You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool transfer news: Reds plot double January swoop for Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Aston Villa's Ashley young - whether Roy Hodgson stays or not - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Liverpool’s new American owners are ready to bankroll bids for Stoke City’s Ryan Shawcross and Aston Villa’s Ashley Young – whether Roy Hodgson stays or not.

Top talent-spotter Damien Comolli will be in charge of Liverpool signings this month as the Kop chiefs draw up their plans regardless of Hodgson’s future at the club.

Comolli has lined up a bid for Young, fighting Manchester United in the £15million race, while he and Hodgson watched centre-half Shawcross in action last week. But United could also mess up that deal – they have the first option on Shawcross, a former reserve at Old Trafford.

The Anfield regime are looking to invest in the best young British players. Top target is England Under-21 striker Daniel Sturridge, who has told Chelsea he wants to go to Liverpool on loan after making just two league starts in two seasons at Stamford Bridge

Anfield chairman Tom Werner and supremo John Henry believe the best way forward is to land rising stars, a policy that was begun when Kenny Dalglish took a hand to recruit Raheem Sterling from QPR and Charlton’s Jonjo Shelvey.

The review of Liverpool’s spending tactics under Rafa Benitez proved to the Kop chiefs that they had to get back to the ‘old’ Anfield ways of finding domestic talent and bringing them through.

Young’s camp know that Liverpool want him even if Hodgson goes so that deal could go through despite any possible managerial upheaval in the next few weeks.

Brazilian Lucas Leiva is being offered a surprise escape route from Liverpool by Spanish side Villarreal.

The La Liga outfit have lost playmaker Marcos Senna for 10 weeks to a thigh injury and have contacted the Reds about a potential £4m transfer.

Lucas joined from Gremio in July 2007 for £12.7m and struggled to make an impression, although his form has improved and Villarreal have been watching his progress.

They have now decided he is the sort of player they are seeking to help them cope with Senna’s absence.

Read more: Liverpool transfer news: Reds plot double January swoop for Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Aston Villa's Ashley young - whether Roy Hodgson stays or not - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

FIFA block Paul Konchesky's Liverpool exit - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Liverpool scapegoat Paul Konchesky will be stuck at Anfield for the rest of the season – thanks to FIFA red tape.

West Ham have asked about taking the left-back on loan after being knocked back in a similar bid for Manchester City’s Wayne Bridge.

But Konchesky, 29, is not allowed to play for any other club this season after making a solitary appearance for Fulham before his August switch to Anfield.

And world football’s governing body will not allow any player to register with three different clubs in the same season.

817-grey.gif

Konchesky’s substitution was cheered by Liverpool fans during the 1-0 defeat by Wolves and his standing was not helped by derogatory comments about Liverpool made by his mum on Facebook.

Boss Roy Hodgson, who managed Konchesky at Fulham, has always stood by the full-back but his own position is looking increasingly precarious.

The player is determined to fight on and win over the Kop, especially knowing there is no prospect of a quick exit.

The Hammers are still keen to take Bridge on loan but City’s insistence that they must cough up more than £100,000 a week in wages and bonuses have thrown a spanner in the works.

Meanwhile, Millwall could pocket as much as £1million from Liverpool for teenage goalkeeper Yusuf Mersin.

The 16-year-old, who has represented Turkey at under-17 level, is moving to Anfield for an initial £450,000. But add-ons could eventually land the Lions a seven-figure sum.

Read more: FIFA block Paul Konchesky's Liverpool exit - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Liverpool transfer news: Reds plot double January swoop for Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Aston Villa's Ashley young - whether Roy Hodgson stays or not - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Liverpool’s new American owners are ready to bankroll bids for Stoke City’s Ryan Shawcross and Aston Villa’s Ashley Young – whether Roy Hodgson stays or not.

Top talent-spotter Damien Comolli will be in charge of Liverpool signings this month as the Kop chiefs draw up their plans regardless of Hodgson’s future at the club.

Comolli has lined up a bid for Young, fighting Manchester United in the £15million race, while he and Hodgson watched centre-half Shawcross in action last week. But United could also mess up that deal – they have the first option on Shawcross, a former reserve at Old Trafford.

The Anfield regime are looking to invest in the best young British players. Top target is England Under-21 striker Daniel Sturridge, who has told Chelsea he wants to go to Liverpool on loan after making just two league starts in two seasons at Stamford Bridge

Anfield chairman Tom Werner and supremo John Henry believe the best way forward is to land rising stars, a policy that was begun when Kenny Dalglish took a hand to recruit Raheem Sterling from QPR and Charlton’s Jonjo Shelvey.

