You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been posted:

Agent: Honda meetings confirmed

Author: Nigel Brown

Posted on:19 January 2011 - 12:13

Sport.co.uk can confirm that meetings have been scheduled with a number of top European clubs next week at the AFC Asian Cup in Qatar with representatives from the Premier League trio of Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa expected in the Gulf state.

The Japanese international scored his nations 1000th international goal in the2-1 win against Syria, with the archipelago set to play hosts Qatar in the Quarter Finals.

Liverpool are considered to the favourites to land Honda with Kenny Dalglish and Director of football Strategy Damien Comolli keen on the frontman, while Arsenal scouts and Aston Villa representatives are also present in Qatar with both club manager’s fans of the forward, although Arsene Wenger and Gerard Houllier could baulk at the price-tag of the forward. AC Milan have also been tracking Honda since the World Cup last summer.

The player’s representative confirmed to Sport.co.uk that meetings were scheduled for next week, where Honda’s future would be concluded.

“Several clubs have confirmed their interest.” Kees Pleogsma told Sport.co.uk.

“My son is going to Qatar tomorrow to have a number of meetings. But, we will have to wait and see who is seriously interested in Keisuke (Honda). You never know.

“Time is going fast in the window. I really hope something can happen, but I don’t know. As I said my son has a number of meetings, but so far nothing is concrete, we must wait and see.”

Honda has been considering his future at CSKA Moscow after it emerged in 2010 that the club were considering cashing in on either Alan Dzagoev or the Japanese international, with Honda angling for a move to Europe with Arsenal, Liverpool, and AC Milan the confirmed suitors following an impressive World Cup.

The 24-year-old CSKA Moscow striker has been subject of intense speculation since his successful World Cup campaign with Japan although thus far no formal bids have been launched, with only interest confirmed by a number of clubs. However the player’s future looks finally set to be decided by next week.

The Japanese international started his career at Gamba Osaka, the same club as former Arsenal player Junichi Inamoto, before moving onto Nagoya Grampus Eight, the club from whom Arsene Wenger joined the Gunners in 1996.

Agent: Honda meetings confirmed 19 January 2011 - 12:13 | Sport.co.uk

Not sure if this has been posted:

Agent: Honda meetings confirmed

Author: Nigel Brown

Posted on:19 January 2011 - 12:13

Sport.co.uk can confirm that meetings have been scheduled with a number of top European clubs next week at the AFC Asian Cup in Qatar with representatives from the Premier League trio of Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa expected in the Gulf state.

The Japanese international scored his nations 1000th international goal in the2-1 win against Syria, with the archipelago set to play hosts Qatar in the Quarter Finals.

Liverpool are considered to the favourites to land Honda with Kenny Dalglish and Director of football Strategy Damien Comolli keen on the frontman, while Arsenal scouts and Aston Villa representatives are also present in Qatar with both club manager’s fans of the forward, although Arsene Wenger and Gerard Houllier could baulk at the price-tag of the forward. AC Milan have also been tracking Honda since the World Cup last summer.

The player’s representative confirmed to Sport.co.uk that meetings were scheduled for next week, where Honda’s future would be concluded.

“Several clubs have confirmed their interest.” Kees Pleogsma told Sport.co.uk.

“My son is going to Qatar tomorrow to have a number of meetings. But, we will have to wait and see who is seriously interested in Keisuke (Honda). You never know.

“Time is going fast in the window. I really hope something can happen, but I don’t know. As I said my son has a number of meetings, but so far nothing is concrete, we must wait and see.”

Honda has been considering his future at CSKA Moscow after it emerged in 2010 that the club were considering cashing in on either Alan Dzagoev or the Japanese international, with Honda angling for a move to Europe with Arsenal, Liverpool, and AC Milan the confirmed suitors following an impressive World Cup.

