You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cisse.

Duncan Clench

Anyone actually know anything about this guy?

I was asked by a United fan whether I was disappointed that Cisse said if Houllier goes, his transfer might be in doubt. My answer?

Could give a toss, don't now anything about him (as I didn't with Diouf/Diao/Cheyrou(ZZ..ha!)/Biscan etc... and if these signings are anything to go by.......!

£14million? Seems a lot but I'm hoping there's someone out there who's seen him play and can tell me he's well worth the money!

As opposed to £5m for Smith!

And why, when Wenger goes to France, does he pick up a gem like Clichy for nothing while Houllier goes over and signs bullshit for millions?

If Houllier goes, don't want Cisse either really.

Anyone else?

I've seen Cisse play a fair few times and he has impressed me. He has plenty of pace and is not afraid to "have a go" from distance. I think his strike rate for this season so far is 24 goals in 32 games which is pretty impressive considering he's what you'd call a "mark-man" in most matches, i.e. like Owen, Henry and Van Nistelrooy are over here!

My biggest worry about Cisse would be whether or not he could handle the physical aspect of the PL but I'm sure that given time, which he will need at first, he can become a star for us.

i've seen a fair bit and i've seen nothing to suggest he's worth £14M, £5M tops imo. He seems in style to me like JFH back in his prime except he doesn't finish as well as JFH.

If I was buying a forward this summer, i'd be getting morrientes from madrid. i think he'd be a pefect foil for MO and probably cost no more than a couple of million quid.

Havent seen much, but what i have seen has impressed me. He has pace ( read somewhere that during sprint tests for the french national team, he has been quicker than Henry ) he has an awesome shot. And also has a physical presence that is suited for the premiership.

We need class players. Class players cost money. To compare him with Diouf is unfair. Diouf has never been a goalscorer. His best season for Lens he scored ten. Cisse has scored regurarely for three seasons, and he is still only 22. I hope he comes whether Houllier stays or not.

I've seen Cisse play a good few times and he's always impressed me. He's strong, quick and has a great shot on him. I think he'll be a class signing. And Wenger doesn't always get good players for cheap fromn France. He bought Wiltord for 11m and is losing him for free in the summer. And no one really knows what the Cisse fee is.

I've seen a bit of Cisse, and although he seems a good prospect, I'm not overly excited by his seemingly imminent arrival. Dont want to write him off though, as he obviously is talented, and scores goals albeit in a poor French league.

Could the money be better spent? Probably. I would have liked to see us try to buy Kezman from PSV, or Smith. I think we could even have signed Gudjohnsson from Chelski a it seems they will be buying 2 new strikers in the summer. We have been linked with Forssel today who seems like a good player. I'd like to see us go in for a proven premiership player.

We also urgently need a good right sided midfielder. Id love us to try and bring in Shaun Wright-Phillips. He is quick, gets up and down well, and is a good passer and scores goals.

Ciise is fvcking awesome imo. Full stop.

There isn't a club in the world who wouldn't want him in their team.

He's got the lot - Skill, speed, agression, great eye-for-goal, fierce shot, delicate chip, you name it he's got it. But he's a proper rough diamond who'll need good leadership. (Bye-bye Ged!)

I've seen quite a lot of him over the last couple of years (ever since we were 1st linked to him really) and I try to watch any game I can that he's involved in.

For me he's far quicker than even Michael Owen is, he's built like Peskey (onlyfar stronger!) and he's a fucking brilliant finisher. Those who say he isn't a great finisher have clearly never watched him play.

He was the youngest player of all time to win the French golden boot and he looks well on his way to winning it again!

Poor finisher my arse.

Ciise is about the only thing I am looking forward to next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if his signing is the only thing that is keeping Owen at the club.

£14m? - fvcking bargain. I'm no Houllier fan these days, but If we land Ciise it'll be good business.

I just hope there's a different manager in place who can get the best from him or else it'll be a complete waste of money... once again.

Who wasn't excited when we bought Diouff?? £11m was good business at the time for him, it's just that our manager just can not improve players.

if we ghet Ciise I'll be fvcking made up. It'll be the 1st genuine world-class signing that we've made for twenty odd years.

Real madrid, incidentally, have attepted to out-bid us TWICE in the last six months alone.

I've seen Cisse a fair bit on Eurosport. It's always difficult to accurately judge a player playing in a fairly weak league, but here's what I have noticed about him:

He is frighteningly quick (one time I saw him defending a corner in his own box and the next minute he was bursting towards goal).

He has a very hard shot, and tries shooting from all sorts of angles and distances.

He seems to have a fairly good striker's awareness - following in on other's shots on goal (unlike Heskey who often just stands around not moving), scoring headers etc

He doesn't have the skill and flair of Henry, but then again, who does...

My only concern is that Houllier is obsessed with buying tall, powerful players, regardles of how good they are (Diao, Biscan, Diarra, Cheyrou, Traore) and until we see Cisse in the Prem, we won't know whether he's a French version of Heskey or a genuinely good player. I'd still like him to sign though.

