You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Hangover Thread

Paulie Dangerously

Last few weeks I've lost my hangover invulnerability. I'm 30 next year (all: "gasp") is this the end?

Yep. In fact, you've probably peaked early.

I was fine with hangovers until I hit 30 - I'd wake up, have a brew and then think about where I was going for a beer that afternoon.

Once 30 rolled round, I suddenly found myself unable to raise my head from the pillow in the morning and when I did move, the furthest I wanted to go was the sofa, where I would promptly take up residence for the day.

It hasn't got any better either...

A really good method of avoidance is having a pint of water before you go out and also preferably one at the bar. Relying on remembering to drink water when you are cunted is dangerous play.

The only methods of curing an existing hangover that have worked for me was coffee from a coffee shop when I wasn't used to regular Caffeine intake, exercise which is absolutely horrendous to go through when you are doing it and hair of the dog.

Exercise is far and away the best. Get on a treadmill or get outside and do some heavy cardio. It won't make you 100% but it's a massive improvement.

I used to love throwing up at half time after a session the night before. It does work tho.

someone once said eat tomatoes before you go out? never tried it.

normally 2 nurofen and a pint of water before bed does the trick or the same as soon as i get up and then a banana and a yoghurt.... and a tug. then a shower

or.... get straight back on the ale and fuck it

I don't find that anything helps. The thought of food the next morning makes me sick after a heavy session. Even if I do try something I'll end up throwing it up within half an hour. I've always suffered since I was a kid. I'm 24 now and I'm as rough as ever after a night on the ale. It doesn't help that I tend to mix my bevys pretty much every time I'm out. I always get bloated after 7 or 8 pints so its on to the spirits then.

Generally speaking I think it just takes time and sleep for me. Sometimes having a shit load of water before bed has helped but others it hasn't even touched it. Worryingly in now starting to feel quite ropey 2 days after the ale session. I'd say the only place I've never struggled with hangovers is my trips away in Eastern Europe. I'd drink lager all day through until 5/6am, then be ready to be back on it by midday. Tiredness was the only problem. Says a lot about the quality of the ale on tap over here.

• 1 year later...

In a massive amount of pain here. Getting a shower and had to jump out because I wanted to vomit and have a shit at the same time.

Thankfully that moment passed, got dry and dropped on the bed and my leg instantly seized up with cramp.

Trying to shit it out now.