You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

That's the key quote, isn't it? "We're not putting any money in"

Without a cash injection there is no chance of us competing for the league or CL again. Chelsea and Man City have thrown £1bn at it, Arseanl and Man U are generating £1.5m a game more than us.

Without a financial stimulus no mamanger can crack that.

It does not say that. It says we are not putting our personal money in, i.e. their personal fortune, which is how it should be. Having given 70m last summer and seen very little return, caution is surely advisable.

Neither Chelsea's nor City's model is sustainable and we should never go down that road.

We need to be clever; Kagawa is going to end up at City or Utd for 20m euros. Two years ago he cost 200,000. Bayern invested far more than Dortmund over the last couple of years, yet the trohy count is 3-0 to Dortmund.

Could it work here? It might or might not, but let's not mortgage the future.

Another myth in my opinion. Lucas never regularly plays the ball quickly to the forwards or the wide players in better positions never mind quicker than any of the other midfielders. Gerrard, Spearing, Adam, Henderson and Shelvey all do this whether successful or unsuccessful. Lucas doesn't even attempt it.

Lucas plays the ball sideways and backwards a lot and he is apparently keeping it simple which the other midfielders could learn a lot from. Now that we didnt concede that many goals but had problems scoring and it's because Lucas wasn't there because he gets the ball to our attacking players a lot quicker. You can't have it both ways.

We got the ball to our wide players and our forwards perfectly fine. We created lots of chances. It was our finishing and our final ball that let the side down. Lucas wasn't even missed.

As a non member, you've unfortunately missed my excellent analysis of Lucas this season. It was worth the annual subs alone.

Here's a snippet for you. This season in the Prem, 57% of all Lucas' passes were actually forwards and only 9% backwards. If you want to compare it to players in similar roles, Parker played only 40% of passes forwards and 13% backwards, Tiote played 43% forwards and 15% backwards, Mikel played 47% fowards and 10% backwards, and Barry 50% fowards and 10% backwards.

When it comes to playing balls from outside in to the final third of the pitch, 17.8% of Lucas' balls were into the final third, compared to 10.1% of Parker's, 14.0% of Mikel's, 14.8% of Tiote's and 16.5% of Barry's.

Stats don't prove everything, but they do prove that to say the he never plays the ball forwards is clearly bollocks, as the majority of passes are in fact forwards.

If I get time, I'll look at a comparison against the other midfielders we have, although the comparison is only really valid compared to Spearing as the other play in a different area of the pitch.

Sorry if this has already been posted.. but quite interesting..

Why Andre Villas Boas Will Succeed at Liverpool, Whilst Failing at Chelsea

Why Andre Villas Boas Will be a Success at Liverpool‏ « katecohensoccer

It's only the 27th time its been posted, but at least you put it on a different thread nav ;-)

As a non member, you've unfortunately missed my excellent analysis of Lucas this season. It was worth the annual subs alone.

Here's a snippet for you. This season in the Prem, 57% of all Lucas' passes were actually forwards and only 9% backwards. If you want to compare it to players in similar roles, Parker played only 40% of passes forwards and 13% backwards, Tiote played 43% forwards and 15% backwards, Mikel played 47% fowards and 10% backwards, and Barry 50% fowards and 10% backwards.

When it comes to playing balls from outside in to the final third of the pitch, 17.8% of Lucas' balls were into the final third, compared to 10.1% of Parker's, 14.0% of Mikel's, 14.8% of Tiote's and 16.5% of Barry's.

Stats don't prove everything, but they do prove that to say the he never plays the ball forwards is clearly bollocks, as the majority of passes are in fact forwards.

If I get time, I'll look at a comparison against the other midfielders we have, although the comparison is only really valid compared to Spearing as the other play in a different area of the pitch.

For confirmation.......

liverpool vs fulham first goal 2011/9/5 - YouTube

Wonder whose pass sets up Johnson for the 2nd....

liverpool vs fulham second goal 2011 9/5/11 - YouTube

I was listening to the anfield wrap and they said in a meeting with Rafa he said its wage bill that's what wins things. So my idea is who gives a fuck who the manager is, they are all pointless, let's just give everybody a fuck off big pay rise.... Eh.

I doubt giving Henderson a pay rise will turn him into a white version of Yaya Toure. And I somehow doubt Rafa thinks that too.

This club as made cock up after cock up since 2007,

Why are we even considering giving AVB the job?

He's been a Manager for 121 games in his entire career,

How many games had Kenny managed for when we appointed him in 1985?

That didn't turn out too badly, did it?

How many games had Kenny managed for when we appointed him in 1985?

That didn't turn out too badly, did it?

Hahahaha,

I was waiting to see how long it would take a soft cunt to come out with that drivel,

Look who Kenny had behind him,

Paisley,John Smith and Peter Robinson,( throw in Fagin,Moran and Evans as well)

We've got Tommy,Johnny and Ayersy!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha,

I was waiting to see how long it would take a soft cunt to come out with that drivel,

Look who Kenny had behind him,

Paisley,John Smith and Peter Robinson,( throw in Fagin,Moran and Evans as well)

We've got Tommy,Johnny and Ayersy!!!!!!!!

Bang on mate we need a Peter Robinson type secretary again. We have never had any one fit to replace him and now?

Mourinho only had a 158 games under his belt before being appointed at Chelsea. That didn't go too badly for him or Chelsea, did it?

Mourinho only had a 158 games under his belt before being appointed at Chelsea. That didn't go too badly for him or Chelsea, did it?

Mourinho was a success at Chelsea in case you forgot,

AVB got the OBE at Chelsea,that's the difference,

before you start your silly analogy

Tony Evans saying no chance of avb working with Van Gaal

Can't imagine anyone working under Van Gaal. What would obviously happen is that LVG ends up getting too involved in first team matters and coach walks. LVG ends up in manager role.

Problem is, who can you put in a DOF role above the 60 year old Van Gaal. Who is there?. It's the same as having Rafa back. He's a totalitarian.

If FSG are intent on having their system they need to be very careful when it comes to egos.

Yeah, he can't even sit the right way on a chair.....

Mourinho was a success at Chelsea in case you forgot,

AVB got the OBE at Chelsea,that's the difference,

before you start your silly analogy

Mourinho was a success because he inerhited a much stronger team with much more power in the transfer market.

Villas-Boas inherited a team that wasn't suited to play the style he had been brought in to deliver. And several senior players were obviously trying to undermine him because they knew the appointment of Villas-Boas pretty much meant the end of them as first team regulars at Chelsea.