You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

whiplash? advice with car accident?

Pony Princess

Few people I know who’ve claimed recently have had their Insurance go up at renewal even though it wasn’t there fault. 

That question asking if youve you’ve been involved in any accidents in the last 5 years even if wasn’t your fault is the killer now. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Few people I know who’ve claimed recently have had their Insurance go up at renewal even though it wasn’t there fault. 

That question asking if youve you’ve been involved in any accidents in the last 5 years even if wasn’t your fault is the killer now. 

Is that not just because premiums have gone up generally? And/or the renewal always seems to be more than what you’ve been paying.

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Try adding 10 years ha, no idea to be honest. Ive got 10 years no claims so that must count a fair bit

Still worth a quick comparison search, I’d say. I never find it worth staying with my existing insurer

22 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

LadyD was rear ended (ooer) by a white van yesterday. Went to the doctors who advised whiplash. She's walking round like Herman Munster and think she's in a bit of shock. Thank God she is ok though and ToddleD had just been dropped off at school.

Our car is fine according to my neighbour mechanic whose just looked at it for me.  It's old as fuck and doesn't have fancy Dan things like crumple zones but the front of the van apparently looked a mess. 

Considering the customary whiplash claim but wondering if declaration of an accident will effect our car insurance as she had a long no claims discount as well? 

Any companies or advice anyone can recommend? 

Once the case has been settled then you should retain your no claims status. If it seems as open and shut as you claim in that she was rear ended then I don't see how the the driver of the van can even attempt to claim none fault.

A lot of insurance companies are now dealing with the third party of minor accidents directly in order to keep it out the hands of expensive solicitors. Don't be to surprised if the van drivers insurance company contacts Lady D directly to make her an offer and sort any damage out to the car. As I said it's all about keeping the costs down. If they do, don't accept the first offer they make. The money they save in keeping it our of the hands of solicitors, medical reports etc can run into thousands

My mates daughter was involved in a none fault minor accident a few months ago. The insurance company of the man who hit her called her the next day and made her an offer of £1.500 and sorted the car out. It was all done and dusted within two weeks.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Still worth a quick comparison search, I’d say. I never find it worth staying with my existing insurer

Absolutely right, I have never had a quote from an existing insurer that I haven't been able to better somewhere else. Normally when you tell them that you've had a better quote they somehow find a different quote on the system that wasn't there before.

Getting quotes is absolutely essential, no matter how much you're paying for insurance.

• 3 weeks later...

The company who's van hit LadyD has admitted liability. We've got a settlement for the car and they've made her an offer of £1k for the whiplash. She's still in pain now buying heat pads for her neck and back. Although she hasn't any missed work she's still suffering and has a physio session this week 

I'm inclined to settle to draw a line under it but she wants to hold out for a bit more as she's still in pain.  

Any thoughts or advice mighty GF?

29 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

The company who's van hit LadyD has admitted liability. We've got a settlement for the car and they've made her an offer of £1k for the whiplash. She's still in pain now buying heat pads for her neck and back. Although she hasn't any missed work she's still suffering and has a physio session this week 

I'm inclined to settle to draw a line under it but she wants to hold out for a bit more as she's still in pain.  

Any thoughts or advice mighty GF?

If she's genuinely still suffering then she could well have an underlying undiagnosed condition. I wouldn't be accepting that offer just yet. Once you accept then that's it. 

Even if you are going to deal, tell them to shove the grand mate. No way I'd be accepting that offer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1