You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson: Johnson has not performed

Original202

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England defender Glen Johnson has claimed he knew his career at former club Chelsea was over because of the breakdown of trust with then coach Jose Mourinho.

Johnson, who this week completed a £17m move from Portsmouth to Liverpool, has accused Mourinho of breaking promises when they were both at Stamford Bridge.

Johnson revealed he realised he would have to continue his career elsewhere when he did not feature against Barcelona in the Champions League before later moving on to Pompey for £4m.

Johnson said: "I remember the lowest point was when Chelsea were set to play Barcelona in the Champions League.

"We had a couple of Premier League games to play before we played Barca, and Mourinho picked me for one of those games and told me in front of five witnesses that if I played well I would keep the shirt.

"I immediately told my agent that it didn't matter how well I played I would be dropped - because Mourinho wouldn't want me anywhere near the team for the Barcelona game.

"Sure enough, I was voted man of the match - and I was dropped from the squad."

Johnson remains puzzled over the reasons why he did not figure in the Portuguese coach's plans.

"You would have to ask Jose Mourinho what his reasons were, but I know it was because he didn't want to see me play well again and be forced to pick me for the Barcelona game.

"That was the day I knew I had to leave Chelsea. Managers have to stick to their word. You have to be able to trust them."

Glen Johnson: I couldn't trust Jose Mourinho - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

Oh well, it seems a pattern is emerging. Glen can't understand the manager. Glen runs to his agent. Do managers trust you, Glen, you tonsorially-obsessed buffoon?

For fuck sake why doesnt he just play Johnson at right mid?

Play Kelly at RB and stick Carragher back in the middle with Soto. Skrtel is a shirt grabbing fucking car crash of a defender.

Put Kuyt left mid where he excelled for Holland recently and where he can still do his running and hunting down.

Gerrard and Miereles in the middle.

Or Miereles and Lucas in the middle with Gerrard behind Torres.

We need a whole bunch of new players but this is the best way froward in the meantime.

Esp with Dalglish to galvanise and more importantly MOTIVATE.

How Kelly keeps getting dropped is fucking beyond me.

Fucking desperate times. It needn't be this bad.

Hodgson has sucked up and spat out ALL the feelgood since C&A got the boot.

He must be stopped.

Yippee! Don't let anything get in the way of all that Hodge Hate! It'll be Babel next. He'd be brilliant under another manager. Poor Babel!

Mate, I don't even care to be honest what he says about players anymore. I've given up caring about the off-field stuff he says because I think thats just who he is. Its the on-field stuff that makes me hate him.

Just because Johnson is throwing his toys out of the pram don't let it disguise the fact that are very genuine reasons for people having a problem with Roy. I'd agree that people need to cut him so slack in terms of everything he says because I've said it myself too many people have been jumping all over everything he says and does. Doesn't change the fact hes a poor manager though.

As for Babel. I don't think anyone would ever try to pretend that he'd be good under any manager.

Yippee! Don't let anything get in the way of all that Hodge Hate! It'll be Babel next. He'd be brilliant under another manager. Poor Babel!

Mourinho and Fergie do it al lbehind closed doors because they are great managers and Hodgson is a bufoon.

Fergie handled the Stam situaiton extremely well considering the criticisms made of him.

For fuck sake why doesnt he just play Johnson at right mid?

Play Kelly at RB and stick Carragher back in the middle with Soto. Skrtel is a shirt grabbing fucking car crash of a defender.

Put Kuyt left mid where he excelled for Holland recently and where he can still do his running and hunting down.

Gerrard and Miereles in the middle.

Or Miereles and Lucas in the middle with Gerrard behind Torres.

We need a whole bunch of new players but this is the best way froward in the meantime.

Esp with Dalglish to galvanise and more importantly MOTIVATE.

How Kelly keeps getting dropped is fucking beyond me.

Fucking desperate times. It needn't be this bad.

Hodgson has sucked up and spat out ALL the feelgood since C&A got the boot.

He must be stopped.

