duality play? Good cop, bad cop? What?

Yup, and we all know who the good cop is.

GQ03C.jpg

Remember ripping Phoenix a while back but he/she seems cool so I just left it!

I still like Roy by the way, just wish he'd play away games with the belief that we could smash several goals past the home side and have a decent game. Attack whoever we're playing, wherever it is, because we're Liverpool FC, end of. If he can't do that and stays it'll only be NESV's honeymoon that's well and truly over.

I can't stand him but I'd be prepared to give him time if the tactics and approach changed. My opinion was starting to change after the Blackburn and Bolton games because we actually showed some attacking intent in those games.

The Chelsea game for 45 mins was a joy. The next 45 was back to his usual style but the reasoning for that could be seen. We were 2-0 up and we had to hold on.

Then came Wigan and Stoke and jesus christ it was just horrible. It was 2 banks of 4 and hoof it all the way. As Dave Usher said in his match reports it looked a whole lot like Hodgsons Fulham so I'm fairly certain it was his instructions.

Now we've got Spurs, Villa and Newcastle coming up. 3 tough games whether Home or Away. And I think Roy can show us all hes not just a dead duck by employing tactics that serve us better. Play higher up the pitch, press the opposition. Stick Stevie next to Nando,Raul in the middle, Kuyt on the right to support Johnson.

I'm convinced he does that and we'll win 2 of those games.

Then came Wigan and Stoke and jesus christ it was just horrible. It was 2 banks of 4 and hoof it all the way.

That's what really did my head in, and I'd pointed out those two matches weeks ago so it only made me feel worse when it happened. The manager and players have to focus in these way games from now on as it's just so clear that we're weak in so many of them.

But yeah Torres back to his best was a serious boost in that Chelsea match! It's just so cool when it happens, likewise with Stevie which he showed against Napoli.

Play higher up the pitch, press the opposition.

Agreed, we should really see more of this as it can make or break the whole game. Pressing done properly can be just as good as seeing a side attack or defend well, and when we do it we can be immense.