You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kinect

Al Campbell

I had a Wii and came to the conclusion that I only play computer games when I'm too lazy or tired to have a game of footy or go the gym. That's why I sold it, because I couldn't be arsed to throw my arms around like a lunatic.

Out of the three consoles that now have this type of technology, Microsoft seem to have the best version of it all, but I agree with Rex that it's going to be a bit boring until they use the software for a decent game.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone bothering with this? The tech is definitely ace, especially if you could adapt the voice and motion controls to work your telly as well. I'm not so sure about the games yet though. Kinectimals? Bag of shite.

I think the thing putting people (me anyway) off Kinect is the price tag. £130 for what is an add on, no matter which way they try and slice it, is way too much. From what I've read it looks quite impressive and all that but £130 is way, way too much.

I see it took all of 3 hours for people to hack Kinect and hook it up to their PC, Mac or Linux systems.

The tech is really amazing as Mr. Campbell alluded to in the original post. It looks even better when hooked up to a PC, etc...

One of the homebrew apps that someone has created since hacking Kinect, is a Minority Report style photo gallery, and I liked what I seen.

As Mr. AP says, the price is far too high at the moment, especially for something that looks as though it'll snap if you're as ham-fisted and clumsy as I happen to be.

it looks good but can i ask a question. Is the motion thing wireless? the only reason i ask is because i have a projector on my back wall with all things below, such as xbox, sky etc SO if has too be wired into my xbox there is no point me getting one as im guessing the wire is no where near long enough to stretch right around the room.

Please let me know. Any any bright ideas on what i can do to sort this problem would be great, other than buy a tv :)

I'm not too arsed about getting it to be honest. I normally play my xbox when knackered and I just want to lounge on the sofa after a tough day at work.

I don't want to be jumping around my front room, sweating and knocking into things during such a time.

The other half keeps asking me when in going to get it though, so hopefully she'll grow tired of waiting and will stump up the cash when the price is lowered.

Unless some really good games (which never come out at a launch, to be fair) come out then I'll see it as another toy that'll probably get used for a month, then forgotten about.

it looks good but can i ask a question. Is the motion thing wireless? the only reason i ask is because i have a projector on my back wall with all things below, such as xbox, sky etc SO if has too be wired into my xbox there is no point me getting one as im guessing the wire is no where near long enough to stretch right around the room.

Please let me know. Any any bright ideas on what i can do to sort this problem would be great, other than buy a tv :)

No its wired.

Bought it for the youngun for Christmas but had to take it out of box whilst she is at school to make sure it works.

You do need to have plenty of room though as it needs a minimum distance of 6ft between you and the sensor.

If you have an old xbox360 then it needs plugging in at the wall socket as well but if you have one of the new types (xbox360 S) then the 360 itself provides the power.

It come with Kinect Adventures which seemed alright at a quick play although has you jumping around like a lunatic straight away.

It also updates your console before you can start playing so if you have it modded i would be careful.