You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hazard and Lukaku for me, to go either side of Nando. Those two would be pricey young players, but would perhaps represent less of a gamble than players in the £5-10M bracket. I think we need a couple of young players who are near enough to being sure things. They should be good enough to make the team stronger right now.

Obviously we need to build on all fronts, but I do think there is a pressing need in the first team right now.

Think I read somewhere that Lukaku had agreed to join Arsenal? Maybe it was only a rumour, but im certain I read that somewhere.

Think I read somewhere that Lukaku had agreed to join Arsenal? Maybe it was only a rumour, but im certain I read that somewhere.

He is going to join Chelsea or Real Madrid......no one else is going to pay over £17 million for a seventeen year old. They rejected a bid from spurs for 17.7 million.

This is Roy Hodgsons' footballing philosophy...

.............................Keeper

centre half...centre half...centre half...centre half

centre mid..centre mid..centre mid..centre mid..centre mid

.............................Godzilla

...and all from those bastions of subtle, footballing systems called England and Scandinavia.

Roys' January wishlist...

Damo, sort these for us laaaa...

Centre half

oh better make it two actually.

A midfield stopper.

and someone for the right wing. Possibly Makalele.

Get scouting Comolli.

hahahaha!

I wonder if anyone can remember the name of the left back we were being linked with during the summer - saw a couple of youtube clips (yeah, I know) and he looked dead exciting - loads of flair, long shots, free kicks etc. Sadly, I've lost so many brain cells over the years my memory is shot to pieces and I can't even recall the team he played for or his nationality. Any help would be appreciated - except the Alzheimer's help line number which I already have ... somewhere.

Konchesky??

OK, maybe not!

Fabio Coentrao probably.

I dont know how you are comparing Benitez's style to Hodgsons. Totally different.

One hoof it one hold it.

Get what you mean though i too found that comment a tad strange. Think Roy likes Hazard, according to reports hes been to watch him at least twice.

And my money is on Hazard being a Comolli type player.

Arsenal are confident of tying up a deal for PSV Eindhoven midfielder Ibrahim Afellay despite Real Madrid's late interest.

The 24-year-old Dutch international will be a free transfer in the summer after revealing he had no intention of signing a new deal with PSV last week and is able to sign a pre-contract agreement with foreign clubs in January.

The attacking midfielder has stated his preference for the Barclays Premier League and Liverpool are said to have held preliminary talks.

Boss Roy Hodgson watched him in action last weekend while Manchester United and Everton have also shown interest.

However, Arsenal have been admirers for some time and after making a £7.5m offer last summer, believe they can get their man for free.

article-0-0BEAC0D0000005DC-579_306x423.jpg

Read more: Arsenal in pole position to land PSV Eindhoven star Ibrahim Afellay | Mail Online

Are we assuming Roy won't be here then, because by his very own words "we don't play with wingers".

Arsenal don't play with wingers either, but the difference is that their 'wide' players can unlock defensives and provide creativity and guile which is something that we lack. If we had a Samir Nasri or an Arshavin on one flank and a Theo Walcott on the other, it would add a different dimension to our team.

Sly have us linked with moves for Cleo from Partizan Belgrade and Pavel Pogrebnyak from Stuttgart.

Cleo in dark over Liverpool talk

Cleo_2506727.jpg

Partizan Belgrade star Cleo admits he is in the dark about reports linking him with a move to Liverpool.

Reports have suggested the Reds are considering a move for the Brazilian striker as they bolster their attacking options in the January transfer window.

However, Cleo, who has scored against Arsenal in this season's Champions League, is not reading too much into the speculation.

"Liverpool? I heard something about this story... Well, I actually read about it on the internet," Cleo told Blic.

"But nobody has talked with me about this. But of course in football you never know what tomorrow will bring to you.

"Just two years ago I had a trial at Lens, but then I signed for Red Star Belgrade.

"Back then I was too costly for Lens, but now I'm at club, which plays in the Champions League. So you really never know what will happen.

"I don't want to think too much about my future.

"Who knows where would I be now, if I had signed for Lens."

Top Clubs eye Pogrebnyak

Werder-v-Stuttgart-Pavel-Pogrebnyak-celeb_2427740.jpg

Premier League giants Liverpool and Tottenham have reportedly joined the growing list of clubs interested in signing striker Pavel Pogrebnyak.

The Russia international joined Bundesliga outfit Stuttgart last year, scoring 11 times in 35 appearances for Die Roten and is contracted to the club until 2012.

However, head coach Fredi Bobic admits that he has known of the interest for the former Zenit St Petersburg forward for some time, but has no intention of letting the 26-year-old leave.

With Reds boss Roy Hodgson keen to strengthen his attacking options in the January window, Pogrebnyak would prove to be a key signing with injuries to Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt exposing a threadbare front-line in the past month.

Hodgson has reportedly been promised £30million from new owners NESV to spend in 2011 and the striker would command a fee in the region of £12million.

A move to Spurs, meanwhile, would see Pogrebnyak link up with his Russian team-mate Roman Pavlyuchenko.

Bobic told Bild newspaper: "I have been listening to rumours that Liverpool and Tottenham have their eyes on Pavel.

"It's a fact. However, none of these clubs have been talking to us about him lately. He is a player of VfB Stuttgart."

We have definitely been tracking Kerzhakov and Affelay. And I think we're still looking at Toivonen. God knows what wide players (if any) we are looking at. If we've been watching PSV games then Balázs Dzsudzsák can't have gone unnoticed; though I'm not sure that buying half of their team is necessarily our best road to success. We don't seem to be interested in N'Zogbia for some reason (probably the price). You would like to think that Mata and Turan are on the radar, but a lot depends on how much money we have to spend, which no one seems to have any idea about yet...

I wonder if anyone can remember the name of the left back we were being linked with during the summer - saw a couple of youtube clips (yeah, I know) and he looked dead exciting - loads of flair, long shots, free kicks etc. Sadly, I've lost so many brain cells over the years my memory is shot to pieces and I can't even recall the team he played for or his nationality. Any help would be appreciated - except the Alzheimer's help line number which I already have ... somewhere.

Taye Taiwo.