The 24-year-old CSKA Moscow striker has been subject of intense speculation since his successful World Cup campaign with Japan although thus far no formal bids have been launched, with only interest confirmed by a number of clubs. However the player’s future looks finally set to be decided by next week.

The Japanese international started his career at Gamba Osaka, the same club as former Arsenal player Junichi Inamoto, before moving onto Nagoya Grampus Eight, the club from whom Arsene Wenger joined the Gunners in 1996.

Agent: Honda meetings confirmed 19 January 2011 - 12:13 | Sport.co.uk

CLIT ON A STICK! Dees NESV guys are the lymph node type of people I admire. This is getting better by the minute. Honda interest, Kenny is keen? Even Commoli fluttering his eyelids, with only Arsenal and Villa in our way? What next, a cure for AIDs? We will rip new arseholes and fracture fanny bones if we sign this man. How might that sound? To hear that happen week in/week out? His dick has 'long vehicle' tattood on the side. The fulcrum of a great team.

Liverpool refuse to be bullied over Suarez

Published 23:01 19/01/11 By David Maddock

Kenny Dalglish has been told for the first time by Liverpool's owners that he is strongly in the running to become the next permanent manager.

Speaking last night, Anfield chairman Tom Werner insisted he has been impressed by the stability Dalglish has brought since arrivng as temporary boss.

And the American owner agreed that the Reds legend has all the qualities he and partner John Henry are looking for when they make a long term managerial appointment in the summer.

"When we talked to Kenny, he agreed to take over until the end of the season - and we are certainly going to consider him as a candidate in the long term," Werner explained.

"He has many of the outstanding qualities we admire. He is obviously experienced and enormously competent, he certainly understands the club philosophy better than anyone, and he's excellent at man-management. We have been very pleased with the impact he has made.

"We felt it was important to stabilise the club's fortunes, and Kenny is a terrific stabiliser of the situation. He's done everything that we could have hoped for and more to raise the spirits of the fans, and the lift he has given to the club has been important."

Werner explained that the club's results eventually forced them to change manager, even though they were willing Roy Hodgson to succeed.

"Unfortunately, this is a results orientated business, and even though we still think Roy is an outstanding manager, he may not have been the right man for Liverpool at this time," he said.

"There comes a time in sport where you have to say: 'This is not the right fit'. We all take a certain responsibilty for some devastating results, and we just felt we needed to stabilise the situation.

"We have certanly not had Kenny forced on us in any way, we were aware of the fans' point of view but we we're going to be guided by them.

"With regards to Kenny, it is so far so great. We're pleased and very impressed with him, but nobody is thinking about next season, we are thinking day to day."

Werner was at pains to urge patience from the fans, even though they are desperate to see some signings to transform the club's fortunes.

The chairman admitted he needed no reminding of the "precarious" position the team is in, just four points above the drop, and explained that they are working hard to bring in new faces.

However, Liverpool are refusing to be bullied in the transfer market.

Talks resumed last night over a deal to bring Ajax striker Luis Suarez to Anfield, and both sides negotiated hard over a price.

The Dutch side's manager, Frank De Boer, insisted he will only do business if "an absurd amount is on the table", but Werner is still hopeful a compromise will allow the transfer to proceed.

That absurd amount is thought to be around £28million, but Liverpool believe the deal could be pushed through - after fresh talks late into last night - for around half that.

They could reduce it further by throwing Ryan Babel into the mix at a valuation of around £6million, though the deal is not dependent on that exchange.

Liverpool are confident they will reach an agreement and it could even go through as early as today, but Werner was at pains to point out that even though they want to make a signing, the club won't be foolish.

"We're hard at work and our intention is to improve the club short-term," he said. "We do have targets - we hope to announce something but we are going to be driven by long-term decisions.

"It's very important for us to strengthen the club, not just this season but next season. I think our supporters understand that if we can move forward and be better, not just this week but next week and the week after, then that's more important than any short-term decision."

