You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cisse.

Duncan Clench

Not strictly true, we nipped in ahead of Valencia for his signature.

Split that hair baby, split it!.... ;-)

you know what I mean. Ciise is wanted by everyone, Diouff wasn't/still isn't. If we get him then a lot of clubs will be very disappointed.

When I say Diouff was an unknown quantity I meant that I knew nothing of him before the World Cup. I mean who had? African footballer of year or not. Be honest...

But with Ciise, everybody knows of him and of how damn good he is, it's clear to anyone with eyes, and everyone wants him. Nobody wanted Diouff (except us) before the WC.

As for Smith, just what we need, another 10 goals-a-season maximum man. Now chance. I do like him as a player, and I love his heart, but we need goals and a goal scorer he ain't. Danny Murphy outscores him every year ffs. No ta.

Wright-Phillips would be an ace signing though, totally agree.

...but why didn't we keep Little Thommo. Over to you Usher...

Yeah, I knew nothing of Diouff in that I hadn't seen him play b4 World Cup (and wasn't that impressed after it to be honest) and I'm in the same place with Cisse (hence the thread).

Smith, not exactly a goal machine but we need the sort of heart that he's got. I think for us, he'd be getting more than 10 a season.

Couldn't agree more about Thompson, he's a gem. Had him in my dreamteam too before the leg-break! Should never have been sold. Often Houllier releases player with the "wrong" attitude. When does GH get released for his attitude?

Have to agree with Tom R that Cisse's biggest asset is his pace, he's definitely quicker than Owen(even 98/99/00/01-Owen!!) and Pongolle. As for Henry, I think he's on the same level, then again, Henry is the quickest forward in the world imo.

seen little thompson in the metro bar in town off his head dancin like a loser,thats why we got rid of him

because he's a bad dancer?

Seems harsh. Considering how bad a dancer Didi is!! ;-)

If we're gona start getting shut of players because they've been out for the night then we'd only have Owen left in teh squad. :-)

Smith, not exactly a goal machine but we need the sort of heart that he's got. I think for us, he'd be getting more than 10 a season. (Walk On posted this, but I can't seem to use the quote function anymore).

I don't think we can afford to compromise on quality any more, regardless of how much heart a player has. If you want world class talent, you've got to pay for it. Is there anyone who wouldn't, given the chance to go back, pay Blackburn their £17m for Duff rather than sign Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao? If we want to be the best, we need to sign the best and that takes big money.

Cisse has once again stated that he will be joining Liverpool in the summer. He also said it doesnt matter who the manager is. He is joining Liverpool because of the club, not because the manager shares his nationality. He also stated that the agreement was done two years ago, and although he and Liverpool wanted to bring him over in the summer,he accepted that Auxerre did`nt want him to go before completing this season.

What does this tell me?

First that this is a man of integrety. Despite being tempted by great clubs like Real Madrid, he is true to the word he gave. Not often these days.

Secondly..He wants to play for us ...badly. He again stated that he fell in love with the club, and that he looks forward to be playing for such great fans!

Thirdly. Great attitude and loyalty. Many players would have sulked when they dontt get the move they wanted. He said ok,i accept this, and play his heart out for the club in his last season.

Some say that the french league is a second rate league. Well they still got two teams left in the Champions League. The same amount as...England. How many German teams are left??

And he is top scorer in the league not playing for the best,second best or even third best team in the league.

I think he is a class act, and really looking forward to his arrival!

I don't think we can afford to compromise on quality any more, regardless of how much heart a player has. If you want world class talent, you've got to pay for it. Is there anyone who wouldn't, given the chance to go back, pay Blackburn their £17m for Duff rather than sign Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao? If we want to be the best, we need to sign the best and that takes big money.

Absolutely, it's just that Cisse is an unknown quantity. Duff, we all knew, is a fantastic player. Proven Premiership quality. We deffo should have got him 2 seasons ago.

I remember a few Mancs bragging about a certain Juan Veron who no one had ever heard of. His price tag seemed to suggest a great player. United fans took this to mean he's the best midfielder in the World and look what happened (happy days!). Thing is, United can afford expensive cock-ups, we can't.

Right at the start I said that I've NEVER seen the guy play, and I'm hoping that you guys are right about him. I just have reservations about another expensive misfit. How long do we give the guy before it turns out we've got another Heskey/Diouff?....and do we fall into that age-old trap of giving the manager (huge amounts of...) money to spend in the summer, only to give him the boot in October?!!?