You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

£35mill for Carrol. Fucking sickening if it's true.

absolutely it's sickening, i forsee this being the biggest transfer flop in english history

think about it like this, in the long history of english football, this lad will be the second most expensive tranfer ever between two English clubs (after Torres) and the most expensive English player of all time

what has he done to deserve that?

we really are being taken to the cleaners

and to all the clueless types who say they don't care about the money and it's not their money etc etc, I have two answers to that

1) don't bitch and moan if ticket prices, merchandising prices go up etc as part of the fee is our money

2) the owners don't have blank cheques to write, we will have a rough transfer budget and if we allocate 35 million of it on carroll it means that money won't be spent elsewhere on better players

Edited by Nathanzx

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely it's sickening, i forsee this being the biggest transfer flop in english history

think about it like this, in the long history of english football, this lad will be the second most expensive tranfer ever between two English clubs (after Torres) and the most expensive English player of all time

and to all the clueless types who say they don't care about their money and it's not their money etc etc, I have two answers to that

1) don't bitch and moan if ticket prices, merchandising prices go up etc as part of the fee is our money

2) the owners don't have blank cheques to write, we will have a rough transfer budget and if we allocate 35 million of it on carroll it means that money won't be spent elsewhere on better players

I'm detecting that you're not a glass half full type, Mr Zx?

can't believe we missed out on Andy Reid. Thanks a lot FSG.

Carol is a great signing, the price is irrelevent once he is on the pitch. With Torres and Suarez, although they are both foreign and exotic sounding names, it would have been to easy to out muscle the pair of them, and the high ball would have been a non existant option. Nanado sulking and whinging to the ref, then pulling up with a hamstring, Suarez being quite slight of build too. All ok for home matches against west ham etc but not so good for stoke away. Carol could be the perfect foil, which is wh we are willing to pay over the odds. also once it is common knowledge you are about to pocket £50 mil you are expected to pay more.

Do you think this is Kenny or Comolli? If it's Kenny, surely he's going to be given a long term contract now? You cannot spend £60m on a strike force and bring in someone else to manage them.

Also where does this leave Comolli if transfers are being driven by the manager?

I'm genuinely staggered by this. On the one hand it's showing that the owners WILL invest. On the other it smacks of a potential disaster: a panic buy for a player with enormous off-the-field issues and half a season of decent football.

What about Lukaku for much less than that?

Who gives a flying wotsit what the fee is? The owners are backing King Kenny's judgement to the tune of £35m on Carroll. Didn't we want owners who would back the manager, and stop pissing about with Voronin-style free transfers? Well, that's what we've got. Stop whining.

I've said it elsewhere - Carroll is a very, very good footballer. He's a bit of a knobhead off the pitch, but he's young. If anyone can sort him out, Kenny can. On the pitch, how much will you enjoy seeing this guy steamroller Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry et al. He's a beast of a man. You'll love him before you know it.

The question is which winger are we going to suddenly sign to provide the crosses for Carroll.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Carroll is a good player, give us real aerial power.

And luckily he's not as quick as Torres, so he won't be 20 yards ahead of the labouring Maxi and Kuyt when they do finally wheeze their way down the wing to get the cross in.

Hate breaking this to you, but we are effectively swapping Torres for Carroll and some lunch money. Not sure many will be happy with that.

That's an expensive lunch, I suggest you try a dinner instead. We are swapping a quality player who couldn't be arsed for a good player who should improve with enough left over to buy another good player. I'll take that.

And luckily he's not as quick as Torres, so he won't be 20 yards ahead of the labouring Maxi and Kuyt when they do finally wheeze their way down the wing to get the cross in.

I take it you're not impressed. He's not that slow, look at Berbatov for example.

I've always been impressed by him, overpriced yet, but young good quality talent who will hopefully get better. Especially with better players around him.

and to all the clueless types who say they don't care about the money and it's not their money etc etc, I have two answers to that

What happens if he is amazing and scores a shit loads of goals?

Who gives a flying wotsit what the fee is? The owners are backing King Kenny's judgement to the tune of £35m on Carroll. Didn't we want owners who would back the manager, and stop pissing about with Voronin-style free transfers? Well, that's what we've got. Stop whining.

I've said it elsewhere - Carroll is a very, very good footballer. He's a bit of a knobhead off the pitch, but he's young. If anyone can sort him out, Kenny can. On the pitch, how much will you enjoy seeing this guy steamroller Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry et al. He's a beast of a man. You'll love him before you know it.

Correct.

Hes raped every defence ive seen him play against.

He will be impossible to handle, given the service.

Yeah, you wouldn't catch us offering absurd amounts of money for players who don't really want to move on deadline day.

That's fine and everything but you know i'm talking about leading up to today in the transfer window.

Because we haven't been trying to buy everyone in sight and also because our fans are by nature the most miserable bunch of quegs you will ever find, it has been taken for granted that we have no money and that when the owners said we had the resources (which they did) they were lying.