The same applies to two other targets, Ashley Young and Lassana Diarra.

Aston Villa have said they do not want to sell Young, and again will only consider a deal if the fee is in the the region of what they paid for Darren Bent, and the Reds won't pay that.

Liverpool also see Diarra as a cut-price target, but his boss at Real Madrid Jos Mourinho said yesterday that he wants to keep the former Chelsea midfielder until the end of the season... unless he receives an outstanding offer.

The Reds will sign only one of the two players, and it'll be the first one who comes at what they see as a reasonable price.

If they do complete a deal for Suarez, however, Liverpool will still try to take their former player Stephen Warnock back from Villa on loan and will also press hard to persuade Southampton's teenage sensation - and Liverpool fan - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to join in a deal worth £10million, despite stiff competition from Arsenal and Manchester City.

Wasn't it the mail that said he was a chelsea fan?

@JimBoardman

Times reports #LFC's Damien Comolli has been tracking St Etienne's Def-Mid Blaise Matuidi, with Arsenal also interested.

Never seen him play. Interesting article on him from an Arsenal site, after they were linked with him in 09:

Who is Blaise Matuidi? at Gunnerblog

Who is Blaise Matuidi?

With Fiorentina leaking news of our bid for Brazilian Felipe Melo, it’s clear Arsene is in the market for a holding midfielder. After our difficulties in that area last season, that news comes as a real relief: I had begun to be concerned that the form of Alex Song towards the end of the season would convince Le Boss that he didn’t need to enter the market for a midfielder.

However, the pursuit of Melo was doomed to fail: it seems both the player and his club used us as a pawn to crystallise interest from Juventus, and a huge fee of €21m will soon see Melo in The Old Lady’s lascivious clutches.

As soon as that deal was dead, stories resurfaced about Saint-Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi. We had been linked with Matuidi for much of last summer, and as late as deadline day I fancied a deal to go through. As it happened, a deal didn’t materialise as we spent the final day of the window locked in talks to try and secure the signature of Xabi Alonso.

If the Matuidi and Saint-Etienne’s president are to be believed, Arsene’s interest in the player is long-standing. Perhaps we oughtn’t be surprised: in many ways Matuidi is the archetypal Wenger signing.

Blaise Matuidi in action for Saint-Etienne

Matuidi is just 22 years of age, and won’t turn 23 until long into next season. He is of African descent (his parents are Angolan), and has spent his formative years in France’s Ligue 1 (first with Troyes, and latterly Saint-Etienne). In typical Gunnerblogian fashion, I have spent the weekend trawling several French forums and the impression I have gained of Matuidi is that what he lacks in height (he is just 5′ 9″) he makes up for in athleticism. His acceleration to loose balls is a noted strength, and his left-footed passing would provide a neat compliment to our existing options in central midfield.

Whilst Melo was certainly comparable to former Arsenal man Gilberto Silva, Matuidi appears to have far more in common with Lassana Diarra. Like Diarra before him, he is a France U-21 International and is soon expected to graduate to the senior set-up.

Recent reports in the English press have seen his price quoted at around £2.5m. I can tell you now that even though Matuidi has made his desire to leave very clear, those numbers are way wide of the mark. Most Saint-Etienne fans refuse to countenance a sale of the player L’Equipe voted their best last season for any less than €12m (about £10m). If Matuidi is to come to England, I’d venture that it won’t be for less than the £7m we paid Auxerre for Bacary Sagna.

@JimBoardman

Times reports #LFC's Damien Comolli has been tracking St Etienne's Def-Mid Blaise Matuidi, with Arsenal also interested.

Never seen him play. Interesting article on him from an Arsenal site, after they were linked with him in 09:

Who is Blaise Matuidi? at Gunnerblog

Who is Blaise Matuidi?

