You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John W Henry quashes transfer departures

Reacher

My point is, the owners say were not selling players it's used as a stick to bash the current manager with, as if implying he can't say it himself, it was regurly quoted under previous manager and Rafa wasn't bashed with it and rightly so.

Every quote by hodgson or now it seems Henry is been twisted, like I said there's media as we speak no doubt trying to twist Henrys comments

My point is, the owners say were not selling players it's used as a stick to bash the current manager with, as if implying he can't say it himself, it was regurly quoted under previous manager and Rafa wasn't bashed with it and rightly so.

Every quote by hodgson or now it seems Henry is been twisted, like I said there's media as we speak no doubt trying to twist Henrys comments

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said, lets hope the new ownership can carry themselves in a much more dignified manner and trustworthy way than the last regime. Although I guess it will take a few years to see if they have delivered.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said, lets hope the new ownership can carry themselves in a much more dignified manner and trustworthy way than the last regime. Although I guess it will take a few years to see if they have delivered.

Hopefully we can just get back to been fans not parttime accountants and lawyers

Yeah of course, I can remember Purslow, Broughton Hicks and Gillete all saying we weren't selling our top players under Rafa, tell me did you say the same then?

IMO the owners have been forced to reassure the fans that top players will not be sold because when asked direct questions the manager has refused to rule it out. Maybe that is because Roy is prepared to let some top players go.

Situation with Rafa was different when asked questions about Torres I remember him saying HE did not want to sell him. I would imagine Rafa had no fucking idea whether or not the top players would be sold or not. I would imagine Roy does

There's a big difference in selling players and players wanting to be sold. I don't think anyone was worried about players being sold (the way we were under the previous owners and the money going to pay for interest instead of new talent). I don't trust the current manager to buy any decent talent let alone use money from a big player's sale (one who wants out) to bring in a talent of equal value.

"Opportunities and value will drive spending in January and in the future.

So if the right player is available and at the right price, we'll sign them, otherwise we won't spuff our cash away on has-beens, players that will never be good enough and knackers? Sounds OK to me that.

As for January, unless some deal of the century opportunity presents itself I'm not at all arsed about us not spending then. Other than players who will be out of contract at the end of the season who can start signing pre-contract agreements, there's rarely much value in the January market.

Also, let's be honest - even if results pick up somewhat between now and then, there will still be a degree of doubt over Roy's longer term future here because it's the table at the end of the season that matters and a revival in November can easily be undone by a slump in February. Last thing we need is to give the boss £25m to spend in January and then sack him in May; the next time this club spends anything over £10m net in a transfer window we need to be sure that the guy spending it is going to be here to work with those players for a few years.

As far as the comments in the other thread about us not looking to give big contracts to older players and not paying £20m+ for 28 year olds go, it's exactly the same transfer policy that the mancs have adopted now and for once, I don't have any problem at all with us following their lead because it makes sense.

That's not to say that anyone over 28 isn't "worth" £20m in terms of what they can do on the pitch at 28, it's just that if you get them on a three year deal then by the time you've taken wages, signing fees and bonuses into account, you're adding the thick end of £10-12m a year onto the balance sheet for each year of their contract and at the end of it you have an asset with comparatively little residual value. Everything you've spent is effectively dead money and you have to start the cycle over again. A pretty much textbook example is the last player the mancs signed before they adopted their current policy - Berbatov.

Of course, I'd rather we swerved paying £7.5m for Portuguese vagrants no matter how old they are - think we can safely leave that stuff to Baconface.