You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

Well if LvG is going to be DoF at least we'd have someone at the club with the relevent experience.

If they've cooled on AVB it could be because LvG doesn't rate him.

Or he wants a useless, pliable twat like Martinez in place who will be shit, get sacked, and allow him to take the job he actually wants.

Or he wants a useless, pliable twat like Martinez in place who will be shit, get sacked, and allow him to take the job he actually wants.

And who'd shed a tear if that happened?

If Martinez proves to be the new dawn some want, giving a young manager a chance in a more continental system, then great.

If he plummets, LvG takes the reins and all those who want an omnipotent manager get their wish.

If Martinez proves to be the new dawn some want' date=' giving a young manager a chance in a more continental system, then great.

If he plummets, LvG takes the reins and all those who want an omnipotent manager get their wish.[/quote']

That will cost us a year, pushing out of the CL for 4 years in a row. Harder to attract top talent and the talent already here will look to move on.

Guest TK-421
If we're giving opportunities to young managers, then why Martinez? AVB qualifies as much in that regard, and has proven that he actually can and did manage a winning team.

Avb won't risk his reputation.

Martinez has none to lose.

If we're giving opportunities to young managers, then why Martinez? AVB qualifies as much in that regard, and has proven that he actually can and did manage a winning team.

Take your pick from the following peachy theories:

1) LvG wants a puppet figure he intends to fail (whilst cackling madly and stroking a white cat)

2) FSG are trying to cut costs and will only appoint the cheapest candidate (which begs the question, how much must LvG be asking for?)

3) LvG or FSG just didn't think he was going to bring success

That will cost us a year, pushing out of the CL for 4 years in a row. Harder to attract top talent and the talent already here will look to move on.

Oh i'm not advocating it, i'd prefer we not implode and have to alter course half way through a season, but I also reckon LvG as manager will have more pull than Martinez.

I honestly think we'll be extremely lucky to get CL anyway. Firing Kenny meant we'll likely spend yet another year in transition anyway.

Avb won't risk his reputation.

Martinez has none to lose.

Harsh, but fair.

The very top managers who are in the market for a move will want to move to to a big club where they believe they have the odds in their favour (with money to influence those odds).

Liverpool the club would interest any manager in the world

Liverpool the 'task' doesn't look favourable to the very elite.

It leaves Liverpool with the following pools of managers:

1) The formerly successful ones who have a point to prove having fallen down the pecking order (and thus they tend to be older guys)

2) One hit wonder younger guys who've had an impressive record abroad with tier 2 teams (porto, dortmund, roma et al) and who had a budget to play with.

3) 'Made of the right stuff' types working in budget laden clubs (Rogers, Martinez et al)

For all the talk of a younger manager with a long term future, CL is essential to boost the revenue at the club, but seriously, it's just a question... even with 100 million to spend on players, could FSG feel extremely confident of a top 4 finish?

It must be looking a hell of a gamble to financial investors when there's a 5 clubs into two CL slots scenario.

Of course, next season COULD actually be more like a 7 clubs into 4 slots scenario, since City are still new to it all and could do a Blackburn, United could be weaker still unless they spend, unsure which Arsenal might turn up, Spurs could drop off, Chelsea could drop off....

Maybe, just maybe IF there was time for Liverpool to get back in the mix, it's next season - but will FSG be prepared to spend (again)?

with AVB out of the running LVG is the outstanding candidate

just appoint LVG as the manager without the DoF bollox

Thats what is coming out of Holland he isnt interested coming here as DOF but he is as manager.

Which would explain why he is now third favourite to be manager.

Harsh, but fair.

The very top managers who are in the market for a move will want to move to to a big club where they believe they have the odds in their favour (with money to influence those odds).

Liverpool the club would interest any manager in the world

Liverpool the 'task' doesn't look favourable to the very elite.

It leaves Liverpool with the following pools of managers:

1) The formerly successful ones who have a point to prove having fallen down the pecking order (and thus they tend to be older guys)

2) One hit wonder younger guys who've had an impressive record abroad with tier 2 teams (porto, dortmund, roma et al) and who had a budget to play with.

