You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez not to blame for Liverpool FC's awful start

RedMyst

Guest The Chimp
If Hodgson had'nt come out with that snide talk involving Dalglish this week then Benitez would have had no questions to answer from the british press.

It was frankly disgraceful from Hodgson, and yet again he has tried to deflect critisicm from his own failings and mis-management.

That's been a reocurring aspect of his time here and it's pretty poor form to be honest.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Ant we support the club and what's best for it - or at least we should do. I don't support Hodgson quite simply because I don't think he's good enough for us. As an aside I dislike the way he conducts himself and the way he has acted at times as Liverpool manager.

Absolutely right.

Also funny that someone who was vocally anti-Rafa can use the argument 'we should only be supporting the Liverpool manager'; was that true last season, too? I expect you had no problem with the Ferguson rant, the spats with other managers, and never (as some did) reproached him for his politicking. After all, he was the Liverpool manager, and he deserved our unflinching support.

Guest The Chimp
To be fair, he's no different from our previous two managers in that respect.

He just does it so fucking clumsily.

It was wrong then as well Terry - and to be fair was also pointed out then. Seriously, this type of shite was something that Hodgson was supposed to be averse to. We've as a fan-base wanted to get back to the old Liverpool way of keeping things in-house and as far as I can recall Hodgson was supposed to be someone who would signify a return to that. Again, maybe I'm out fo order but he's the antithesis to what we needed when he came in, and what we were led to expect.

Edit. I take that back, I honestly don't feel I am out of order for saying that.

It was wrong then as well Terry - and to be fair was also pointed out then. Seriously, this type of shite was something that Hodgson was supposed to be averse to. We've as a fan-base wanted to get back to the old Liverpool way of keeping things in-house and as far as I can recall Hodgson was supposed to be someone who would signify a return to that. Again, maybe I'm out fo order but he's the antithesis to what we needed when he came in, and what we were led to expect.

Yeah, I agree. I should have added that I didn't think the previous two doing the same thing justified Roy doing it.

I said last season that I support the club regardless of who the manager is, but that doesn't mean I have to support the manager. Exactly the same situation this season.

I agree with that, and I wasn't referring to you. It was Ant who said 'there's only one person we aught [sic] to be supporting' -- that clearly wasn't the case last season. Whether someone believes in that or not is fine, as long as it's not one rule for one and another rule for another.

I'm Anti Rafa, and I'm certainly ignorant.

But that doesn't hide the fact Rafael Benitez is manager of Inter Milan, and Roy Hodgson is manager of Liverpool and there is only one person we really aught to be supporting.

Major hypocrite. Where was this support you're talking about for the manager last season?

if someone as hapless and inept at his job as Roy was blaming me for his failings and making snide insinuations about me to try and curry favour I'd want to have my say too

Id want to chin him if he blamed me for the cock up he is making of things.

Major hypocrite. Where was this support you're talking about for the manager last season?

I guess that can be turned 180 degrees by asking where was all this "12 points from 10 games, you useless shithouse, get the fuck out" hysteria when his predecessor went on at least 6 or 7 similar runs during his time here, including two such runs last season?

Because Rafa usually followed them up with good successful runs, and that Hodgson isn't worthy of patience to see if he can achieve similar?

There's enough hypocrisy to go around I think.

It seems a lot of fans on here lap up every attack on rafa, and when he responds then the consensus is he should not have done...welll that's just bullshit rafa should have nailed the imposter that is hodgson long time ago as he has been feeding the sharks in the media throughout his 4 months with the club and deflect attention away from his utter competence... i really hoped he would have been in the england job, and when he would have failed then he would have got the mclaren treatment, or better still the graham taylor treatment, then he would have been taught a lesson on the dark side of the media.... as long as this incompetent man is in charge of the club, he is destroying everything that this club existed for....

Stop bein such a drama queen.

No Ant we support the club and what's best for it - or at least we should do. I don't support Hodgson quite simply because I don't think he's good enough for us. As an aside I dislike the way he conducts himself and the way he has acted at times as Liverpool manager. The Benitez stuff doesn't compute because in all honesty that's fuck all to do with Liverpool anymore - for me it was about one bloke defending himself against some fairly provocative accusations from another.

