You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

Are you sure? Isn't this the same situation that Milan found themselves in with Gourcuff, when Bordeaux were able to buy him for a knock-down price?

To answer that question with 100% honesty, no im not sure. But, when you look at all the evidence, some of which i already posted but have popped on the bottom here it seems to suggest that its the case.

When you look at the quotes it always seemed to be the idea if he did well to bring him back.

Although im not sure i reckon someone dropped the ball on the Gourcuff contract. if it was always the plan to bring Aquilani back unless he stank then the contract will be in our favour. Its all in the wording, they say 'option' not 'right'. plus the quote at the bottom says it all. Roy said on the offal "We're doing it with a view to bringing him back"

Its an 'option' to buy not a 'right' to buy

Alberto Aquilani's loan move to Juventus ends poor Liverpool stay | Football | guardian.co.uk

Roy said "After last year, when he came here injured and hardly played, it would be a disaster for him to have two years of hardly any football," he said. "If he can get regular games for a top Serie A team, it gives him the football he needs and protects the value of the player. But first we need to get him back to being the player he was when he came over a year ago. We're doing it with a view to bringing him back."

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he doesn't.

They have the option to buy him. i.e Right to buy but not obligated to buy.

So if he does well and they decide to exercise the option then we can't do anything but sell him at the previously agreed price. If he doesn't do well then or if they are not interested only then can he comeback to us.

No he doesn't.

They have the option to buy him. i.e Right to buy but not obligated to buy.

So if he does well and they decide to exercise the option then we can't do anything but sell him at the previously agreed price. If he doesn't do well then or if they are not interested only then can he comeback to us.

I guess we arent going to know until the summer as we dont have access to the contract.

I have taken the word option to mean as the main party we have the right to opt out of any deal should they wish to buy him, as he is still 'owned' by us i would expect us to have to most control over this situation. However, you may be right, but in my own experience i expect that your not.

Although the contracts i deal with a somewhat different to player contracts, or so i believe, in my experiance i believe that as the main owner we will have the most control and the right to bring him back and refuse any purchasing offer. Plus in a contract the words 'option' and 'right' are very much different.

Plus as i said, the quotes seem to inicate that they want to bring him back, why would they let him go, with the intention of bringing him back and then put themselves in a state of 'check mate' with the contract?

I believe it is similar to a call option contract on stocks. It gives you the right but not the obligation to buy a particular stock. Let us be honest, at that time we were pretty fucked financially and we had to reduce costs so we loaned out/sold some players . No one was going to take the risk with Aquilani given his injury record. The best thing was to loan him out and reduce our wage bill. Moreover, I don't think he was in Roy's long term plans. Not really quick midfielder who was on big wages but would only be bit part in the long run wouldn't have been appealing to the board as well.

I believe it is similar to a call option contract on stocks. It gives you the right but not the obligation to buy a particular stock. Let us be honest, at that time we were pretty fucked financially and we had to reduce costs so we loaned out/sold some players . No one was going to take the risk with Aquilani given his injury record. The best thing was to loan him out and reduce our wage bill. Moreover, I don't think he was in Roy's long term plans. Not really quick midfielder who was on big wages but would only be bit part in the long run wouldn't have been appealing to the board as well.

Correct, if he manages to want Juve to buy him it's £13m for summer window, hopefully Insua is sold and the £2m extra when olympiakos win the league from riera deal. That's £18-19m we can buy a player of quality for that, without selling anybody currently in the squad, so it was a good move as Aqualani needed to be moved on

I am very rarely wrong, in this case I was simply incorrect-

This is the link to the press release from Juve themselves

http://www.juventus.com/site/filesite/finance/comunicatipricesensitive/comunicato_25082010_aquilani_eng.pdf

Well you deserve some serious rep for that! Well done mate.

I stand corrected. I am surpirsed that we wrote that into a contract. Bloody stupid that.

We are going to get 13m for a player we paid 20m for. Bloody daft.

Nice find though mate, well done

Well you deserve some serious rep for that! Well done mate.

I stand corrected. I am surpirsed that we wrote that into a contract. Bloody stupid that.

We are going to get 13m for a player we paid 20m for. Bloody daft.

Nice find though mate, well done

It happened to them last year with Diego, paid 25m sold a year later for 15.

Someone else may know about the terms of the Aqui purchase from Roma but we may have had an installment payment due and this loan may have freed us up from that.

We bought Aquilani for 17.4 million,paying only 5 upfront. And apparently Juventus will pay all the money upfront. Signing Konchesky, letting Insua leave on a free transfer and including difference between Paul and Emiliano wages we lost around 10 million pounds on this signing. Hodgson instead of Benitez another 9-11 million. Joe Cole - 26 million pounds in 4 years including signing on a fee and 3.5 agent profit.

