You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez not to blame for Liverpool FC's awful start

RedMyst

great post doh'nuts - the anti-rafa hate, fat waiter jibes etc from our own supporters was disgusting at times. can't wait to hear with hodgson has to say in reply to rafa's press conference...

oh an i hope inter stuff spurs tonight and give floppy cheeks what he deserves

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are criticizing Rafa for speaking up. He didn't even want to bring Liverpool up:

Benitez said: "I will be clear. I don't want to talk about Liverpool but I will because they are asking me again. I feel that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand. Every single press conference is worse than the last one. He's talking about things he doesn't know. Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar. He doesn't understand. Maybe he has been in the job for not so long.

"We (the Benitez regime) gave the (Liverpool) fans the pride. Again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this. I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club. Christian Purslow (the former managing director) gave him another role. So he doesn't know but I will explain to him.

"He (Hodgson) signed nine players. I left that squad with £10m net spending, I left that squad with a value of £300m value and 13 internationals. So instead of talking about flips and flops, he has to concentrate on the job, try to do his best and not talk about the level of his players. Let the new players come in and concentrate, try to do their best, because it will be the best for the clubs and the best for the fans."

Benitez slams Hodgson in 'priest on a mountain of sugar' tirade - Soccer, Sport - Independent.ie

For those who are criticizing Rafa for speaking up. He didn't even want to bring Liverpool up:

Benitez said: "I will be clear. I don't want to talk about Liverpool but I will because they are asking me again. I feel that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand. Every single press conference is worse than the last one. He's talking about things he doesn't know. Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar. He doesn't understand. Maybe he has been in the job for not so long.

"We (the Benitez regime) gave the (Liverpool) fans the pride. Again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this. I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club. Christian Purslow (the former managing director) gave him another role. So he doesn't know but I will explain to him.

"He (Hodgson) signed nine players. I left that squad with £10m net spending, I left that squad with a value of £300m value and 13 internationals. So instead of talking about flips and flops, he has to concentrate on the job, try to do his best and not talk about the level of his players. Let the new players come in and concentrate, try to do their best, because it will be the best for the clubs and the best for the fans."

Benitez slams Hodgson in 'priest on a mountain of sugar' tirade - Soccer, Sport - Independent.ie

Funny how the media label this a "Tirade" - bunch of cunts

Benitez still makes me smile, Legend

Oh, I can't resist it any longer.

Is noone going to comment on the delicious irony of Rafa Benitez, of all people, telling someone else to - as a fat Texan once so memorably put it - "focus upon coaching and training the team"?

yep and I think Rafa meant it to be ironic in that way too

I really liked this article about his previous 'rant': 'Milking It'

To paraphrase Señor Benítez, if representatives of the British media come across as lazy, stupid and ignorant, talk like they’re lazy, stupid and ignorant, and write lazy, stupid and ignorant things, then, well, they’re probably lazy, stupid and ignorant. White liquid in a bottle: milk.

To be fair, he hasn't started this. Roy has fired off many criticisms and accusations and Rafa has took the opportunity to respond. In doing so, he has absolutely nailed him and made him look a bit silly.

Absolutely spot on, add in Bruce, Ferguson, Redknapp, Coyle, FatSam, Moyes and the rest who have also layed into him since he has gone, and a baying English media (lets see how many of them focus on the abstract rather than analysing the actual argument), nothing wrong with biting back every now and then.

And what other crazy phrases can we expect from Rafa in the next few weeks, I want a doughut if he comes out with any of the below

I can see a few of them being used

Pongo un circo y me crecen los enanos = I start a circus and the dwarfs grow up on me.

purslow.jpg

I'm suing

7. pensar en la inmortalidad del cangrejo = to think about the immortality of the crab

lucas_leiva_casa.jpg

So am I.

Rafa OWNING uncle woy once again. Woy really needs to shut up as he's being made to look like a fool. Don't blame rafa with everyone slating him, he had every right to bite back. When it comes to a war of words rafa can take on anyone.

Can't we just sack Uncle Woy now and get in a decent manager? I could enjoy watching my team again.

Guest Pistonbroke

Neither are doing our club any favours. They should both shut the fuck up and get on with managing their respective clubs. If we wanted playground tit for tat antics we would employ fucking politicians.

Neither are doing our club any favours. They should both shut the fuck up and get on with managing their respective clubs. If we wanted playground tit for tat antics we would employ fucking politicians.

Perfectly put.

The two of them are like fucking children and, God knows, both of them have enough issues at their own respective clubs not to waste their time commenting on things that are of no concern to them.

Grow up and move on.