Spot on that mate.

Guest davelfc
great post doh'nuts - the anti-rafa hate, fat waiter jibes etc from our own supporters was disgusting at times. can't wait to hear with hodgson has to say in reply to rafa's press conference...

oh an i hope inter stuff spurs tonight and give floppy cheeks what he deserves

Enough has been said now by both (one prompted by the other) and Roy should refuse to comment on the matter. He would gain more respect from me if he does that.

He won't of course.

Fanning;

While opinion is deeply divided as to Benitez's responsibility for the state Liverpool now find themselves in, much of what the Inter Milan manager said last night will serve as a rallying call for those Liverpool fans loyal to Benitez and disenchanted with Hodgson.

A rallying call to what, exactly?

"Liverpool fans loyal to Benitez", eh? Again, to what purpose?

This is way beyond continuing to admire a former boss.

A Liverpool supporting journalist at an Inter Milan press conference.

If NESV are taking note of all this, it's more or less ensuring that Fanning and co's wet dream of a Rafa return is well and truly fucked. If they ask Purslow and Broughton for their input, it was a pipedream from start to finish.

Maybe Huang will still buy them out?

i think roy hodgson and our ex players, get away with the shit they preach because rafa is not a native english speaker, and also he has immersed himself to much in the old liverpool way, which has not existed for the last 10-15 years, and is as far away now as it ever has been, and rick parry, david moores, and the ex players are to be blamed it disappeared long time before rafa arrived, infact rafa brought some of it back through his dignity and respect for the club, and he is still upholding it with class, there is no doubt about it, shankly would have loved him, because he would have seen himself in him, and those that use the liverpool way in forums such as this to attack rafa and fans calling for hodgsons head are only using it for self interest and self purpose, the liverpool way does not exist and if it is being a hypocrite like many here and other threads then I am totally against the liverpool way and a reform needs to take place to take it back to what it was originally.

Also regarding me I have been a lurker of all the forums for god knows how many years now but never active until recently and the reason behind it i could not accept that we have fans amongst us that are totally intellectually handicapped with not even a remote bit of inteligence to realise that the man who has gone is a trillion times upgrade on the current "caretaker" not just as a manger of this club but also as a man, and a human being , rafa is unique, he is special, he is a fuckin scouser born in madrid, the man and the manager is what this club needs, he not only fights for the club, the fans, the players, he also fights for the city of liverpool,... Roy hodgson is not my manger of my club the sooner he goes the better it is we are the laughing stock of the league and in europe because of his limited ability and his inteligence, i do not wish ill on him but hodgson is a man who practices"the dark art" who thinks he can get away with it because he is over 60 and english, well he can fuck off, if i was rafa i would have raped him more venomously with my choice of words, hoidgson has got of lightely, he should do the honourable thing and resign.

One more serious point - that Rafa's £300m sum isn't just mischevious (because it's patently untrue and inflated), it's downright unhelpful. Because I'm sure Messrs Hicks and Gillett will gladly use that as evidence in their damages claim about the club - ie it suggests that the squad value alone was worth more than the price which NESV bought the club for, and thus gives weight to their claim that the sale undervalued the club and 'swindled' them. So on sober reflection, i think that's really unhelpful and potentially very very damaging from Rafa; and it's time for him - as well as Roy - to shut up if he genuinely claims to have any respect for the fans or the club.

Fanning;

While opinion is deeply divided as to Benitez's responsibility for the state Liverpool now find themselves in, much of what the Inter Milan manager said last night will serve as a rallying call for those Liverpool fans loyal to Benitez and disenchanted with Hodgson.

A rallying call to what, exactly?

"Liverpool fans loyal to Benitez", eh? Again, to what purpose?

This is way beyond continuing to admire a former boss.

A Liverpool supporting journalist at an Inter Milan press conference.

If NESV are taking note of all this, it's more or less ensuring that Fanning and co's wet dream of a Rafa return is well and truly fucked. If they ask Purslow and Broughton for their input, it was a pipedream from start to finish.

Maybe Huang will still buy them out?

Although they have shown competence at handling legal matters I doubt they will be asking those two for any advice on employing managers after their disastrous attempts at matters on the footballing side.