3) 'Made of the right stuff' types working in budget laden clubs (Rogers, Martinez et al)

For all the talk of a younger manager with a long term future, CL is essential to boost the revenue at the club, but seriously, it's just a question... even with 100 million to spend on players, could FSG feel extremely confident of a top 4 finish?

It must be looking a hell of a gamble to financial investors when there's a 5 clubs into two CL slots scenario.

Of course, next season COULD actually be more like a 7 clubs into 4 slots scenario, since City are still new to it all and could do a Blackburn, United could be weaker still unless they spend, unsure which Arsenal might turn up, Spurs could drop off, Chelsea could drop off....

Maybe, just maybe IF there was time for Liverpool to get back in the mix, it's next season - but will FSG be prepared to spend (again)?

I've got Blue moon on the phone. They're wondering if you plan on going back, because they really need you over there immediately.

Take your pick from the following peachy theories:

1) LvG wants a puppet figure he intends to fail (whilst cackling madly and stroking a white cat)

2) FSG are trying to cut costs and will only appoint the cheapest candidate (which begs the question' date=' how much must LvG be asking for?)

3) LvG or FSG just didn't think he was going to bring success[/quote']

1) Ah, but if LvG is seen as the one appointing the manager (for whatever dastardly reasons he has) and that manager fails, then LvG fails. He'll have to share some of that responsibility. Fans will either blame him, the new manager, FSG or all of the above for that failure.

2) The cheapest candidate will still cost them money if he's fired before his contract is up. So cheap isn't necessarily good.

3) Who isn't going to bring success? AVB? And FSG (possibly LvG) come to this conclusion based on his 6 months at Chelsea? Ok, I can see if that would be their only reason for not hiring someone like AVB. But then to ignore his success at Porto in favour of (god forbid) Martinez (who has no trophies to his name) is nonsensical. Then we come to Rafa...

Lvg wont be coming, like I said de boer wasnt coming.

He only wants the managers job and hes too old for fsg.

So thats deschamps, rogers, lvg, vb, db, guardiola, out of the running with Martinez having 2nd thoughts....

Solsjear anyone?

Seriously, this is getting better by the minute, Im going to sit back and enjoy fsg having a huge omlette cooked on their face now theyve broken a few eggs .

Last seen rummaging round a decapitated gooses guts trying to locate their golden eggs.

• Downvote 2

Who do you actually want to get the job, Bren?

I don't know who the realistic choices are. I don't think any of the names are going to guarantee success, as very, very few managers can do that anyway.

But of the names touted so far, martinez would probably be my least favoured choice.

If Martinez proves to be the new dawn some want' date=' giving a young manager a chance in a more continental system, then great.

If he plummets, LvG takes the reins and all those who want an omnipotent manager get their wish.[/quote']

I wouldn't be shedding a tear for Martinez but I would for us as a club and what we had become.

Still - it might never happen eh?

Not read it anywhere but how about Rijkaard as manager under van Gaal?

Rijkaard was the captain of van Gaals Ajax European Cup win and was obviously a monster of a player and has also had all the success necessary at the other club we look to be modelling ourselves on in Barca.

Just my musings but I could see that working. Especially with van Gaal providing the bad ass that Rijkaard lost when ten Cate moved on

Would take a European cup winning manager over Rodgers or Martinez anyway

Rijkaard wasn't Ajax captain, it was Danny Blind.

I don't know who the realistic choices are. I don't think any of the names are going to guarantee success, as very, very few managers can do that anyway.

But of the names touted so far, martinez would probably be my least favoured choice.

Same.

I was actually quite excited by AVB, sure Chelsea was a disaster but I like his ideas and his approach to the game but the Echo have pissed on those chips.

What I will say though, is if FSG give the managerial chores to Martinez (removing a club legend in the process) with LVG opening stating that he wants the job then that will all but confirm they haven't got the first fucking club about football.