You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez not to blame for Liverpool FC's awful start

RedMyst

I miss Rafa lets get him back and pretend last season didn't happen. I miss having that fighter and what I miss even more is being one of the most feared teams in Europe who beat the likes of Barca, Real, Inter, Juve, Chelsea, Chelsea and so on.

Football was exciting back then you'd be thinking about it all week, now I don't even think about the games until the day of.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking on Rafa would be one of the worst things Hodgson could do at the moment. Not only will Benitez profoundly confuse him with forgotten axioms summoned from civilizations of the lost, he'll also be the manager with nothing on his resume who criticized his Champions League winning predecessor. He'll alienate at least half of the remaining 5% of fans who think he ought to have more time. It would be suicide.

What I resent is bringing Dalglish into his pitiful narrative of excuses and finger pointing. That's a line you don't cross.

Fuckin hell that has holes in it, we wouldn't get anything like £14m for Agger, £8m max he's average and always injured, who said Arsenal and Spurs are interseted caught offside.com?

we've agreed to sell Aqualani for £13m, Johnson isn't worth £18m, do you really believe we'd get £9m for babel now.Mascherano was sold for £17.5m according to LFC.net

And we'd do well to get £70m for Torres

They're speculative values; but either way there's plenty of players there that he can sell if he so wishes. Lots sale-able assets unlike what Rafa inherited.

I miss Rafa lets get him back and pretend last season didn't happen. I miss having that fighter and what I miss even more is being one of the most feared teams in Europe who beat the likes of Barca, Real, Inter, Juve, Chelsea, Chelsea and so on.

Football was exciting back then you'd be thinking about it all week, now I don't even think about the games until the day of.

Come on now Rex, fans of other teams actually like Royston.... I saw some fucker post this as a reason to back him the other day, Man united, Chelsea, Everton fans - shucks I'm sure they love Roy, another reason why he is not up to the job.

the milk one was clear as day and obvious to anyone with half a brain what it meant...the sugar and priest thing I'm having to put some thought into. (is it just black and white as in the priest would stand out in his black robes on the mound of white sugar...lots of assumptions being made on the type of sugar and the sect here)

Yes. Simple as.

There's a frightening and sickening amount of hate, and lack of respect for the man who brought us to the very pinnacle of European football after so many years in the wilderness. And who two years later brought us to that same stage, with another Semi Final in 2008. That's not to talk of his La Liga titles with an unfashionable side breaking the monopoly of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

It is true that we made steps in that direction in 2001, as part of our treble under Gerard Houllier. But those same people with selective memories are also likely to be the ones who will discount those victories and trophies as being unworthy of their support. No doubt they sat with long faces and arms folded wondering why thousands of other fans were bothering to enjoy success we were long starved of.

The FA Cup of 2006 seems to get lost in the mists of time too. But still Rafa Benitez is vilified and spoken of with venom. Decried and insulted by those who cannot accept and acknowledge what he brought us, but rather badmouth him for the sin of having to work under the pressure of the most unbelievably shit owners anybody could imagine.

Under our erstwhile 'owners' there wasn't much prospect of him continuing. And the football we played last season didn't make anyone want to change that. As long as they were still here, and not knowing how long they would be here, there was little else anyone could see happening, but a parting of the ways.

But why should that make people immediately start personal insults and the hate they've spewed here and elsewhere? Can these idiots not just accept and enjoy what we won under his leadership and leave it at that? Those wishing to relegate him and his achievements to the history books should look at those same history books and see the name of Liverpool once again at the forefront of European football and try say they wished it wasn't so.

The only ones who can be hurt by their hate, are those who are projecting it. It was a common cry when he went by those who hated him... "He's gone - get over it". Well now you could do us all a favour by saying it to yourselves.

There's a frightening and sickening amount of hate' date=' and lack of respect for the man who brought us to the very pinnacle of European football after so many years in the wilderness. And who two years later brought us to that same stage, with another Semi Final in 2008. That's not to talk of his La Liga titles with an unfashionable side breaking the monopoly of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

It is true that we made steps in that direction in 2001, as part of our treble under Gerard Houllier. But those same people with selective memories are also likely to be the ones who will discount those victories and trophies as being unworthy of their support. No doubt they sat with long faces and arms folded wondering why thousands of other fans were bothering to enjoy success we were long starved of.

The FA Cup of 2006 seems to get lost in the mists of time too. But still Rafa Benitez is vilified and spoken of with venom. Decried and insulted by those who cannot accept and acknowledge what he brought us, but rather badmouth him for the sin of having to work under the pressure of the most unbelievably shit owners anybody could imagine.

Under our erstwhile 'owners' there wasn't much prospect of him continuing. And the football we played last season didn't make anyone want to change that. As long as they were still here, and not knowing how long they would be here, there was little else anyone could see happening, but a parting of the ways.