Not saying Roy Hodgson is making life easy for himself. But Rafa needs to start focusing on coaching and training his own team

It's not on. He's once more pandering to our own fans and putting the pressure on Hodgson, is snide is what it is, and it's damn right disgraceful behaviour but it doesn't surprise me. The man is relentless in blaming anyone and everyone for his own failings. I'm sure he came out with one or two lines saying he was left a poor side when Houllier left.

We're 5 points off 4th or something like that. We've got two big games, a win v Chelsea put us right up there again.

It seems a lot of fans on here lap up every attack on rafa, and when he responds then the consensus is he should not have done...welll that's just bullshit rafa should have nailed the imposter that is hodgson long time ago as he has been feeding the sharks in the media throughout his 4 months with the club and deflect attention away from his utter competence... i really hoped he would have been in the england job, and when he would have failed then he would have got the mclaren treatment, or better still the graham taylor treatment, then he would have been taught a lesson on the dark side of the media.... as long as this incompetent man is in charge of the club, he is destroying everything that this club existed for....

Not saying Roy Hodgson is making life easy for himself. But Rafa needs to start focusing on coaching and training his own team

It's not on. He's once more pandering to our own fans and putting the pressure on Hodgson, is snide is what it is, and it's damn right disgraceful behaviour but it doesn't surprise me. The man is relentless in blaming anyone and everyone for his own failings. I'm sure he came out with one or two lines saying he was left a poor side when Houllier left.

We're 5 points off 4th or something like that. We've got two big games, a win v Chelsea put us right up there again.

that is just total bollocks, he is being attacked by every1 and from all directions, and his loegacy and history is being re-written you would almost think he is moses, thats how consistent and poisonous it has been so ENUFF IS ENUFF, and rafa has nailed it and nailed him, infact he should have done this earlier, your assumption can only be made that your anti rafa, or your just ignorant

Guest Pistonbroke
It seems a lot of fans on here lap up every attack on rafa, and when he responds then the consensus is he should not have done...welll that's just bullshit rafa should have nailed the imposter that is hodgson long time ago as he has been feeding the sharks in the media throughout his 4 months with the club and deflect attention away from his utter competence... i really hoped he would have been in the england job, and when he would have failed then he would have got the mclaren treatment, or better still the graham taylor treatment, then he would have been taught a lesson on the dark side of the media.... as long as this incompetent man is in charge of the club, he is destroying everything that this club existed for....

You sound confused.

that is just total bollocks, he is being attacked by every1 and from all directions, and his loegacy and history is being re-written you would almost think he is moses, thats how consistent and poisonous it has been so ENUFF IS ENUFF, and rafa has nailed it and nailed him, infact he should have done this earlier, your assumption can only be made that your anti rafa, or your just ignorant

I'm Anti Rafa, and I'm certainly ignorant.

But that doesn't hide the fact Rafael Benitez is manager of Inter Milan, and Roy Hodgson is manager of Liverpool and there is only one person we really aught to be supporting.

If Hodgson had'nt come out with that snide talk involving Dalglish this week then Benitez would have had no questions to answer from the british press.

It was frankly disgraceful from Hodgson, and yet again he has tried to deflect critisicm from his own failings and mis-management.

But that doesn't hide the fact Rafael Benitez is manager of Inter Milan, and Roy Hodgson is manager of Liverpool and there is only one person we really aught to be supporting.

Out of interest what are your view on roys interpretation of the Dalglish situation?. As you are not normally reticent about offering your candid opinions about how a Liverpool manager should behave.

Also his general calamitous approach to handling all things involving a microphone?.

So you would support an LFC manager no matter what - unless it is Rafa? You are proven bigot by your own words.

As a self-proclaimed LFC supporter (a doubtful proposition given your attacks on our last winning manager) you have no say in what is appropriate for Inter Milan or its manager. Which is nice!

Guest The Chimp

No Ant we support the club and what's best for it - or at least we should do. I don't support Hodgson quite simply because I don't think he's good enough for us. As an aside I dislike the way he conducts himself and the way he has acted at times as Liverpool manager. The Benitez stuff doesn't compute because in all honesty that's fuck all to do with Liverpool anymore - for me it was about one bloke defending himself against some fairly provocative accusations from another.

No Ant we support the club and what's best for it - or at least we should do. I don't support Hodgson quite simply because I don't think he's good enough for us. As an aside I dislike the way he conducts himself and the way he has acted at times as Liverpool manager. The Benitez stuff doesn't compute because in all honesty that's fuck all to do with Liverpool anymore - for me it was about one bloke defending himself against some fairly provocative accusations from another.

Exactly right

I'm guessing he'd find it easier to concentrate on his own team if he didn't have to first contend with Hodgson attacking him to deflect blame and then the british press questioning him about what hodgson has said.

Good ol' Roy must love you, you're his bread and butter the simple fool who falls straight into the trap of defending him from a 'storm' of his own making.

PS - we're alot closer to the bottom than we are the top.