His record throughout his career is 2 league goals every 3 games on average. if he can manage that here he will be a legend. I've only seen him play live (TV included) in about 8 games. Fast, strong and can shoot with either foot. Skilful he isn't, poor ball control but better than Owen in that respect. At £14m though he is too expensive in my opinion. With Baros here we have a greater need in other areas of the team.

His record throughout his career is 2 league goals every 3 games on average. if he can manage that here he will be a legend.

that is the key though isn't it. as i say from what i've seen of him i don't think he would manage anything like that, which is why i said worth about £5M (at the current values). but saying that who'd have though henry would have been the striker he's become when wenger signed him? imo he's a gamble and at £14M and that is one massive gamble.

that is the key though isn't it. as i say from what i've seen of him i don't think he would manage anything like that, which is why i said worth about £5M (at the current values). but saying that who'd have though henry would have been the striker he's become when wenger signed him? imo he's a gamble and at £14M and that is one massive gamble.

It's not really that big a gamble though is it?

The guy, although still young, is one of the highest goal scorers in any league anywhere in the world.

He really is a genuine world class talent and the French speak of him in the same way we speak of Michael Owen. He's hardly some unknown quantity like Diouff or Diao or someone of that ilk. He's proven at the highest level and If it wasn't for an International ban coming up then he would be competreing with the likes of Henry at Euro 2004.

I'm very excited about him and it's the first signing by Houllier (Kewell aside)that I'm extremely confident will fit in very quickly.

The speed and agression of the game over here won't bother him at all as he plays the game at 100mph and is built like a crick shithouse anyway.

Tom, I wish I had your confidence. I don't see how he's done it at the highest level ... I know he's played a few times for france, but then so has steve marlet and he had a pretty good goalscoring record in that league before he signed for fulham. I don't think it's any measurement.

If he signs for us and has a bad opening 12 months, would we recoup even 1/3 of the £14M? I don't think so.

I know he has power etc, but that's doesn't make you a world class striker - or even a top premiership striker. emile heskey has all the power and pace in the world, but it's the willingness to use it (and heskey did before he signed for us) that will be key.

To compare him to Owen is hardly fair either. By the age Cisse is now Owen had played in 2 world cups and captained his country. Cisse has never been more than a fringe international and U21. Despite the strength of the french squad, he's often been behind the likes of marlet and wiltord.

I'm not saying this guy won't make it, I just feel in todays market £14M is a lot of money for someone with a minor international career and only played in france.

He's hardly some unknown quantity like Diouff or Diao or someone of that ilk. He's proven at the highest level and If it wasn't for an International ban coming up then he would be competreing with the likes of Henry at Euro 2004.

You mean El Hadj Diouff, African footballer of the year? Not exactly unknown, and am I right in thinking that people were trying to out-bid us with him?

Like I said at the start of the thread, I really know jack shit about the guy so £14m sems like an awful lot of money. For the money we could surely get Smith, Wright-Phillips and maybe someone like Zat Knight from Fulham? Isn't that better business?

Also, as far as I'm concerned (with the exception of H*skey) our forward line is OK, just a little lacking in confidence. Is it possible that Cisse is quicker than Sinama? Doubt it! Our problems are elsewhere I feel.

You mean El Hadj Diouff, African footballer of the year? Not exactly unknown, and am I right in thinking that people were trying to out-bid us with him?

Like I said at the start of the thread, I really know jack shit about the guy so £14m sems like an awful lot of money. For the money we could surely get Smith, Wright-Phillips and maybe someone like Zat Knight from Fulham? Isn't that better business?

Also, as far as I'm concerned (with the exception of H*skey) our forward line is OK, just a little lacking in confidence. Is it possible that Cisse is quicker than Sinama? Doubt it! Our problems are elsewhere I feel.

When I say Diouff was an unknown quantity I meant that I knew nothing of him before the World Cup. I mean who had? African footballer of year or not. Be honest...

But with Ciise, everybody knows of him and of how damn good he is, it's clear to anyone with eyes, and everyone wants him. Nobody wanted Diouff (except us) before the WC.

As for Smith, just what we need, another 10 goals-a-season maximum man. Now chance. I do like him as a player, and I love his heart, but we need goals and a goal scorer he ain't. Danny Murphy outscores him every year ffs. No ta.

Wright-Phillips would be an ace signing though, totally agree.

...but why didn't we keep Little Thommo. Over to you Usher...

It's difficult to say, but i'd put my money on cisse to win that race - he is so fast it's unreal. i think his pace is his biggest asset.

I'd go as far as to put my neck on the line and say that he's one fo teh fastest players I've ever seen. He's far quicker than Owen or Henry, and that's saying something. Not only that but he's not just quick over 10 yards or so, he's quick for the whole length of the pitch.

I might be wrong, but I'm sure someone said a while ago on here that he could have been proffesional sprinter? Anyone confirm?

Regardless, pace is nothing without the end product, and he has that too.

I guess we'll have to just wait and see, but I;m so hoping we land him. The sooner the better.

He's chosen us over Real Madrid so I'm prepared to give him a go.