You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

This is sort of my point with Gerrard as well, there is a certain expectation with Gerrard, and a sort of pecking order, so that if you are fortunate enough to take a set-piece ahead of him, then you better get it perfect.

Because if you don't, then suddenly everyone is saying "Gerrard should be taking them, he's got an ace delivery".

Taking a corner at Anfield is close to the same pressure as taking a fucking penalty. We know Adam can deliver, he's brilliant at them, but the walls were closing in on everyone, including him. There was also added pressure because we all wanted Kenny to do well, and so all the failings of the players were so intense and added a bit more pressure, drip drip drip.

I think Adam, Henderson and Downing could all be much better players next season. Getting that first season out of the way, and it was a dreadful season, could be very important. They'll be coming into their second pre-season, some new faces will come in, and that in turn will take the pressure off them a little bit as well.

This is sort of my point with Gerrard as well, there is a certain expectation with Gerrard, and a sort of pecking order, so that if you are fortunate enough to take a set-piece ahead of him, then you better get it perfect.

Because if you don't, then suddenly everyone is saying "Gerrard should be taking them, he's got an ace delivery".

Taking a corner at Anfield is close to the same pressure as taking a fucking penalty. We know Adam can deliver, he's brilliant at them, but the walls were closing in on everyone, including him. There was also added pressure because we all wanted Kenny to do well, and so all the failings of the players were so intense and added a bit more pressure, drip drip drip.

I think Adam, Henderson and Downing could all be much better players next season. Getting that first season out of the way, and it was a dreadful season, could be very important. They'll be coming into their second pre-season, some new faces will come in, and that in turn will take the pressure off them a little bit as well.

Nonsense Gerrard was out for half of the season what was Adams excuse then? His set pieces were terrible and there's no excuse for it, especially when he had so many opportunities and put so many bad corners and free kicks in. If you can't handle the pressure don't take them.

I agree with the last bit of your post though. They are better than they've shown. Hopefully they will do the business next season.

Because...right....everytime Adam steps up to take a corner for us, right, everyone is thinking "this better be good, this better be good, this better be good".

So he chokes, and then people mutter "Gerrards better at corners than him".

But Gerrard's fucking injured, again, and so people just go all bitter and go "ifitwerentforgerrardgettininjured"

Nonsense Gerrard was out for half of the season what was Adams excuse then? His set pieces were terrible and there's no excuse for it, especially when he had so many opportunities and put so many bad corners and free kicks in. If you can't handle the pressure don't take them.

I agree with the last bit of your post though. They are better than they've shown. Hopefully they will do the business next season.

Gerrard was missing for the full season. Being honest about it, Gerrard has done fuck all for the club over the last three seasons.

I haven't noticed anyone doing anything of the sort. Jairzinho posted before about struggling to keep clean sheets and that we were regularly doing that before November. We kept something like 3 in 10 games before November in the league and only an extra 1 in November. Our goals conceded stayed pretty consistent throughout the season. Leivas loss wasn't even noticed. As I said before its the lack of finishing and final ball that was our problem not breaking up opposition attacks and stopping them from scoring.

I would say every response has ripped you a new one since you posted your original post of dribble.

Gerrard has taken shit corners for years. Pretty much an equal standard to Adam's.

Gerrard has taken shit corners for years. Pretty much an equal standard to Adam's.

Exactly, can't remember any time I've seen him beat the first man. Phenomenally good at almost everything else but absolutely woeful at corners.

Bellamy's probably our best corner taker.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That's where I worry, you wonder how much horsepower that role will have if it's comolli's job divided up into 2 or 3 pieces according to Ayre.

I think the likely answer to that question is they'll have more power in the area they're responsible for. They'll have certain admin tasks taken away, for example, but it'll only serve to make them stronger in the areas they're actually needed.

Fair comment. Kenny lost his job becaus he was unable to get the best out of some decent players. Carroll's league strike rate went backwards, Downing proved himself to be a competent top six club player at Villa similarly regressed.

One of the plusses for any new manager will be that a change of approach should see the existing team do better- and score more goals.

This highlights your ignorance. Why would you choose between them? They play two completely different positions. Xavi could not do what Busquets does and vice versa. The same can be said of Gerrard and Lucas. Gerrard is superior both physically and technically. Lucas is better tactically. This is key. To be a DM you have to be cerebral and analytical. To play up front you have to be inventive and instinctive. If you can do both you're Beckenbauer.

