You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez not to blame for Liverpool FC's awful start

RedMyst

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a good hour or so in a dark room, just calm down.

Oh and the 'revenge neg' classy.

You negged me for 'talking bollocks'. I negged you for being so silly to neg me in addition to dissing my post. There's absolutely no need for that sort of behaviour. It's the sort of thing Rafa would do, the slippery backstabbing scamp.

His strength is coaching not buying he left us with a worst squad than he inherited. He's now taken over the best team in Europe and hasn't signed a single player himself in fact the entire team that played spurs were there before him,so he has nothing to worry about stick to concentrating on coaching his team and move on

I'm not sticking up for Rafa; but that is not true.

What he left behind was arguably:

The best keeper in the league (top 5 in the world)

The best defensive midfielder in the world

The best all round midfielder in the world

The best striker in the world

Turned Carra into a world class cb (which will never happen under another manager). And Holland, Brazilian, England and Argentinian regulars such as Kuyt, Johnson, Lucas and Maxi.

BTW, Skrtel and Agger are starting regulars in their national teams too and are considered top young CBs.

Piss poor team indeed, Rafa left us with.

Is right Benitaur,

I wonder if Madrid win the Champions League this year, whose team will it be,Mourinho's or Pellegrini's?

He's putting together quite a cake. He started with a list almost 2 years ago. He discussed milk a few weeks back, and now he's talking about sugar. On the next 3 occasions he discusses Liverpool with the media, look out for mentions of eggs, flour and vanilla extract. When he next slags off Whiskeynose, I'll consider that the icing.

Unfortunately the primary ingredient is bullshit.

Some people have very short memories. For the majority of the time under Benitez the football was fucking dreadful. Even the season we finished second, up until about february it was terrible, we only opened up and attacked teams that year because he had no choice. I really don't understand people eulogising Benitez like he was some kind of messiah. At times he was a good manager, who did really well in europe, but ultimately fell short. John Aldridge is getting slammed by a lot of people for what he wrote the other day about Benitez, I agree with the majority of the article.

I see what you did there, davelfc. Lap it up, go on, there's a good boy.

Roy's had his crack. Rafa's responded. Strange that Hodgson chose the very week he knew Benitez would land on these shores to open his mouth, so I wonder what he expected.

Guest davelfc
This is all getting tiresome and needs nipping in the bud. Preferably with Roy getting the chop.

I agree, if we had a decent manager he wouldn't feel the need to hit out at everyone but himself. He wouldn't put himself in a position where he had criticised a previous manager. Then maybe the media wouldn't be pressing a previous manager for his reaction.

Maybe a 35 year veteran of handling the media would know better.

None of this shit will stop until as you say Roy gets the chop and we can get behind a manager and the team and do what we do best, support.

This is just Rafa stamping his feet at the fact that not long after he left Hicks and Gillett followed. I have no doubt he loves the club and his preference would be to still be here under our current owners. In my opinion, he deserved to be shown the door, that's not to say that Hodgson is a better manager or doing a better job, but just because our current manager isn't doing a good job doesn't mean that our former one should be absolved.

Just when it seems like the club is getting back on track we have inter continental spats between past and present. They should both fucking grow up, neither are helping the club.

Bit embarrassing from both managers to be honest (Though Hodgson has been continuously putting his foot in it since he's been here) I can understand why Rafa felt the need to respond plus what many people forget is that its the press asking the questions to these answers which usually bring about the responses they don't just sit down and read from a list of facts. Got to say Rafa is funny as with these lines he's coming out with recently. About both managers not accepting blame for there mistakes I think it was Thants who said it's an attribute of most top level managers so don't see too much wrong with it relatively even though it would be great if they did.

What - the priest thing? Yep - I reckon it's a cultural reference from the conquest of the Dominican Republic or Cuba (or one of the other Spanish Caribbean islands), and the establishment of the Spanish sugar plantation economy, myself. Cleverly juxtaposing the fervent religious benediction with the whole mercantile enterprise.

Bollocks. It's about the end of Scarface. Pacino's char can't find God, no matter how much coke he has.

Some people have very short memories. For the majority of the time under Benitez the football was fucking dreadful. Even the season we finished second, up until about february it was terrible, we only opened up and attacked teams that year because he had no choice. I really don't understand people eulogising Benitez like he was some kind of messiah. At times he was a good manager, who did really well in europe, but ultimately fell short. John Aldridge is getting slammed by a lot of people for what he wrote the other day about Benitez, I agree with the majority of the article.

Benitez had his faults, but he deserves recognition for his achievements. Aldridge has spouted some utter shit over the last season or so, but that article was maybe the worst thing I've ever read -- and I include Jaimie Kanwar's screenplay in that.

There would be far less eulogising of Benitez if we'd appointed a decent manager. As it is, Hodgson is like our rebound lay. In the early days people were just happy we could forget about our old romance for five minutes. Now we're becoming aware she's actually pretty ropey; maybe what we had before wasn't so bad after all; and then there's the post-coital conversation. Sweet Jesus.

Until he's sacked off and we have someone befitting our status I'm afraid that this is destined to continue.

Why's that?

It's true. Talking about being lucky in Istanbul and Cardiff. What about all the games leading up to those finals? I guess they were all lucky too.

Much easier to paint Gerrard as the real hero, oh how convenient he's one of us and not a dodgy foreigner.

I stopped reading at that point.

His strength is coaching not buying he left us with a worst squad than he inherited. He's now taken over the best team in Europe and hasn't signed a single player himself in fact the entire team that played spurs were there before him,so he has nothing to worry about stick to concentrating on coaching his team and move on

LFC in 2009/10 were a relatively small player financially, a selling club for several transfer windows. In the squad left we had arguably 4 players who could compete for the best player in their position in the world, including Mascherano who admittedly wanted to leave for a year and 13 players who played in the world cup. Admittedly the strength in depth was not there but we do not know how much of this was down to financial constraint and controls within the club around transfer windows.

Benitez inherited Dudek, Diouf, Traore, Biscan, Murphy, Cisse, Baros, Smicer, Kewell, Heskey, as well as Hypia, Hamman, Finann, Riise, Gerrard and Carragher. (not sure whether Owen can be included as he'd decided to cash in and rat off)

On balance would you exchange that for Reina, Johnson, Mascherano, Gerrard,Torres, Maxi, Lucas, Kuyt, Insua, Skrtel, Agger, Carragher, Aquilani, Benayoun, Kyrgiakos, Ngog?

I'd say its an improvement even if some of those players have been poor this year and others have not fully lived up to their reputation (e.g. Maxi)

I've been highly critical of some of the buys and sells but on the whole I would say the balance is in favour, albiet tainted by recent history. That's been obvious as big clubs have been sniffing around are players all year as opposed to the destinations of some of the players in that former squad

@Aldonose

Under Benitez it is certainly true that the football could be stagnant, and we some times lacked penetration. However, when playing the shite teams, one could almost always tell that we were the big team in terms of possession, shots etc. That was not the case under Houllier.

Yeah that's true. I don't think it would even be an issue right now if the club had appointed a decent manager in the summer.