The review of Liverpool’s spending tactics under Rafa Benitez proved to the Kop chiefs that they had to get back to the ‘old’ Anfield ways of finding domestic talent and bringing them through.

Young’s camp know that Liverpool want him even if Hodgson goes so that deal could go through despite any possible managerial upheaval in the next few weeks.

Brazilian Lucas Leiva is being offered a surprise escape route from Liverpool by Spanish side Villarreal.

The La Liga outfit have lost playmaker Marcos Senna for 10 weeks to a thigh injury and have contacted the Reds about a potential £4m transfer.

Lucas joined from Gremio in July 2007 for £12.7m and struggled to make an impression, although his form has improved and Villarreal have been watching his progress.

They have now decided he is the sort of player they are seeking to help them cope with Senna’s absence.

Read more: Liverpool transfer news: Reds plot double January swoop for Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Aston Villa's Ashley young - whether Roy Hodgson stays or not - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Drives me mad when journos can not research the simplest of facts.

Reina insisted: “I’m tired of rumours linking me with many teams in England and abroad.

“I am a man of my word and commitment. I will honour my contract with Liverpool.

“Stories of these offers are not true. I have not spoken to anyone – ever – and I am 100 per cent a Liverpool player.”

Reina is desperate to return to winning ways at Anfield.

He added: “Since I’ve been here I’ve found an incredible passion, more than I thought from Spain.

“Liverpool as a club is sacred, it is something special.

“Being Liverpool’s goalkeeper is a privilege. For now I just want to win trophies for them.”

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Liverpool No1 Pepe Reina: I’m not going anywhere

But Konchesky, 29, is not allowed to play for any other club this season after making a solitary appearance for Fulham before his August switch to Anfield.

And world football’s governing body will not allow any player to register with three different clubs in the same season.

Does a loan deal mean a change of registration though? I always thought that any player we loan out, we still hold their registration.

Sincerely hope that all of that is inaccurate - except Shawcross, I'd give him a chance. But 15 million for Young? 4 million for Lucas? And since when was the latter signed for 12.7 mill.

Better be bullshit.

Does a loan deal mean a change of registration though? I always thought that any player we loan out, we still hold their registration.

You could be right. Mascherano joined us on loan a few seasons ago and we became his 3rd club that season so I don't see this being a problem unless UEFA/Fifa have moved the goalposts.

Sincerely hope that all of that is inaccurate - except Shawcross, I'd give him a chance. But 15 million for Young? 4 million for Lucas? And since when was the latter signed for 12.7 mill.

Better be bullshit.

The article is written by Alan Nixon so it probably is bullshit.

Reina insisted: “I’m tired of rumours linking me with many teams in England and abroad.

“I am a man of my word and commitment. I will honour my contract with Liverpool.

“Stories of these offers are not true. I have not spoken to anyone – ever – and I am 100 per cent a Liverpool player.”

He added: “Since I’ve been here I’ve found an incredible passion, more than I thought from Spain.

“Being Liverpool’s goalkeeper is a privilege. For now I just want to win trophies for them.”

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Liverpool No1 Pepe Reina: I’m not going anywhere

What about making him Player Manager the only true legend at the club

Best statement i've heard in ages. sorry, i've had a few drinks but WE are fucking Liverpool and pepe agrees

Fuck me thats the funniest thing ive read in ages.

I tell you what that bad man Benitez spent £45 million on Aquilani, its true honest.

Joke Journo.

You could be right. Mascherano joined us on loan a few seasons ago and we became his 3rd club that season so I don't see this being a problem unless UEFA/Fifa have moved the goalposts.

Mascherano played for Corinthians before joinging West Ham, and their seasons do not echo those of European Leagues, so whilst he played for 3 clubs in what to us would be 1 season, it was in fact 3 clubs in 2 seasons by FIFA regulations, hence the loan deal was given the go ahead.

The following article from the Guardian back in 2007 explains the deal somewhat better than I perhaps have done.

Liverpool Cleared to Sign Mascherano

Konchesky cannot play for another side during the remainder of this season. The goalposts have not been shifted, we just took advantage of the difference of seasons between 2 continental bodies.

there was a loophole with Mascher... something about being registered but not having played with either West Ham or the team before...

Edit: What he said above....

Comolli and Hodgson at the Wigan/Newcastle game.

Looking at Rodallega I'm sure, gutted, I don't want him anywhere near us. (shame N'Zogbia isn't playing)

Why you think Rodallega?

Like you said, wouldn't want him.

Andy Carroll? Cost a bomb, but fits the criteria FSG have set