You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

are man u, citeh or chelsea after N'Zogbia despite many years playing in this country. plus he's a bit of a twat. wouldn't go near him

Dude we cannot compete with their spending power. Scum have big revenues, Citeh and Chelsea have sugar daddies. Even Arsenal have better revenues than us. We cannot spend money that we don't have ya know.

Agree on the twat part but a big club may calm him down.

What was the fucking point of us being taken over if were not going to spend big money on decent players?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£9m for n'zogbia fucking hell the world has gone nuts. If inflations gone that high recently i expect to pay £50 for my next pick'n mix. He's Evberton level first team, ok squad player for us.

At present we need players who are currently much better than what we have, no fucking way does N'Zogbia meet that criteria.

Fuck average stop gaps, buy for the long term future. Build/create a team that can compete with the very best in 2/3 years time.

I'd rather give our younger players a sustained run than waste money like this in January

For once George, I totally disagree.

I think N'zogbia is exactly the type of wide player we need. Currently our best wide options - Kuyt, Maxi and Cole are all slow players, they are reliant on technique and the passing / movement of their teammates... something we have been poor at this season.

What we lack is a wide player who can beat opposition players and gives us some pace in the final third, N'zogbia is one of the best in the league at doing this - better than Young in my opinion. He has a good left foot and left wing is a clear weakness in our team (with BAbel and Jovanovic two of our options). £9 million I think is not over the odds, given what other players have gone for - Valencia cost Man U £17 million didn't he? He's not better than N'zogbia for me. Then you look at Milner, another wide player who cost a bomb. Young is quoted £20 million plus and I don't think he's better than N'zogbia.

I think it is good value and he's certainly improve our team. However what we need more than good players, is a good manager - as we already have lots of goods players at the club.

Would certainly be happy with N'zogbia though.

N'Zogbia would be another middling signing for us really. Be nice to have some pace on the wing and that but really, we should be aiming much higher.

Oh yeah and it's a metro article which makes it a load of nonsense.

What was the fucking point of us being taken over if were not going to spend big money on decent players?

Um, not going under?

We'll spend in relation to what the club makes, so as not to find ourselves in massive debt again.

Um, not going under?

We'll spend in relation to what the club makes, so as not to find ourselves in massive debt again.

Yeah, so we buy proven quality players for, what, £20 million plus? Or continue buying £9, 10, 11 Million players (in the good ol' days) that might turn out to be, meh?

I can't believe some people are against the signing of N'Zogbia. His level of performance has been excellent for two seasons now. He has caused so many problems in the games against us and I can also remember him perfoming well against the better premier league teams. If he is available for 9 million we should sign him immediatley. He is worth at least 15 million imo.

Young would be a disasterous signing - he had a decent year about 3 years ago and has never really played as well since.

N'Zogbia, at that price, is worth a go - perhaps. The only thing I'd be worried about is that he is by far Wigan's best player which probably makes him look better than he actually is/would be with better players around him.

are man u, citeh or chelsea after N'Zogbia despite many years playing in this country. plus he's a bit of a twat. wouldn't go near him

I can just see it now. Hey boss I think we should make a cheeky bid for that player at Dortmund. Hmmm are Man u City or Chelsea after him 'cos if they're not we shouldn't bother.............

Yeah, so we buy proven quality players for, what, £20 million plus? Or continue buying £9, 10, 11 Million players (in the good ol' days) that might turn out to be, meh?

Young was bought for 11 million and is now worth what? How much did big Sammi or Didi cost ? Our takeover was more about getting rid of H&G and taking us out of debt. Spending 20M+ is not always the way to go.

I agree with comments made by Tony Barrett on LFC Now when he said that even if we have money to spend in January, he doesn't believe we'll be able to attract the top tier players as we're not in the CL and it's unlikely we'll be there next season either. He said we'll need to pitch the level of players we're going to get. Sad but true.imo.

I agree with comments made by Tony Barrett on LFC Now when he said that even if we have money to spend in January, he doesn't believe we'll be able to attract the top tier players as we're not in the CL and it's unlikely we'll be there next season either. He said we'll need to pitch the level of players we're going to get. Sad but true.imo.

He made a few good points, saying the last 3 summers signings haven't been good enough, IMO bar merellis and maybe ngog that's spot on, some serious disasters bought for the 1st team

He made a few good points, saying the last 3 summers signings haven't been good enough, IMO bar merellis and maybe ngog that's spot on, some serious disasters bought for the 1st team

I agree with him too. I think as fans and I include myself, we automatically assume that we can still attract the very best due to our name and our history. In some cases that is true. However, we have to be realistic especially given our current state. The top draw players will inevitably want to join teams who are competing in the CL or the top spots in their own league.

I agree with him too. I think as fans and I include myself, we automatically assume that we can still attract the very best due to our name and our history. In some cases that is true. However, we have to be realistic especially given our current state. The top draw players will inevitably want to join teams who are competing in the CL or the top spots in their own league.

i agree. Think there's a lot of people that believe all we need is our reputation which can definitely play a part. But no cl football and the serious possibility of no European football at alt next year is going to hurt us.

