You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson: Johnson has not performed

Original202

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate Johnson in an attacking team... In a defensive drop deep and let the opposition have a go and try to hang on for a draw he is exposed and not very good...

It comes down to what team we want to be really, if we only aspire to hodgson ball then I guess cares/Kelly are better options, but going forward their shit!!

I want Liverpool to attack, so I'd get rid of the geezer in charge...

I'll give Roy the beneift of the doubt on this one: Johnson has been poor and a shadow of the raiding full-back that we saw in his first few games for us. Kelly has been impressive and shown a good attacking ability for a player who is essentially a centre-back.

However, it does raise a whole series of other questions. I would hope that Roy has tried to address this behind closed doors before opening his enormous trap to the press. And if he's been so disappointed with Johnson, why has he tried to rush him back into the first team in the last few games before he was fully fit? Kelly has done nothing in the last few games that most of us couldn't see he was capable of before, and Roy preferred Carra to him at right back recently. Is this Roy trying to tell NESV, 'yes, I can play the young players, honest'.

I think Kelly's a great prospect and he's got the potential to go a long way. But I hope we are all patient with him. I can remember some of the stick Carra got at fullback in his early days. Kelly looks more comfortable than Carra did, but he will still have off days and I'd hate to see him go the same way as Insua.

Hodgson shipped out Roberto Carlos and replaced him with Alessando Pistone (of Everton fame). It seems pretty clear he can only work with certain types of players and hence as a consequence there is a ceiling on what he can achieve, and it will be very low.

The problem we have is that by the time he has gone we will have solid journeyman everywhere and the players with that little extra something will have been shipped out, marginalized or their country insulted, before a coach who knows how to adapt his tactics (yeah plural!) to suit the players, has a chance to work with them.

As Redknapp showed at Portsmouth you can setup a team to get the best out of Johnson, unfortunately it requires something more complicated than Hodgson appears to be capable of.

Hodgson shipped out Roberto Carlos and replaced him with Alessando Pistone (of Everton fame). It seems pretty clear he can only work with certain types of players and hence as a consequence there is a ceiling on what he can achieve, and it will be very low.

I broadly agree with you about Hodgson, I truly do: there's certainly a limit to where he can take the club.

But anyone seriously comparing Glen Johnson to Roberto Carlos either in attitude (Carlos was one of the most professional and hard-working of players) or in ability is either delusional, or more likely seeking to stir the pot! So I don't see what your point achieves, other than that Hogdson and Carlos didn't see eye-to-eye. By the same extension, one could sweepingly say for instance that Rafa's falling out with Alonso shows he can't handle creative players; or that Ferguson falling out with Keane shows he can't handle single-minded players - neither example would be the whole story at all.

Of COURSE, Johnson looked good on MoTD highlights for Portsmouth because Redknapp told him not to bother with defending. There's a massive difference between being a big fish in a tiny Pompey pond and playing for Liverpool, I'm afraid.

The problem we have is that by the time he has gone we will have solid journeyman everywhere and the players with that little extra something will have been shipped out, marginalized or their country insulted, before a coach who knows how to adapt his tactics (yeah plural!) to suit the players, has a chance to work with them.

As Redknapp showed at Portsmouth you can setup a team to get the best out of Johnson, unfortunately it requires something more complicated than Hodgson appears to be capable of.

Right on the money... This is what I fear as well

I broadly agree with you about Hodgson, I truly do: there's certainly a limit to where he can take the club.

But anyone seriously comparing Glen Johnson to Roberto Carlos either in attitude (Carlos was one of the most professional and hard-working of players) or in ability is either delusional, or more likely seeking to stir the pot! So I don't see what your point achieves, other than that Hogdson and Carlos didn't see eye-to-eye. By the same extension, one could sweepingly say that Rafa's falling out with Alonso shows he can't handle creative players - it wouldn't be the whole story at all.

Of COURSE, Johnson looked good on MoTD highlights for Portsmouth because Redknapp told him not to bother with defending. There's a massive difference between being a big fish in a tiny Pompey pond and playing for Liverpool, I'm afraid.

your tiny pond theory should be told to the manager and the owners first....

Totaly agree, great post, im sure NESV already know whats required but why has no one from the board told roy to shut it? I wonder what kenny's making of all this?

But anyone seriously comparing Glen Johnson to Roberto Carlos either in attitude (Carlos was one of the most professional and hard-working of players) or in ability is either delusional, or more likely seeking to stir the pot! So I don't see what your point achieves, other than that Hogdson and Carlos didn't see eye-to-eye. By the same extension, one could sweepingly say that Rafa's falling out with Alonso shows he can't handle creative players - it wouldn't be the whole story at all.

If you can't see the parallels between the Roberto Carlos and Glenn Johnson situations, then well, I can't make you drink.

