You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I hope he does is set up a feeder club in the Championship or league 1, the reserve set up in England is a joke, squads are massive and theres 20 games or so to fit 30 or so players into, this is a must for a club of our size.

spot on that,The reserve league should be fucked off and have a "B" team like spain,playing in lower leagues then have a u19's league.it would bring the younger kids on more to play regular competative football

and because his track record in the transfer market is a bit like Rafa's......

To be fair to all involved in transfers though; pretty much everyone have the same success-rate, and I don't think I am far off if I say that 1/3 is crap, 1/3 is average and 1/3 is good or excellent. The important thing is to have the top 1/3 as good as possible, having a Bale, Van der Vaart, Berbatov, Torres, Reina, Mascherano, Ronaldo or Fabregas in there. The more of that kind of success, the less the other two brackets of players matters.

I guess I'm a bit undecided on this one. If he is working in the background as a sort of head scout with the added ability/responsibility of physically getting the deals done (transfers agreed, contracts signed etc.), then that's no bad thing, providing the manager has the final say in who comes and goes. It tends to be his neck on the line (rightly) when things are going badly, but for me accountability and control should go hand in hand.

And if you decide instead to blame poor signings on the DoF and sack him to bring another one in...well that's the continuity argument blown out of the water.

If you're worried about the manager wasting money on players, then you've hired (or kept) the wrong bloke.

If a component in a machine is broken or defective you should replace it, not weld in a brace to mask its deficiencies for a while.

Then again if there is an outstanding manager/coach in the frame who has no interest in working the transfer market and/or knows his limitations in this area, and would actually prefer to work with a DoF, I wouldn't want to cut off our nose to spite our faces and say "no, never" to a DoF being appointed.

I guess in a nutshell my view is that any DoF-style appointment should be at the behest of the manager, not the other way around.

Well least the media now have someone else apart from Rafa to pin Roys failings on...it's started already...Henry Winter suprise : "#LFC need a chief scout with global connections so there's a role for Comolli. As long as he keeps out of Hodgson's way."

One thing that definitely needs to be done as has already been stated by other posters and hopefully has been done as the appointment has already been made is the roles of each person being clearly defined.

Well least the media now have someone else apart from Rafa to pin Roys failings on...it's started already...Henry Winter suprise : "#LFC need a chief scout with global connections so there's a role for Comolli. As long as he keeps out of Hodgson's way."

One thing that definitely needs to be done as has already been stated by other posters and hopefully has been done as the appointment has already been made is the roles of each person being clearly defined.

"Damien, your job is to help the manager with signings. Roy, your job is to wait till we hire a manager..."

Below is the list of players signed byDamien Comolli believed to have cost Tottenham over £1m, starting with the most recent…

1. Vedran Corluka, Manchester City, £8.5m

2. Roman Pavlyuchenko, Spartak Moscow, £14m

3. Cesar Sanchez, Real Zaragoza, Undisclosed

4. David Bentley, Blackburn Rovers, £15m-17m

5. Heurelho Gomes, PSV Eindhoven, £9m

6. Giovani dos Santos, Barcelona, £4.7m

7. Luka Modric, Dinamo Zagreb, £15.8m

8. Gilberto, Hertha Berlin £1.9m

9. Alan Hutton, Glasgow Rangers, £8m

10. Jonathan Woodgate, Middlesbrough, £7.5m

11. Chris Gunter, Cardiff City, £2m

12. Kevin-Prince Boateng, Hertha Berlin, £5.2m

13. Danny Rose, Leeds United, Undisclosed

14. Younes Kaboul, Auxerre, £8.2m

15. Darren Bent, Charlton Athletic, £16.5m

16. Adel Taarabt, RC Lens, Undisclosed

17. Gareth Bale, Southampton, £5m – £10m

18. Ben Alnwick, Sunderland, Undisclosed

19. Ricardo Rocha, Benfica, £3,5m

20. Mido, AS Roma, £4m

21. Pascal Chimbonda, Wigan Athletic, £4m

22. Steed Malbranque, Fulham, £3.5m

23. Didier Zokora, St Etienne, £6.5m

24. Benoit Assou-Ekotto, RC Lens, £3.5m

25. Dimitar Berbatov, Bayer Leverkusen, £10.9m

26. Hossam Ghaly, Feyernoord, Undisclosed

27. Danny Murphy, Charlton, £2m

They're the signings i consider to be pretty poor. I could add Woodgate, Kaboul, Boateng and Assou-Ekotto if i'm being harsh.

Being better than Konchesky or Poulsen doesn't mean they are good signings.

They're the signings i consider to be pretty poor. I could add Woodgate, Kaboul, Boateng and Assou-Ekotto if i'm being harsh.

Being better than Konchesky or Poulsen doesn't mean they are good signings.

Gomez in fairness after a shaky start has been very consistent, Woodgate is a disaster cant believe given his injuries anybody bought him hence why I want Agger out, your been very harsh with the other 3, and Hutton(good player IMO but about £5m max) and Pavlechenco who is a decent striker who'd i gladly have at LFC

This is exactly what I am worried about in the post above yours - if Comolli becomes another scapegoat to add to Rafa, the Northampton 'B' team, etc. to deflect blame from the manager then the appointment will be totally counterproductive. The only way I can see this being positive to be honest is if a prospective manager has been approached and he has unequivocally said "I want to focus on training and match day preparation and I need to have someone alongside me to oversee transfers", then I will be all for it.

Its the British way and it works more than it doesnt hence DOF's being so unpopular

We are Liverpool not Sevilla.

That has been a big part of our problem off the field for years to be fair. We are this and we wont change. We need to change, big time.

I think having someone above the manager working with them to bring in the right players and maybe challenging them on decisions on players, epsecially if you look at some of our signings over the past 12 years, and considering Roy brought in 3 shite players out of 4 and he thought Van Der Vaart was not of the profile we are looking for, it makes sense.

Yes managers should live and die by their decisions, however the nature of the game is now about results, and the manager needs all the time he gets to focus on getting the results that will beneift the team long term.

Both Camolli and Roy or whoever is the manager in the future if it is not to be Roy (which I would like, but accept it may be longer than I wish for) they need to work together to identify targets that will fit into the team and future of this club.

I hope there is no big upheavel of the Academy, as I feel that it is in a better position now than it was say 3 years ago, some good and upcoming youngsters coming through who I believe are good enough to make the grade. Plus the Academy has taken the biggest brunt of everything over teh past feew years too, and it needs to have a long period of sustained development.

Gomez in fairness after a shaky start has been very consistent, Woodgate is a disaster cant believe given his injuries anybody bought him hence why I want Agger out, your been very harsh with the other 3, and Hutton(good player IMO but about £5m max) and Pavlechenco who is a decent striker who'd i gladly have at LFC

I wouldn't want Liverpool to pay any of the prices that Spurs paid for them players.

I don't rate Ekotto either.