You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

$24 Million Liverpool Transfer Target Yann M'Vila Keen on Premier League Move - Liverpool FC - NESN.com

20-year-old Rennes defensive midfielder Yann M'Vila's solid form has earned him more than his share of admirers of late. Not only has he been called up to the French National team, but he's also been tracked by many of England's biggest clubs including Liverpool. That, apparently, is a prospect that he couldn't be more enthusiastic about.

"Which league do I watch on TV? The Premier League! It matches my game," M'Vila exclaimed, according to L'Equipe.

"It is a warrior’s game, where you have to show plenty of fighting spirit.

"I like to watch Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, but also Manchester City," he continued. "I’m a big fan of the English state of mind and tackling."

Still, M'Vila is not interested in going to a big-name club and sitting on the bench.

"You can’t leave for a big club to be a substitute. I prefer to stay at my club to improve. I want to work more on the attacking aspect of my game – scoring and assisting."

Liverpool are considered the favorites to buy the $24 million (15 million pound) Frenchman, but he has been linked to Tottenham and Aston Villa as well, and Manchester United, Chelsea, and Arsenal also all loom as possibilities.

Liverpool's first-choice defensive midfielders this season, Lucas and Raul Meireles, have had up-and-down seasons, but have looked relatively better of late. Christian Poulssen, brought in by Roy Hodgson to play the same role, has not yet made an impact at Anfield.

Hodgson is said to be interested in acquiring multiple players come January, but defenders, wide players, and forwards are considered higher priority positions of need. Still, the tough-tackling, physical midfielder would likely provide strong cover for the Reds' slow, often mistake-prone defense.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXCLUSIVE: January battle for Sessegnon begins 13 December 2010 - 13:03 | Sport.co.uk

Sport.co.uk can confirm that the battle for the signature of Paris Saint Germain midfielder Stephane Sessegnon has begun with Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool, West Ham and Everton tracking the talented Benin international.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has made a formal enquiry regarding the purchase of the enforcer and is, as things stand, the favourite to land the 26-year-old after the player signalled his intention to move to England.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has monitored the player for the last 18 months, but it is unknown whether the Gunners coach will strengthen in the January window.

Liverpool’s new director of football strategy, Damian Comolli, is a confirmed admirer and has also had the player watched on a number of occasions since joining the Reds. The Hammers and Toffees are also reportedly in the race for Sessegnon having made tentative enquiries.

Sessegnon confirmed last summer his intention to quit the French capital at the end of this season after two years at the turmoil-ridden Parc des Princes. Speaking to Sport.co.uk, a source close to the player revealed:

“I do not know if he will be staying at the moment. I could not say for sure. He could leave PSG.

“The Premier League is a serious option for him, and he would like to play there. So we will see.”

Apparently we were looking at Chiellini as an alternative to Dossena that summer, and the money being quoted was around £4m compared to the £7m we paid for the chubby one.

In fairness, we've made some horrendous transfer decisions with what money we've had in recent years.

Bollocks we could have got Chiellini for £4m. No chance whatsoever. I doubt we could have got him for three or four times that.

Liverpool's director of football strategy Damien Comolli will travel to France before the New Year to watch Sochaux star Ryad Boudebouz, Goal.com UK can reveal.

The 20-year-old has emerged as the latest France-based target for the Reds as they look to rejuvenate their squad in January by signing potential stars.

Boudebouz has been watched by a number of top European sides this season and has most recently been linked with Tottenham and Lyon.

The Algeria international has been given a glowing reference by Steve Hitchin, the highly regarded scout that Spurs manager Harry Redknapp accused Liverpool of ‘nicking’ last month.

Now Comolli is set to cast his eye over Boudebouz in person as Liverpool step up their interest in a player he already knows well from his time as director of football at St Etienne.

Sochaux are reluctant to sell their star player but it is believed they would struggle to turn down an offer in excess of £4 million to take the player to Anfield.

“Liverpool have shown serious interest in him and Damien Comolli will come to watch him at a game in the next two or three weeks,” an insider told Goal.com UK.

“It is looking very possible that he will sign for Liverpool – he is an exciting young player who needs developing but is capable of special things.”

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson wants at least four new players in the January transfer window but it is believed Boudebouz would arrive at Anfield initially as a squad player and is considered one for the future.

Boudebouz is regarded as one of the most exciting creative midfielders in French football thanks to his close control, exciting dribbling and sweet left foot.

He featured for Algeria in the goalless draw against England at the World Cup last summer in a central position but is equally comfortable out wide. He has already scored some stunning goals in his career including a goal from the halfway line against Monaco last season.

Despite representing France at youth level, Boudebouz switched his allegiance ahead of the 2010 World Cup to Algeria, the country of his parents.

Liverpool eye January move for £4m Algerian starlet Ryad Boudebouz - Goal.com

No idea who this guy is. Read that he is left footed and a central creative midfielder. not many assists or goals this season.

Anybody of decent from France or one of it's former colonies is likely to be linked because Cammoli is with us now

Yep even though in a recent interview he stated that he was looking to bring some British players as he felt the club should keep its British identity.

Am I the only person who finds it weird when you watch a Youtube vid of a player we're linked to and then look at the comments there's already about ten saying 'welcome to Liverpool, YNWA'?

Just checked out Boudebouz' youtube. I don't know why as I know it's just youtube and nothing can be gleaned from it but he does look good;)

However we are lacking in so many areas so any player who's quick and skillful will look good to me.

so far we have been linked to 600 attackers , 300 wingers and 250 defensive players. Some good reporting from the media as usual

True. We'll get another young goalkeeper and a versatile left back/central defender/defensive midfielder/cone layouterer.