No no this highlights that you can't read. I said if you had to choose between the two.

I will spell it out for you as you are clearly struggling. The point I was making was that if you could only sign one player and you had to choose between an attacking midfielder eg xavi and a defensive one eg busquets any person of sound mind would choose the attacking one due to the fact it is a lot harder to do xavis job than it is to do busquets. It's why historically they cost more. But that joker would choose busquets because he's stupid. Understand now?

You are right xavi couldn't do busquets job because he physically isn't built for it and can't tackle. The same couldn't be said of Gerrard. Do you realise how hilarious you sound using words like cerebral and analytical. A DM job is to try and tackle the opposing player and give it to a team mate. It's not fucking rocket science you idiot. You don't have to be tactically aware of anything because you aren't fucking moving anywhere. If you said to Gerrard stand in front of the defence and tackle anyone but don't go forward just pass it to someone he would play that position better than Lucas because physically he's better than him and he's a better tackler.

The fact is its a lot harder to beat a player than it is to tackle one. It's why Lucas is and always will be less important than Gerrard. It's why attacking players in general will always be more important than defensive players.

I agree with you. I just don't remember anyone saying Gerrard would have taken a better one when Adam consistently fucked his up. I don't think there is any added pressure taking a set piece for Liverpool because Gerrard hasn't stood out taking them for a while. Funnee just seems to be blaming anything and everything on Gerrard. Blaming Adams shit set pieces on him is fucking hilarious though.

Read my post again it pretty answers your questions.

But again for you anyway. 90% of our squad could. Never mind various players throughout the league and Europe. It doesn't take a lot of skill to do what leiva does.

Jay spearing isn't really good enough but if he had had the same amount of game time as leiva he would be as good as him. I haven't said that defensive midfielders haven't got their uses especially against players like kaka. But if I had to choose between busquets or xavi I know who I'd choose. You would probably choose busquets because you're a dickhead.

A cretinous statement. Are you aware that Lucas won the Brazilian player of the year award aged 19, the youngest player ever to do so? How did that happen? The brazilians know less about football than you? You know nothing about football and you are a cunt.

A cretinous statement. Are you aware that Lucas won the Brazilian player of the year award aged 19, the youngest player ever to do so? How did that happen? The brazilians know less about football than you? You know nothing about football and you are a cunt.

Again using somebody else's views to back up your own. Why arent people allowed to use their own eyes to gain their own view? Why do they have to be told by someone else?

The Brazilians you say. How many of these Brazilians have you met? Did you watch him that season?

Your post is a fucking mess. I make my mind up on what I see. He's been here long enough now for everyone to get their view. I've given mine.

I saw a little blog post about AVB the other day' date=' i don't agree with all of it, but it makes some interesting observations, that i tend to agree with, regarding the reason his defense at Chelsea was so poor.

It's here if anyone is interested - Why Andre Villas Boas Will be a Success at Liverpool†« katecohensoccer

Reminded me of inter with benitez trying to play the high line. It was as comical.

Reminded me of inter with benitez trying to play the high line. It was as comical.

Yep, just goes to show how many pieces of the puzzle have to be right for it to work. It's all very well having a strategy, but some managers plough ahead regardless of the players at their disposal.

In a strange way i think that pretty much sums up both AVB's problems at Chelsea and Martinez's massive defeats. Neither wavered from their footballing principles, which is great until the wheels fall off.

Again using somebody else's views to back up your own. Why arent people allowed to use their own eyes to gain their own view? Why do they have to be told by someone else?

The Brazilians you say. How many of these Brazilians have you met? Did you watch him that season?

Your post is a fucking mess. I make my mind up on what I see. He's been here long enough now for everyone to get their view. I've given mine.

Thats exactly my point. I'm saying that you are a clueless moron and your views are worthless.

Yep, that was a very good article/analysis of AVB. I think he could do very well indeed if he came here. Reports suggest that AVB was recently in Brazil doing some scouting. Was he there off his own bat? Was he there at the behest of a future employer? With rumors of Chelsea being close to signing Moura this could be fanciful... but wouldn't it be ace if AVB was in Brazil talking to Moura on our behalf? Unlikely, but you have to speculate to keep the forums going!