You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And Zonal Marking will never work and squad rotation is not the English Way. Rafa was slated for the zonal but in the last few weeks we have seen Liverpool and Everton backlines linking hands at corners to hold the zonal line together and not a peep out of our beloved commentators who so ripped into the person who tried to teach us the system first.

They can fuck off if we end up with joint managers again though. :whistle:

They also never mention the fact that the last 2 sides to win the european cup also used zonal. Another things thats pissed me off recently is andy gray claiming every goal we score when stevie is in centre mid is because stevie is in centre mid. He was banging on about it before blackpool v west brom. Said the goal came because gerrard is in his best position. Utter bollocks. He wasn't involved at all. A cunt of the highest order.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard's position is still open to debate and so it should be and it always will be such is the level of ability he posses'.

While not being the most subtle or having the most guile when it comes to playing off the striker, his straightforward no nonsense approach coupled with his intensity and skill made it work.

A player of his "jack of all trades, master of most" ability though for me (and I hate to agree with Gray) is better suited to the centre of midfield, the problem however is who plays in that midfield with him and who plays off Torres, be it a support striker or an attacking midfielder.

Statistically his best season for us was "on the right" but he wasn't "on the right" he was given a free role and allowed to drift in as Kuyt does, given he is such a better player he got the same opportunities but did more with them.

So really wherever Gerrard's best position is, it's all down to how well suited the players are around him and the role he's asked to play due to it, so it's not just a question of saying x, y or z.

It has to be a good move. Hodgson has already fallen short in the quality and value he has brought in - OK - he was working with little time and less money. But Poulsen and Konchesky can't be described as good business. Neither can the deal with Juve for Aquilani!

I don't expect an imminent change, but my guess is that Comolli will be part of the group that pick's Hidgson's successor.

Gerrard's position is still open to debate and so it should be and it always will be such is the level of ability he posses'.

While not being the most subtle or having the most guile when it comes to playing off the striker, his straightforward no nonsense approach coupled with his intensity and skill made it work.

A player of his "jack of all trades, master of most" ability though for me (and I hate to agree with Gray) is better suited to the centre of midfield, the problem however is who plays in that midfield with him and who plays off Torres, be it a support striker or an attacking midfielder.

Statistically his best season for us was "on the right" but he wasn't "on the right" he was given a free role and allowed to drift in as Kuyt does, given he is such a better player he got the same opportunities but did more with them.

So really wherever Gerrard's best position is, it's all down to how well suited the players are around him and the role he's asked to play due to it, so it's not just a question of saying x, y or z.

I'm not sure you understand my point. The point is not what gerrards best position is and whether or not you agree with gray. The point is that gray has an agenda (like the rest of the fuckwits in the english sporting media) and will interpret absolutely anything that happens as evidence supporting his point of view. Hence, 'liverpool scored that goal because gerrard is in his best position'. He also made another ridiculous point about gerrard being in the penalty area because he was playing centre mid. Utter nonsense. The fact is that gerrard is world class and can play in any position and where he plays is dictated by how good the other centre midfielders/support strikers are. I'm waiting for gray to tell us all that directors of football don't work in this country.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson insists he calls the shots as club appoints former Tottenham chief Damien Comolli

Roy Hodgson welcomed the appointment of Damien Comolli as director of football at Liverpool on Wednesday but insisted he would have the final say in any dispute over transfer targets.

Although credited with signing Gareth Bale and Dimitar Berbatov when he filled the same role at Tottenham, Comolli frequently found himself at odds with managers Martin Jol and Juande Ramos over transfers, with Kevin-Prince Boateng admitting there had been conflict over his move from Hertha Berlin.

Within days of arriving at White Hart Lane, Boateng was taken aside by Jol and warned he would struggle to get in the team because ‘I didn’t sign you’.

Hodgson played down suggestions that Comolli may have overstepped the mark but pointedly added: ‘That will not happen here.’

Comolli played a key role in signing Thierry Henry, Robin van Persie, Kolo Toure, Robert Pires and Emmanuel Eboue in his seven years as Arsenal’s chief European scout.

Hodgson insisted he is looking forward to working with Comolli, explaining that the era of ‘dictatorial’ managers was over.

‘It is asking an awful lot of one person to organise everything that needs doing at a Premier League club,’ he said. ‘The days of a dictatorial manager, where everything went through one man and no-one dared buy a paper clip without his approval, have long gone.