But why should that make people immediately start personal insults and the hate they've spewed here and elsewhere? Can these idiots not just accept and enjoy what we won under his leadership and leave it at that? Those wishing to relegate him and his achievements to the history books should look at those same history books and see the name of Liverpool once again at the forefront of European football and try say they wished it wasn't so.

The only ones who can be hurt by their hate, are those who are projecting it. It was a common cry when he went by those who hated him... "He's gone - get over it". Well now you could do us all a favour by saying it to yourselves.[/quote']

Spot on mate.

They are just press led wankers when all is said and done. The 'fat spanish cunt' stuff was an absolute low in the history of so called Liverpool support. Twisting an Everton skit into an even more insulting jibe at our own manager was unforgivable. There are cracks in our support, its obvious. Its also undestandable when thats the level of scum you're dealing with.

Tell you what, if I was an Inter fan, I'd be wondering why my manager spent every press conference talking about his last club.

Having said that, this latest exchange demonstrates exactly why Hodgson was very foolish for firing a salvo at Benitez. He speaks from a position of weakness, from under the microscope. He is vulnerable to any criticism just now and by doing this he was basically putting a big sign on his arse saying 'Kick Hard, Please'.

Benitez can sit in Milan and rain shite on him all day long with no consquence or comeback for him whatsoever.

I don't think Benitez should have fired back at Hodgson. Should have been the bigger man and took the high road. In saying that though, Rafa seemed seriously peeved in the press conference. I can understand it. Roy needs to stop having digs at Benitez and blaming him for his failures. Equally so Rafa needs to just let it go and stop talking about us.

Just watched the Rafa pc then.

You can see he's just playing one big game with the brain dead souther dick heads in the British media. He knows he gets to them, and dropping in another obscure spanish saying will just flumux the mongs even more. Also pissed myself with his referring to roy as Mr Hodgson, very Mr Ferguson-esque! Brilliant stuff, he's a funny feller even speaking in a foriegn language.

To be fair, he hasn't started this. Roy has fired off many criticisms and accusations and Rafa has took the opportunity to respond. In doing so, he has absolutely nailed him and made him look a bit silly.

There's a frightening and sickening amount of hate' date=' and lack of respect for the man who brought us to the very pinnacle of European football after so many years in the wilderness. And who two years later brought us to that same stage, with another Semi Final in 2008. That's not to talk of his La Liga titles with an unfashionable side breaking the monopoly of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The only ones who can be hurt by their hate, are those who are projecting it. It was a common cry when he went by those who hated him... "He's gone - get over it". Well now you could do us all a favour by saying it to yourselves.[/quote']

I totally agree with you.

I feel good to say that I liked Rafa's period of reign at Liverpool, although it went pear-shaped last year. Gave me a sense of confidence with Rafa on the sidelines. With Roy as soon as the hand goes to his chin i start to worry, as he has no clue and there goes my sense of confidence.

I still wonder what Rafa and the team would have achieved as far as other honors, if we had a more stable and harmonious period as far as the owners were concerened.

When I hear or read from fans like you I become incredible proud to be a Liverpool Fan. It is sad that our fanbase is not what it used to be, however I can understand why as we haven't gone through easy times.

I like to hear Rafa speak about us because I get the feeling he says what he says as a fan and whether he had good time with us or he brought us down the last season I believe he was a smart classy man who brought us to a high level of respect. The man deserves nothing more than respect. We are Liverpool lets show everyone how we treat those who are with us

YNWA

Can we have Pellegrini yet?

Just to quell the idiot noise if nothing else.

If you want a manager who has his teams playing decent football, has a bit of class and integrity and God forbid would have a sense of what it means to manage a club like this then he's your man.

Hodgson can then go and manage England.

To be fair, he hasn't started this. Roy has fired off many criticisms and accusations and Rafa has took the opportunity to respond. In doing so, he has absolutely nailed him and made him look a bit silly.

Quite. After the start he's had, Hodgson would be wise not to invite comparisons with any of our previous managers, not just the last one.

For Benitez, it's another round of questions about his ex-employers, a chance to settle a few old scores (couldn't resist bringing Purslow into the shit storm too, I see), and draw some favorable comparison with his successor.

It's money for jam.

People need to remember that Rafa doesn't walk in to a press conference and dive head first in to a conversation about Liverpool off his own back. He will be getting bombarded with questions by the English press who have stalked him around since he left, the same English press who rendered him a failure and a no mark whilst he was here. I bet he's pissing himself at the media following he's still getting over in Italy after half the press over here campaigned to get shut of him for the past 3years.

Spot on mate.

They are just press led wankers when all is said and done. The 'fat spanish cunt' stuff was an absolute low in the history of so called Liverpool support. Twisting an Everton skit into an even more insulting jibe at our own manager was unforgivable. There are cracks in our support, its obvious. Its also undestandable when thats the level of scum you're dealing with.

I agree with DN and I agree with you.

There's so many Liverpool fans I just don't identify with. I certainly wouldn't stand shoulder to shoulder with them.

I'm still bitter at the bile.