You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

Really hope his isn't true, even though I'm a fan of AVB.

We need a bit of stability for the next couple of seasons at least and Kenny is the man and the only man for the next few years at least for me.

You could be right, but what is your definition of stability? Surely an overhaul of the whole set up is needed and we need to move forward at a rapid pace or risk being left behind. I think the takeover of the club by FSG and the appointment of Dalglish has already helped to stablise the club but now we need to move forward and quickly.

True, I'm confused how we can seal a pre-contract agreement when he's under his current one until 2013. If he were to leave early, what would we do? Would we just have first-option?

I didn't realise he was contracted until 2013. If that's the case, I'd take all of this nonsense with a shovel of salt.

If AvB is half as good as Mourinho then I'd love him here.

But, there's part of me that suspects Mourinho could be in contention here at the end of the season.

I think he's got a soft spot for us and can see the massive potential of the club, and can see FSG are willing to spend money.

I actually think it's a better proposition for him than Man City, because he'd be taking over a set of mancini's players once again and one would suspect that he'd like to break away from that (Inter connection).

Will the Arabs continue to invest heavily in a new manager? Not so sure, I think they think the hard spending has already been done and will just top up here and there.

Whereas Liverpool is going to be a blank canvass in the Summer, carte blanche to buy and sell who he likes.

Disagree massively here.

FSG have always spoken about having a long term plan for success and buying younger players on long term contracts.

Wherever Mourinho is hired to you can only expect him to stay there a season or two at the most and that is massively at odds with FSG's philosophy.

Keeping Kenny on at 60 would be more long term than hiring Mourinho.

I thought it was worth a check. "Pre-contract agreement" is one of Balague's favourite terms so I thought I'd take a look before taking it as read.

Of course, it may just mean that we've lined him up for the summer but don't want an interim period of uncertainty.

Guest San Don

I see Deschamps has now signalled he's ready to move on from OM.

I love Kenny and hope we dont ditch him tbh. The King has a job to rebuild us and set the foundations again which for want of a better description seem to have fallen into ruin.

It doesnt matter who the manager is he cant make a silk purse out of a pig's ear with the current injuries and squad we have.

If Deschamps or Villas Boas wants a job here, it has, imo, got to be the Kings understudy, to learn how we operate and do things 'the Liverpool way.'

I cant see either of them agreeing to that though.

You could be right, but what is your definition of stability? Surely an overhaul of the whole set up is needed and we need to move forward at a rapid pace or risk being left behind. I think the takeover of the club by FSG and the appointment of Dalglish has already helped to stablise the club but now we need to move forward and quickly.

My definition of stability including squad rebuilding. Yes mate, you are right in terms of Kenny has stabilised the club and more importantly the then splintered fanbase.

Hopefully with Kenny/Clarke/Commoli, the right players will be sold and top notch signings will be brought in, especially this summer. Maybe their thinking is that if they give Kenny the job and someone like AVB becomes available in a few years for arguments sake, then not sure Kenny will step aside for him or anyone else.

It's pretty obvious that Kenny wants the job for the long haul and maybe FSG don't agree with this. They may want a much younger man at the helm.

I really hope that Kenny gets the job. The way he's conducted himself has been a complete breath of fresh air.

He definitely could be lined up for the summer, no question, but I just can't see anybody other than Kenny. Everything fits. I just can't see FSG allowing him to spend £35 million on the type of centre forward Andy Carroll is then not keeping him on as manager. What if the next manager (if not Kenny) doesn't fancy a big target man up front? Andy Carroll isn't going to be every managers cup of tea.

It sounds like the sort of thing FSG might do, they did appoint a 28 year old as General Manager of the Red Sox soon after acquiring them. I don’t know why Villas Boas would want to make such a move at this stage of his career though.

I’m not sure how american sports “franchises” work. Do they have one all powerful individual overseeing all the sports side as in english football? If they don't maybe FSG aren’t comfortable with placing the welfare of their investment in one man’s hands so they want to build a coaching “team” instead.

If this fella hadn't worked with Mourinho how many would be championing him to be our manager? A 33 year old with one season as Porto manager, massive risk.

Party boy, if he had worked with Ian Dowie, we'd say fuck him, but as you rightly pointed out, he has worked closely with Mourinho, and love him, or hate him, Mourinho is arguably the best manager in the game,

He may be young, but his CV and modern thinking combined, could be shanklyesque for us

I hope these rumours are true, but more than likely they are rubbish

Disagree massively here.

FSG have always spoken about having a long term plan for success and buying younger players on long term contracts.

Wherever Mourinho is hired to you can only expect him to stay there a season or two at the most and that is massively at odds with FSG's philosophy.

Keeping Kenny on at 60 would be more long term than hiring Mourinho.

This isn't true at all. Mourinho is looking to come back the the Premier League and wants to settle.

Rightly or wrongly I think he fits the bill for us and the clubs ambitions and need of success suits him perfectly.

Now Im not suggesting him over Kenny but he is the best possible alternative around.

He would love the job.

There is nothing in any of the portuguese papers about VB leaving Porto and I just cannot see it myself at this point.

He has won the league, could still do a Treble and he will be able to test himself in the CL next season with his home town club. I would be amazed if he passed that up to come to us next year, probably with no European football.

Give it a couple of years, and who knows. The potential is there, they play really nice football and he certainly has something about him which will make him for the future.

fuck that,AVB can wait even if he wants the job...We have a manager,he is one of our own and possibly the only thing we can all agree on because he is the King..He will be given the job,when you hear anyone from FSG they are always saying kenny this in the summer,kenny that in the summer...yer man from FSG and Le Bron James's mate on SSN the other day were even calling him ''the king'' and 'King Kenny'.....and god knows you cant get rid of the King...