Never mind mentioning the manager. He definitely will not help our case.

My only hope is comolli oversaw some good signings for spurs when they weren't in the cl so maybe he can do the same for us

i agree. Think there's a lot of people that believe all we need is our reputation which can definitely play a part. But no cl football and the serious possibility of no European football at alt next year is going to hurt us.

Never mind mentioning the manager. He definitely will not help our case.

My only hope is comolli oversaw some good signings for spurs when they weren't in the cl so maybe he can do the same for us

I think the policy in the next 2 years will be spend big £8-15m on youth 18-23 year olds who would jump at the chance to join us, we need a manager players in that age group are familiar with, that's why I think Deschamp is the right man. With his coaching ability he will also be respected for all he won as a player

Good posts lads. Not entirely sold on Deschamps but he's definitely got potential to be a top class manager.

We could probably get Turan because he seems to want to join us, but it's whether we can get him for a reasonable price. N'Zogbia definitely represents good value at £9 million. Dzudzsak is another good option who wouldn't cose the earth.

We need a right winger as well though because it's time Kuyt was moved on, and Maxi isn't really good enough to fill the position full time.

Young was bought for 11 million and is now worth what? How much did big Sammi or Didi cost ? Our takeover was more about getting rid of H&G and taking us out of debt. Spending 20M+ is not always the way to go.

Young really isnt worth more than £11 million though is he. Unless some stupid club wants to pay the English premium.

With Sami and Didi how much they be worth in today's market? Post Abramovich and Sheikh times?

Thing is though if we get it right and sign players that aren't yet top tier players like we have done at times during the last 10 years or so then we'll be sound.

Good players with potential also seems to be how NESV wanna approach it.

Young would be a disasterous signing - he had a decent year about 3 years ago and has never really played as well since.

N'Zogbia, at that price, is worth a go - perhaps. The only thing I'd be worried about is that he is by far Wigan's best player which probably makes him look better than he actually is/would be with better players around him.

I don't see how N'Zogbia represents any less of a risk, or how he'd be any less of a "disastrous" signing for us than Young would. You say Young has had one good season in three, well that season was better than any season N'Zogbia has ever had. Even now, during his best, he's managed a whole three goals and 2 assists so far.

Do you really think every signing has to be a £20m one? And "proven quality"? Like Robbie Keane for instance? For that same £20m we could have bought Nasri and Adam Johnson. That's what £20m can buy if you're clever enough about.

Sturr Crazy: Roy Hodgson wants Daniel on loan in January

Dec 19 2010 By Alan Nixon, The People

Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge celebrates his goal

SturridgePic

Roy Hodgson is making a *surprise bid to sign Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge in a bid to save Liverpool’s season – and his own job.

Kop boss Hodgson wants to take the England Under-21 international on loan with a view to a £5million transfer and will open talks with the Double *winners to push the move through for the start of the window.

Sturridge has yet to stake a place in the Chelsea starting line-up and could be interested in the chance of a game at the Kop – where Hodgson wants a new *attacker to give Fernando Torres help and the occasional rest.

The talented youngster, 21, joined Chelsea 18 months ago from Manchester City when his *contract expired but he has been left on the fringes at Stamford Bridge.

But Hodgson knows him well and thinks his kind of versatility – he can play through the middle or supporting the main striker – is just what he wants.

The fact Liverpool would like him on loan first – with a chance to buy if he does well – also adds fuel to the suggestion under-fire Hodgson needs to turn things round for his own sake.

Chelsea are aware of Liverpool’s interest in Sturridge but are yet to decide whether to let him go.

Boss Carlo Ancelotti will want another striker signed next month or he will leave himself short.

Ancelotti’s spies have been watching Cardiff City’s England new boy Jay Bothroyd, whose contract is up in the *summer, and there are other potential targets.

Sturridge cost Chelsea a fee of up to £5m at a tribunal.

Liverpool would pay that kind of money if he pays off for them. His big wages do not scare them either.

The loan arrangement would also suit the young striker who wants to be sure his next move – if he makes a permanent one – is right to make sure his career finally takes off.

Sturridge was in the City side at 19 but left after a contract dispute

Liverpool bid to land Hamburg striker Elijero Elia for £5m in January

Dec 19 2010 By Tom Hopkinson, The People

Add a comment

Recommend

Dutch forward Elijero Elia in action for his country

EliaPic

LIVERPOOL have entered the race for highly-rated Holland forward Eljero Elia.

Winger Elia, a member of the Dutch World Cup squad in South Africa, wants out of Hamburg and Liverpool’s director of football strategy, Damien Comolli, hopes his good relations with the German side can help broker a deal.

Hamburg want around £5million for the player, who is rumoured to be the subject of two offers from Italian giants Juventus. Liverpool would take Elia on loan or on a permanent basis, but their valuation is far closer to £3m.

Former Reds boss Rafa Benitez was interested in taking Elia to Anfield during his reign, but a deal could not be struck.

Now, though, manager Roy Hodgson and Comolli are more confident a deal can be done when the January window opens.