Dont expect to see Johnson playing for a Roy Hodgson LFC team anytime soon

Mourinho and Fergie do it al lbehind closed doors because they are great managers and Hodgson is a bufoon.

Fergie handled the Stam situaiton extremely well considering the criticisms made of him.

Criticisms made at him? Didn't Stam reveal that he'd been tapped up by Fergie? I fail to see hoe Fergie was the victim there. Fergie didn't handle that situation well at all. Didn't he call it his 'biggest mistake in management'?

Piss poor management, and proved to be as dodgy as a £23 note.

Whilst Johnson hasnt played well he shouldnt have to put up with such public criticism by his manager.

He has every right to want to leave and let everyone know why he is leaving.

Hmmm. When Riera came out last season and slagged off Benitez and his tactics and man-management, even the biggest critics of Rafa laid into Riera and called for him to be shipped out. I'm disappointed but sadly not surprised that so many of our fans seem to be taking Johnson's side here.

No player should ever come out in public to lay into the manager - whether their own quotes (like Agger) or through their agent (which, you have to admit, is typical of Johnson's cowardice on and off the pitch) . No matter if they feel that they have valid reasons or not, no matter if they perceive a slight in a manager's public comments.

A lot of our players could take a lesson from Alonso or Sami - both were slighted by the last boss, sometimes in public and at press conferences. Both left with dignity, and neither have criticised him even since, apart from ina very veiled manner.

Johnson's just typical of the overblown golden generation, unwilling to listen to advice, never taking responsibility for anything, and sadly more interested in off-field than on-field activities. As GKMACCA points out above, he even thinks he knows better than Mourinho. I suspect he thinks defending is "boring" and can't understand why any manager would want him to work at that aspect of his game.

What did Rafa say about Riera before the outburst though?

I can't even remember much Internet ITK snidiness about him, let alone any public statement.

Riera was just a cock and wanted to make his position untenable.

Agree that Riera's behaviour was unacceptable - that was rather my point. As far as i recall, Rafa did call him a mercenary at a press conference for turning down a move to Spartak (and he was was hardly averse to criticising other players in public, like Yossi or Xabi)

Agree that Riera's behaviour was unacceptable - that was rather my point. As far as i recall, Rafa did call him a mercenary at a press conference for turning down a move to Spartak (and he was was hardly averse to criticising other players in public, like Yossi or Xabi)

What did he say about Yossi & Xabi? Have you got a link mate?

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it!

Raf's comment was after Riera's had made his - not before - which was the point the previous poster was making.

What did he say about Yossi & Xabi? Have you got a link mate?

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it!

Well, for starters, when he publicly rebuked Alonso for staying at home with his missus rather than travel to Milan for the CL game. Or explaining why he was hawking him round Europe in 2008 to fund the move for Barry. Perhaps not as direct as the criticism of Johnson, but then Rafa was always much more subtle!

Christ, now it's Ginsoak apologetics. No, he didn't handle it 'extremely well'. And that wasn't a similar situation at all.

Macca, I'm not trying to pick a barney with you here, you are one of my favourite posters on here, but I'm all at sea trying to get a bearing on your current coordinates. We seem to be sinking somewhere around Nauru and you seem to be around Cape Horn scratching your balls and doing a lot shouting hoping it will reach the ears of those overboard. Where are you at?

Fergusen handled Jaap Stam very poorly. He still had 3-4 years left at the top and Fergie threw that away and let another team benefit due to his bullying and arrogant nature. (Just as well, mind, or we'd probably be behind and not 18-18).

As for Johnson, I think he is a decent player. His strength is going forward and that works really we with an industrious type in Kuyt on the right. This is provided the team is taking the game to the opposition. And since we're not, Johnson's attributes are not being used at all.

I don't go along with our fans who say he isn't very good. He is more than fine. And if we played an attacking style that would be clearer for everyone to see.

Hodgson needs to go. If he stays and Johnson goes, then Kelly will be fine at right back, though I think in the long term he will be a dominant central defender for us.