This is a strategy that makes a lot of sense, particularly for a club in transition, and it is one the owners can identify with, because it is based on the American model, not the archetypal and outdated English one.

‘It is commonplace across Europe as well, and I have plenty of experience of it from my time at Inter Milan, where I worked with Sandro Mazzola and then Giacinto Facchetti, with whom I had a close and important relationship.

‘As far as I know, there’s never been a sporting director who had a large input on team selection and who plays, but there are obviously discussions about transfers. At Fulham, we discussed potential signings carefully before decisions were made. I had the final say, and there is no reason for me to think it will be any different here now.

‘I can’t comment on what might have happened at Tottenham, but I would be surprised if managers coaches of the class of Martin Jol and Juande Ramos just took players on someone else’s recommendation. I don’t know about that, but it won’t happen here.

‘Damien and I have known each other a long time, so I don’t see any problems in that respect.’

As Hodgson prepared for Thursday's Europa League meeting with Napoli, he offered an olive branch to Rafa Benitez after incurring the wrath of the Inter Milan coach with remarks about the problems he inherited from his Anfield predecessor.

‘If I have upset him by saying something - I certainly didn’t mean to be in any way critical or negative about his work at the club - then I would happily apologise,’ he said.

‘There was never any intention to do that.’

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson insists he calls the shots as club appoints former Tottenham chief Damien Comolli | Mail Online

I feel much better reading that. I hope those comments by Hodgson about having the final say on transfers are true. He seems confident.

‘If I have upset him by saying something - I certainly didn’t mean to be in any way critical or negative about his work at the club - then I would happily apologise,’ he said.

‘There was never any intention to do that.’

that's like saying sorry for shooting you, i didn't think the bullet would hurt. or translated in to non-bullshit - i've just had a rocket up my arse from my bosses and been told to shut the fuck up and stop making a complete tit of myself.

Why not just hire a good manager who can do both?

I despise the thought of someone buying players for Liverpool and passing them down to the manager.

For the long time continuity. This means that a change of manager wont totally alter the squad. so when a coach comes in it is more for the tactics and strategy, rather than spending 18 months to put "their stamp" on the squad. The communication is vastly important though, between Comolli and the manager as they need to agree on the type of players, and probably also on the type of football they represent.

For the long time continuity. This means that a change of manager wont totally alter the squad. so when a coach comes in it is more for the tactics and strategy, rather than spending 18 months to put "their stamp" on the squad. The communication is vastly important though, between Comolli and the manager as they need to agree on the type of players, and probably also on the type of football they represent.

Probably also because the NESV guys don't really understand football. So they appoint this dude who was Arsenal's head European scout when they used to win stuff, and bought a lot of Spurs' team which is doing well at the minute. Plus he's mates with a baseball guy.

He has the vision they like, he is the football strategy man.

Comolli I'm sure will now be charged with advising on the scouting network, the youth setup and the manager.

Can't think of single example where a director of football has been successful, unless they are are a former club legend e.g. Bobby Charlton

The manager's nose is always going to be out of joint, whoever he may.

Personally I hope this is a pure 'scouting' and youth development role, as even if Roy ends up leaving eventually, this kind of structure may put off future candidates

Something is so not right and Purslow has got a lot to answer for. It's gone right to the core of the club.

The essence of it has been well and truly fucked. I get more disillusioned with it all each day.

It's just not the same anymore.

Can't think of single example where a director of football has been successful, unless they are are a former club legend e.g. Bobby Charlton

The manager's nose is always going to be out of joint, whoever he may.

Personally I hope this is a pure 'scouting' and youth development role, as even if Roy ends up leaving eventually, this kind of structure may put off future candidates

barca, real madrid, bayern, inter, ac milan and chelsea.

A lot of the marquee signings they made in the past seemed to come from Abramovich and I don't see a plethora of talented young players coming challenging for the first team

They have some talented youngsters but because we don't follow Chelsea we do not know much about them.

Im sure if you asked a non Liverpool fan about Suso, Sterling or Silva they probably will not have heard of them either.

Kakuta (sp) is an exciting youngster who i can remember from the tournament over the summer and im sure if you really wanted to you could saerch on the Chelsea forums and find many more.

A lot of the marquee signings they made in the past seemed to come from Abramovich and I don't see a plethora of talented young players coming challenging for the first team

Keep digging and eventually you WILL get out of that hole! I suppose it wouldn't be good timing for me to mention sturridge, mceachran and kakuta who all played for them last night?