If Johnson had not played so well when we played the expansive 4231 at the beginning of last season then I'd say maybe there is a big club mentality issue. But the fact that he did makes the far simpler explanation that he suits a certain playing style that Hodgson can't or won't adopt far more appealing.

Jono has been poor recently BUT, Pot calling kettle black much uncle Woy?!?

If i was Jono id feel abit funny abit being told off for my form by a fella who is fucking up on a HUGE scale!

Cheeky sod.

Heres a question for the "manager of the year" If Jono is playing poorly enough for you to publicly slate him, then why is his poor form still better than Konchesky who continues to start every game? Who isnt fit to wear the shirt and who is playing pretty well, for him!??? Id like to hope that its not just because you bought him, but i really cant tell how much of a little man you are.

If you can't see the parallels between the Roberto Carlos and Glenn Johnson situations, then well, I can't make you drink.

If Johnson had not played so well when we played the expansive 4231 at the beginning of last season then I'd say maybe there is a big club mentality issue. But the fact that he did makes the far simpler explanation that he suits a certain playing style that Hodgson can't or won't adopt far more appealing.

100% spot on.

I've always said you won't get the best out of Glen Johnson at right back unless you're a team that dominates possession and is constantly on the front foot.

We haven't been that for a long time.

However, he has been absolutely garbage for a year now, maybe more.

Some of the mistakes he's made have been embarrassing and at times he's looked completely unfamiliar with a football.

But he didn't, did he? And we were hardly playing "expansive" football early last season, were we!? He played well for 5 or 6 games at most immediately after his move, and since then has resorted to the mediocrity (and that is being kind!) that characterised his years at Chelsea and his entire international career. If it's that "simple" - i.e. down to Hodgson, and Hodgson alone - then why was he so poor last season from October onwards? Why will noone answer that?

I repeat - there is no parallel at all with Carlos. It's just a lazy point of comparison, and it's an insult to Carlos to even mention them in the same breath. Carlos, by the way, knew how to defend when he needed to - i watched him in games where he didn't even venture over the halfway line when tactics or necessity demanded.

But he didn't, did he? And we were hardly playing "expansive" football early last season, were we!? He played well for 5 or 6 games at most immediately after his move, and since then has resorted to the mediocrity (and that is being kind!) that characterised his years at Chelsea and his entire international career. If it's that "simple" - i.e. down to Hodgson, and Hodgson alone - then why was he so poor last season from October onwards? Why will noone answer that?

I repeat - there is no parallel at all with Carlos. It's just a lazy point of comparison, and it's an insult to Carlos to even mention them in the same breath. Carlos, by the way, knew how to defend when he needed to - i watched him in games where he didn't even venture over the halfway line when tactics or necessity demanded.

I'm certainly not simplifying it down to Hodgson and Hodgson alone. That's you doing that and then arguing with yourself about it. Have at it.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to be lazy and insult brazillian legends.

I repeat - there is no parallel at all with Carlos. It's an insult to Carlos to even mention them in the same breath. Carlos, by the way, knew how to defend when he needed to.

Johnson played well right up until late November I think it was and he got injured which kept him out until early March if I remember right. Maybe late February.

Now I wont lie, I think hes a pretty poor defender. But Hodgsons system is definently 1000% not suited to our players overall. Sitting camped on the edge of our box hoping for magical counter attacks is not the type of football we've played since Houlliers days.

Johnson hasn't been at his best form but it is obvious that we won't see anything like his best form under Hodgson. Hodgson is a stout old school English manager. Two banks of four. Don't move too high up the pitch. It is the style for getting the best out of mid to low ranking teams. And even then, arguably it isn't even that, because the football the likes of Blackpool play under Holloway will probably get them more points than just sending out a side to stop the opposition.

Anyway, I digress.

As a rule you do this sort of criticism in house. Arguably Roy has tried that already, so he is going public with his criticism of Johnson to up the ante.

The only problem is that Hodgson has not exactly got his Liverpool team playing in such a way that he is immune from valid criticism himself. If he were 'all that' then people would give this the benefit of the doubt.

But he isn't.

Potsmouth conceded 57 goals in the league the season you are talking about, but I guess Johnson was ace.

I'll take that challenge, if you take the time to check... you'll see he was injured most of Oct with a calf injury, as we know it takes a couple games to back into your game which he never had, because from mid Dec he had a other injury (Ankle) which again took him out for another couple of weeks before he blow out his kneecap (MCL) which we all know took him out for most of the remaining season.

Glenn Johnson Injuries - English Premier League

Edited by redsoxs

I'll take that challenge, if you take the time to check... you'll see he was injured most of Oct with a calf injury, as we know it takes a couple games to back into your game which he never had, because from mid Dec he had a other injury (Ankle) which again took him out for another couple of weeks before he blow out his kneecap (MCL) which we all know took him out for most of remaining season.

Glenn Johnson Injuries - English Premier League

He only played 17 games in the league. Actually thought it was more. Goes to show he didnt exactly have a fair crack at it last season because of injuries.