It happened to them last year with Diego, paid 25m sold a year later for 15.

Someone else may know about the terms of the Aqui purchase from Roma but we may have had an installment payment due and this loan may have freed us up from that.

We've paid 3 installments out of 4 on the Aquilani transfer, we'll still have to pay the £4m installment in 2011, plus we'll have to pay 5% of the £13m to Roma, so I guess we'll get about £8m in the end from this Aquilani deal, which isn't much at all. Another poor business decision by Purslow, surprise.

Aqualani has done ok that's all ok at Juve it's a slower league he gets more time on the ball, there already out of Europe, and are doing ok in the league they'll win fuck all again funny how him and Insua suddenly became world beaters since they left us!

well he's Italian, going to an Italian League. Therefore, can we use the 'Englishness tax factor' to them and overcharge them for one of their own?

We bought Aquilani for 17.4 million,paying only 5 upfront. And apparently Juventus will pay all the money upfront. Signing Konchesky, letting Insua leave on a free transfer and including difference between Paul and Emiliano wages we lost around 10 million pounds on this signing. Hodgson instead of Benitez another 9-11 million. Joe Cole - 26 million pounds in 4 years including signing on a fee and 3.5 agent profit.

Juve pays for AA over three years.

apart from add-ons, we'll have paid for aquilani in full by June, we've already paid 15m euros - and if we sell him for the 15m euro's or whatever we've agreed with juve, roma will get another 750k.

- 4 cash instalments of

- - 5 million EURO upfront

- - 3 million EURO by 4th January 2010

- - 7 million EURO by June 30th 2010

- - 5 million EURO by June 30th 2011

Further Add ons include:

- 300,000 EURO for every year Liverpool qualify for the Champions League from 2010/11 to 2014/15

- 250,000 EURO everytime the player reaches 35 appearancs, 70 appearances, 105 appeances and then 140 appearances.

- 1 million EURO the first time Liverpool either wins the Premier League or Champions League by 30 June 2014.

- 5% of any future transfer fee will be paid to Roma.

Premier League clubs on alert as Italian court considers terminating Antonio Cassano's Sampdoria contract

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 2:26 PM on 10th December 2010

Premier League clubs have been put on red alert after it was announced that Italy forward Antonio Cassano could become a free agent on Monday.

The Sampdoria striker's future will be decided at a second arbitration hearing after he was suspended by the club for verbally abusing owner Riccardo Garrone in late October and refusing to attend a dinner.

Colourful Cassano has a history of finding himself in hot water but many had believed he was settled in northern Italy.

article-1337511-0BC0F42C000005DC-610_468x341.jpg Uncertain future: Antonio Cassano could be allowed to leave Sampdoria for nothing next week

Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham have all shown and interest in the past but face competition from Serie A sides Juventus, Inter and Parma.

A first hearing on Friday failed to resolve the dispute, with Samp asking for his contract to be voided while Cassano's lawyers argued that the former Real Madrid man has been unfairly treated given he has apologised and wants to stay.

'Conciliation has been unsuccessful so a decision has to be made in arbitration. There will be another hearing on Monday after which I will announce the verdict,' arbitration chairman Paolo Giuggioli said.

article-1337511-0076CD5C00000258-774_468x328.jpg Chequered history: Controversy has followed Cassano around for much of his career

Giuggioli heard from witnesses including Samp players who saw the foul-mouthed outburst from 28-year-old Cassano, who missed Italy's friendly draw against Romaina last month because he was not playing for his club.

Media have questioned why Garrone is pursuing the action when he could sell his top player for a decent fee in January rather than allowing him to walk away for nothing.

article-1337511-0C63E9C9000005DC-186_306x423.jpg Had his way: Goran Pandev was allowed to leave Lazio on a free and join Inter

The case is the opposite of last season's Goran Pandev affair where the Macedonia captain took Lazio to arbitration having been dropped for asking for a transfer. The forward won the right to join Inter Milan on a free.

Italy's World Cup goalkeeper Federico Marchetti, who has not played a competitive game since the Azzurri's exit in South Africa in June, is taking Cagliari to arbitration after being dropped for the same reasons as Pandev. His second hearing is due before the end of the year.

The propensity for Serie A club presidents to drop players because of disagreements was a major reason why top-flight players were planning to strike for this weekend's matches before a deal with the league on Thursday averted the action.

Cassano has been linked in the media with Juventus and several other Serie A clubs but Inter president Massimo Moratti has said speculation the champions were interested was 'fantasy football' despite their lack of forward options.

Read more: Premier League clubs on alert as Italian court considers terminating Antonio Cassano's Sampdoria contract | Mail Online