With Fiorentina leaking news of our bid for Brazilian Felipe Melo, it’s clear Arsene is in the market for a holding midfielder. After our difficulties in that area last season, that news comes as a real relief: I had begun to be concerned that the form of Alex Song towards the end of the season would convince Le Boss that he didn’t need to enter the market for a midfielder.

However, the pursuit of Melo was doomed to fail: it seems both the player and his club used us as a pawn to crystallise interest from Juventus, and a huge fee of €21m will soon see Melo in The Old Lady’s lascivious clutches.

As soon as that deal was dead, stories resurfaced about Saint-Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi. We had been linked with Matuidi for much of last summer, and as late as deadline day I fancied a deal to go through. As it happened, a deal didn’t materialise as we spent the final day of the window locked in talks to try and secure the signature of Xabi Alonso.

If the Matuidi and Saint-Etienne’s president are to be believed, Arsene’s interest in the player is long-standing. Perhaps we oughtn’t be surprised: in many ways Matuidi is the archetypal Wenger signing.

Blaise Matuidi in action for Saint-Etienne

Matuidi is just 22 years of age, and won’t turn 23 until long into next season. He is of African descent (his parents are Angolan), and has spent his formative years in France’s Ligue 1 (first with Troyes, and latterly Saint-Etienne). In typical Gunnerblogian fashion, I have spent the weekend trawling several French forums and the impression I have gained of Matuidi is that what he lacks in height (he is just 5′ 9″) he makes up for in athleticism. His acceleration to loose balls is a noted strength, and his left-footed passing would provide a neat compliment to our existing options in central midfield.

Whilst Melo was certainly comparable to former Arsenal man Gilberto Silva, Matuidi appears to have far more in common with Lassana Diarra. Like Diarra before him, he is a France U-21 International and is soon expected to graduate to the senior set-up.

Recent reports in the English press have seen his price quoted at around £2.5m. I can tell you now that even though Matuidi has made his desire to leave very clear, those numbers are way wide of the mark. Most Saint-Etienne fans refuse to countenance a sale of the player L’Equipe voted their best last season for any less than €12m (about £10m). If Matuidi is to come to England, I’d venture that it won’t be for less than the £7m we paid Auxerre for Bacary Sagna.

Those of you who have seen Matuidi play, would you be happy with him as a DM?

As good as a Lassana Diarra?

All the talk of M'vila has died down. Is he not the better option in terms of age, pace, distribution ability and strength? He's not a small lad either.

He looked very impressive for France against England at Wembley. Physically very imposing but also comfortable when in possession. I think Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have also been linked with him.

All the talk of M'vila has died down. Is he not the better option in terms of age, pace, distribution ability and strength? He's not a small lad either.

He'll be expensive.

I'm seriously worried that we're not going to get more height into our squad. Xabi Alonso was a big hard bastard, who defended set pieces well, and we've been more vulnerable since he left.

Lucas is short, and Lassana (5'7"?) is shorter than Lucas (and Masch, believe it or not).

We've also got to get a better, tall, CB than Skrtel. He's just shit now.

This is a great shame.

Suaraez would be great, and I'd be incredibly pleased with that expression of intent from FSG, but the need for a hard bastard presence in CM to complement Ming and Gerrard is so horribly obvious.

We MUST buy one and finally consign Lucas and Pulsen to the dustbin of LFC history we'd rather forget.

He'll be expensive.

I'm seriously worried that we're not going to get more height into our squad. Xabi Alonso was a big hard bastard, who defended set pieces well, and we've been more vulnerable since he left.

Lucas is short, and Lassana (5'7"?) is shorter than Lucas (and Masch, believe it or not).

We've also got to get a better, tall, CB than Skrtel. He's just shit now.

Lucas is only a bit shorter than M'vila and he makes up for this with being, dare I say it, brilliant in the air. If we can get a better presence in midfield we could take the pressure off the back four (read Skrtel here) and move up the pitch 10 -15 yards regularly. Lass is a good player but he aint no beast and I think M'vila is already a better bet.