You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez not to blame for Liverpool FC's awful start

RedMyst

Guest davelfc
Oh, I can't resist it any longer.

Is noone going to comment on the delicious irony of Rafa Benitez, of all people, telling someone else to - as a fat Texan once so memorably put it - "focus upon coaching and training the team"?

It was the elephant in the room and none of us really wanted to mention it.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc
Yeah that's true. I don't think it would even be an issue right now if the club had appointed a decent manager in the summer.

Under the previous owners they didn't want a decent manager, decent managers are ambitious and require investment for decent players.

Under Roy they could slip the cash out during his afternoon naps.

This is why we need the change as the club should have raised its ambition level a lot under these new owners. This is probably why not many people are really comfortable yet, once we see a top class manager we can start to believe they mean business.

Can't remember Benitez laying into Houlliers players suggesting they were poor. This may be why what was a relatively weak squad, carrying some real lame players like Traore, actually managed to win the CL in their "transition" season rather than languishing at the bottom of the PL and getting beaten at home by a weakened Northampton town at home for god's sake.

This is not a homage to Benitez, but I am taking sides.

It's true. Talking about being lucky in Istanbul and Cardiff. What about all the games leading up to those finals? I guess they were all lucky too.

Much easier to paint Gerrard as the real hero, oh how convenient he's one of us and not a dodgy foreigner.

I stopped reading at that point.

Their is two ways of looking at Instanbul (The part of the article I questioned). Firstly to get that squad past Juventus, Chelsea etc was monumental, no question. When you look at the final, however, we were very fortunate, and Rafa got it completely wrong (as he did in Athens, even though it doesn't diminsh the feat of getting to the final). Apart from 6 magical, unexplained minutes, we got murdered.

Guest davelfc

Anyway...

Roy's reply should be a 'no comment' let's not see this little spat grow any further. They've both had a swing at each other now so Roy can draw on his 35 years of experience to know when to shut the fuck up.

Their is two ways of looking at Instanbul (The part of the article I questioned). Firstly to get that squad past Juventus, Chelsea etc was monumental, no question. When you look at the final, however, we were very fortunate, and Rafa got it completely wrong (as he did in Athens, even though it doesn't diminsh the feat of getting to the final). Apart from 6 magical, unexplained minutes, we got murdered.

That's the irony, Benitez will always be remembered for winning a CL by playing poorly against a very strong team but forgotten will be the fact that two years later we dominated the final against the same team but lost. Just shows that winning is everything. What is beyond question is that I got to see three CL semi finals and 2 finals in a period of 5 years and got to see Liverpool at the very top of the UEFA rankings. All that with a weak squad.

That's the irony, Benitez will always be remembered for winning a CL by playing poorly against a very strong team but forgotten will be the fact that two years later we dominated the final against the same team but lost. Just shows that winning is everything. What is beyond question is that I got to see three CL semi finals and 2 finals in a period of 5 years and got to see Liverpool at the very top of the UEFA rankings.

That's true. You can play shit football and win trophy's and not many people give a fuck.

I think on a personal level, it is very clear who has class and who doesn't.

Roy started this and I see absolutely no benefits in it for him. So that begs the question- why did he make those comments? The only answer can be that it was another press conference mistake. He is undoubtedly out of his depth in this position.

I think on a personal level, it is very clear who has class and who doesn't.

Roy started this and I see absolutely no benefits in it for him. So that begs the question- why did he make those comments? The only answer can be that it was another press conference mistake. He is undoubtedly out of his depth in this position.

His ramblings just suggest that he's a desperate man who is clinging on for dear life.

the milk one was clear as day and obvious to anyone with half a brain what it meant...the sugar and priest thing I'm having to put some thought into. (is it just black and white as in the priest would stand out in his black robes on the mound of white sugar...lots of assumptions being made on the type of sugar and the sect here)

Guest davelfc
the milk one was clear as day and obvious to anyone with half a brain what it meant...the sugar and priest thing I'm having to put some thought into. (is it just black and white as in the priest would stand out in his black robes on the mound of white sugar...lots of assumptions being made on the type of sugar and the sect here)

I think it is just the simple black and white. I would have preferred him to use the 'arse' and 'elbow' one but he's too classy for that.