You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

What about a further two finals, two semi finals, and a quarterfinal?

You know, and this may come as a fucking shock to you, but we have no divine right to win every trophy.

I'm one of those able to see the big picture and our results in Europe had more to do with Englands benefits in European football at the time because of the money involved compared to other leagues, than Rafa's skills as a manager.

How else would you explain the European failures Wenger and Ferguson suddenly reaching semi finals and finals like never before, the mastermind Avram Grant reaching a final etc.

We had good results in Europe under Rafa, not especially much better than the other English teams at the time though.

So to sum it all up, Dalglish is more than good enough to take us where Rafa took us and higher, if the environment in a few years again gives England the edge like in 03/04-10/11 is difficult to know, but Italy will be back stronger and the two Spanish giants will be up there for a few years yet I think.

Would Rafa had won the CL in the current climate, I honestly dotn think so, Real Madrid and Barca of today are just so much stronger than anything we were up against back then.

You are really undervaluing Rafa's tactical acumen there code. We beat Barca over two legs in the CL with a vastly inferior side. The difference with rafa is that he doesnt mind 'winning ugly', defending deep and working on the counter attack. Muppets like abromovich want exciting pass and move football but it's very difficult to create a proper, consistently good, pass and move side with the right balance, even if you have a massive transfer budget.

Penalties victories don't count anyway, eh Code.

Missing that point spectaculary.

Have you seen anyone hail Dalglish a mangerial genius because we beat Cardiff on penalties?

I have not, but I have seen people hail Rafa as a tactical genius when he was totally outwitted by Alan Pardew and only saved by personal brilliance from Steven Gerrard.

The whole point about the penalty arguemtn was how can you class one managers performance any better than the opponents when it goes to penalties and you are the favourite?

Guest the boy
I'm one of those able to see the big picture and our results in Europe had more to do with Englands benefits in European football at the time because of the money involved compared to other leagues, than Rafa's skills as a manager.

Are you suggesting that the resources and quality of player made available to Rafael Benitez between 05-09, especially those that figured prominently at the height of our achievements in Europe, were of a superior calibre to the Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Milan and Real Madrid sides that we routinely knocked out of the competition?

We had good results in Europe under Rafa, not especially much better than the other English teams at the time though.

How many British sides have won the European Cup in the last 30 years?

Are you suggesting that the resources and quality of player made available to Rafael Benitez between 05-09, especially those that figured prominently at the height of our achievements in Europe, were of a superior calibre to the Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Milan and Real Madrid sides that we routinely knocked out of the competition?

How many British sides have won the European Cup in the last 30 years?

Chelsea arsenal and united got to finals in the following years. English sides were a bit stronger in those few years. Still an amazing feat we had a knack or should I say an out of his skin Steven gerrard for scraping wins.

I think Villas Boas is finished. He will stay until the end of the season, but then Mourinho will be back.

Looking at the remaining fixtures I don't think Chelsea will be in the Champions league next season. They will really struggle to overtake Arsenal with a 3 point deficit, especially considering Chelsea still have City, Arsenal and us away and also Spurs at home. Arsenals run looks much easier.

I'll be amazed if they overturn Napoli in the Champions league now too, So I think Roman Abramovich will have to swallow his pride and bring back 'the special one'

Chelsea actually have a decent squad of players, It's just clear that they won't play for this manager and don't suit his style of play. Mourinho will unite the team once again, and I fear he will put them right back in contention for the title next year.

Guest the boy
Chelsea arsenal and united got to finals in the following years. English sides were a bit stronger in those few years. Still an amazing feat we had a knack or should I say an out of his skin Steven gerrard for scraping wins.

And so I ask again:

Are you suggesting that the resources and quality of player made available to Rafael Benitez between 05-09, especially those that figured prominently at the height of our achievements in Europe, were superior to the calibre of the Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Milan and Real Madrid sides that we routinely knocked out of the competition?

Guest San Don

Boas is a dead man walking. He knows it, the players (well some of them) know it, the chelshit board know it and the fans know it.

It really is a question of when commerade abramovich decides to pulll the trigger.

And so I ask again:

Are you suggesting that the resources and quality of player made available to Rafael Benitez between 05-09, especially those that figured prominently at the height of our achievements in Europe, were superior to the calibre of the Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Milan and Real Madrid sides that we routinely knocked out of the competition?

I've not suggested we did, just that English sides were having a purple patch in Europe. That being said riena Alonso, gerrard, torres even carra at that point are players of a calibre equal to those sides. We weren't as ultimately shit as people make out, though Rafa and that side outdid themselves on the European stage.

Porto won it before us, cuper got Valencia to two European cup finals, Barca and real weren't a patch on the teams they have become.

chelsea were the best in europe at the time and we beat them twice in the cl. Back in the days before cech wore a helmet even.

I think that anyone who attempts to denigrate or belittle Benitez's achievements in winning a European cup final, and reaching another 2 years later is, frankly, pitiful

Let's face it, we won't be reaching another one any time soon

I think that anyone who attempts to denigrate or belittle Benitez's achievements in winning a European cup final, and reaching another 2 years later is, frankly, pitiful

You get some stick on here a lot of i can understand , but agree with everything you wrote there.

Yep, can't argue with that.

How is it though that threads like this always seem to end up with a 'Rafa was the greatest'/'Rafa had to go' slugfest?

It's tiresome.

Missing that point spectaculary.

Have you seen anyone hail Dalglish a mangerial genius because we beat Cardiff on penalties?

This is all correct.

What you're all forgetting is that Code, who played under Rafa for a number of years, saw first hand his day to day workings and tactical nous.

Didi Hamann, on the other hand, is a bitter, twisted obsessive who comes on Liverpool websites to snipe continually about past events in an attempt to denigrate an ex-Liverpool manager and make himself look right no matter the overwhelming evidence against him.

One of these people calls him a genius, the other one, ironically given his public persona, calls him a clown.

Can you guess who is who, folks....?

Said it before in this thread and il say it again, he wants to be sacked.

Just seen his post match interview today, basically yes we were shit, West brom better every minute of the game, its like hes goading Abramovich to sack him. I think Roman is waiting till the end of the season to try and get in the man he wants next.

Guest alantkayll
Said it before in this thread and il say it again, he wants to be sacked.

Just seen his post match interview today, basically yes we were shit, West brom better every minute of the game, its like hes goading Abramovich to sack him. I think Roman is waiting till the end of the season to try and get in the man he wants next.

Maybe he realizes that he can't beat Terry,Lampard and Drogba. God help any manager who goes there.

I feel a bit sorry for the bloke , i know he came across quite arrogant at the start , think you can put that down to inexperience handling our shithole media......

He just looks like a beaten man similar to Wenger at the start of the season , i hate the way these arrogant weasels in our media just continue to beat these managers when they are down.

Its to big a job at this time for him and thats nothing to be ashamed of , its a cunt of a job for anyone to have anyway and especially at this time with what needs to be done to them , he'll learn a lot from the experience and will bounce back because hes clearly got some talent.