You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Hangover Thread

Paulie Dangerously

I’ve always enjoyed a nice cider in the sunshine but it’s never been my regular tipple. 

After more than thirty years of downing lager I’ve gone right off the stuff and have switched to cider full time. Since then my hangovers have improved.

I now only feel like death for three days, instead of the previous five. 

Got back from Center Parcs earlier. We'd had a few on Thursday night in town with her mates then a few when we got to Center Parcs on Friday night (nothing too heavy just tipsy). Started drinking on Saturday at about 3 and hammered a mix of Magners, Desperados and some cocktails her mum made until about midnight. Yesterday had about 5 pints of Aspell then back to the lodge where we were hammering prosecco, champagne and some strong gin cocktails. Drive back was dreadful, the weather was horrible. We got in bed and had a few hours kip. I can hardly move. Bastards want you out at 10am and we had 4 screaming kids across two lodges wanting to keep holidaying while were trying to clean up and pack. Worst I've felt in a long time. Doubt I'll touch a drop until the next final unless a miracle happens on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve always enjoyed a nice cider in the sunshine but it’s never been my regular tipple. 

After more than thirty years of downing lager I’ve gone right off the stuff and have switched to cider full time. Since then my hangovers have improved.

I now only feel like death for three days, instead of the previous five. 

Cider is always my go to pint. 

But the sugar/calories is an absolute cunt. I try to stick to lager at home but as soon as the weather changes I get the rattle if someone offers me a lager instead of a thatchers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Got back from Center Parcs earlier. We'd had a few on Thursday night in town with her mates then a few when we got to Center Parcs on Friday night (nothing too heavy just tipsy). Started drinking on Saturday at about 3 and hammered a mix of Magners, Desperados and some cocktails her mum made until about midnight. Yesterday had about 5 pints of Aspell then back to the lodge where we were hammering prosecco, champagne and some strong gin cocktails. Drive back was dreadful, the weather was horrible. We got in bed and had a few hours kip. I can hardly move. Bastards want you out at 10am and we had 4 screaming kids across two lodges wanting to keep holidaying while were trying to clean up and pack. Worst I've felt in a long time. Doubt I'll touch a drop until the next final unless a miracle happens on Sunday. 

Sure you'll be able to afford a pint for the final after a week in Centerparcs? Place cleared me out a few years back. Remember being charged almost £70 for 3 meals and a drink each, and it was only burgers and hot dogs etc they sold. 

3 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

Sure you'll be able to afford a pint for the final after a week in Centerparcs? Place cleared me out a few years back. Remember being charged almost £70 for 3 meals and a drink each, and it was only burgers and hot dogs etc they sold. 

It was only a weekend. Tbh only had a few pints in the sports bar yesterday we spent most of the time swimming or in the lodge and took stuff with us. Wasn’t too bad. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dying here today. Someone thought it was a good idea to go on the fairground rides that are in town. When already pissed. And then follow it up with spicy chicken wings. That was just halfway through the night, the rest is a blur. This is going to be a tough day but I'm hoping I'll still be alive by the end of it!

• Upvote 1

I am really fucking rough today, didn't even have that much to drink, 4 cans of Heineken, 3 pints of Tennents & two brandy & Cokes and I feel like I've gone 5 rounds with Mike Tyson. 

Absolutely brutal these hangovers once you get past 40.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Was out on Friday. Hit it hard. 

Still dying now. Can’t keep anything down, have barely moved. I’m in the doghouse.  

I don’t think I can keep this up for much longer. 

Don’t be hard on yourself. After a big session and the associated stresses, you should be thankful you can manage any kind of erection. 

• Upvote 2

I went out early afternoon on Saturday to watch some of the unmentionable that was happening North of Hadrians wall. I then went out again early Saturday evening to a couple of locals near me and one in particular had an ace covers band on. Lost track of the pints, finished with a couple of large Malbecs and a couple of Tequilas.

Sunday wasnt pleasant.....felt very sweaty and anxious, went for a whirlpool and a steam. Its quite a while since ive caned it like that, and its been a wakeup call before the silly season, will keep my foot on the brake again now.

I’m alive. 

Taking Turdsette to my mates later so the kids can play Switch. Getting a Dominos I think. Probably gonna stick to two beers though. 

I’ve had it in the neck from her for not knowing when to stop drinking. I’ll behave myself over Xmas and New Year because I can’t be doing with another hangover like that anyway. 

The acid test will be next time I go to the football. 

• Upvote 3

On 19/12/2022 at 11:35, Captain Turdseye said:

Was out on Friday. Hit it hard. 

Still dying now. Can’t keep anything down, have barely moved. I’m in the doghouse.  

I don’t think I can keep this up for much longer. 

Thankfully I'm usually alright within 24 hours. I wouldn't be able to hack a hangover that went on for any longer than that. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/12/2022 at 14:30, Red_or_Dead said:

I haven't had a drink since our last proper game.  Drinking tonight, so expecting to be visiting this thread tomorrow...

Had five beers last night (admittedly some were 10%ers) so my head felt like a punch bag this morning.  Just need to get reacclimatised...

I thought I had the worst hangover ever a couple of weeks back. My missus selfishly got Covid just before my birthday so we couldn't go out and it was too late to do anything else. I spent most of the Sunday drinking wine and watching Father Ted, then remembered I had a joint stashed away. Stupidly, I either didn't remember that it was really strong or didn't care after four bottles, and smoked the whole thing in one go outside.

The next couple of hours were a real struggle, but I do remember finally appreciating Kid A after spending nearly half an hour getting from the toilet to my office room. I had Monday off, woke up feeling like death incarnate and got steadily worse during the day to the point where I was starting to get worried I'd fucked myself up.

I had an absolutely bizarre couple of hours' sleep on Monday night, and got up about 3:30, thinking I'd probably done my liver in, but fortunately it was just my own first bout of Covid. I'm not long for this world.

• 2 months later...