You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez not to blame for Liverpool FC's awful start

RedMyst

Rafa would have won us the league if we had been sold to someone other than G&H. they ruined our chance of wining the league and set us back massively. Rafa got us so close, we just needed to push on and get those extra couple of players to make the difference. Instead we had to make a profit in that and the next few transfer windows.

Oi cunt, stop talking sense.

Aldo needs to keep his mouth shut. The amount of shit blaming our current plight on the previous manager is sickening and the amount of people Ive had to correct over it is unbelieveable.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aldo's article is a bit harsh to say the least, but Aldo used to blast Rafa or at least his team selection/style of play quite alot especially when we were not playing well or dropping points (remember the 5 draws in a row 08/09 season) fans always have a view on their club its usually good when they are winning and bad when there not Aldo's the same the utd game at ot 4-1 he was "Rafa's got this team playing great football we can win the pl this season outstanding blah,blah,blah" then 2-2 at st andrews when we were 2-0 down it was all Rafa's constant team changing and our lack of change of system is our down fall we wont win the pl like this,poor article and no need for it to come out now Rafa's been gone for what 4 months now.

Read the Times today and Oli Kay had a balanced article in the sports pullout. I guess with Rafa the problem was he lost faith in those around him and decided he had to do it all himself. Don't disagree with him on the losing faith bit but no man can do it all when you consider where we were as a team when he started his battle with Coco. A Rafa who is focused and trusts those around him is probably up there with the best. I Rafa on the warpath fighting battles left and right is not. I am now of the opinion that he is probably the best guy for job if we are correct in interpreting NESV's view on player recruitment strategy. The majority of Rafa's big signings that were meant to go straight into the team and do a job fit the model I think NESV want. Agger, Skrtel, Torres, Reina, Alonso, Masch, were all young and offered value for the price paid. Even Aquilani and Glen could have been added to that group if last season was better. His buying of experienced/older players is dodgy though.

What a load of shite that article is.

Will he be threatening legal action on this one.

It seems to be the new fad for everyone to blame Rafa for the shite served up by the playing and coaching staff so far this season.

Them fucking goalposts just really won't stay still will they.

Rafa was never going to win us the league because the man never learned from his own personal mistakes.

Mainly because he thought those mistakes where made by someone else.

Rubbish arguement. Apart from Holloway, name me a manager who declares his own mistakes. All top managers are stubborn, self confident men.

Read the Times today and Oli Kay had a balanced article in the sports pullout. I guess with Rafa the problem was he lost faith in those around him and decided he had to do it all himself. Don't disagree with him on the losing faith bit but no man can do it all when you consider where we were as a team when he started his battle with Coco. A Rafa who is focused and trusts those around him is probably up there with the best. I Rafa on the warpath fighting battles left and right is not. I am now of the opinion that he is probably the best guy for job if we are correct in interpreting NESV's view on player recruitment strategy. The majority of Rafa's big signings that were meant to go straight into the team and do a job fit the model I think NESV want. Agger, Skrtel, Torres, Reina, Alonso, Masch, were all young and offered value for the price paid. Even Aquilani and Glen could have been added to that group if last season was better. His buying of experienced/older players is dodgy though.

Again, he didn't seem to have too much respect for Valencia's hierarchy despite the trophies and despite how well they'd done under Kuper as well.

Some may have to accept the fact that Rafa could cause a fight in an empty house. Having been involved in 72 transfer deals in 6 years averaging 6 in 6 out every season, there were also suspicions that he could not leave well alone.

As a typically arrogant Red I thought all the table/lamp stuff was just a load of bollocks that tried to placate Valencia fans, instead of saying "look if I succeed at Liverpool I'm world-wide, people on every continent will know me".

Is it possible that he never really regarded Valencia as his success? I may be wrong but did Ferguson ever say of his Aberdeen days "a lot of that was down to the fact that Celtic and Rangers weren't getting their act together"?

Which is what Rafa alluded to re Barca and Real.

He came here for more fame and more control, the idea of coming back for Henry and knuckling down is preposterous. We'd have to get in a far better position to interest Rafa again, and would NESV dump the manager that got us onto Rafa's radar?

Extremely doubtful. I doubt he'd trust NESV either.

As i said before in the thread Aldo is out of order big time Rafa has gone he should leave it at that (i thought Rafa's time had run its course at liverpool by the end of last season)but based on our start this year and our new financial upturn i'd take Rafa (or any other top class manager) back tommorow and be over the moon with it,Our bad form/start this season is down to THIS manager not the last and i dont see it getting any better while he is here his buys have been bad/stop gaps at best and i wouldn't trust him with last years summer transfer kitty let alone januarys kitty.

I'll probably get jumped on no matter what I say about Rafa because of my feelings towards him, but this situation is stupid.

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that the squad he left was riddled with shite, he admitted himself at the end of last season we needed 6 or 7 (?) players added to the squad as it wasn't good enough.

But that doesn't mean that he can blamed for what's been served up this year, absolutely not. It's up to the man in charge to work with what he's got in an attempt to get the best out of them.

That didn't happen last season and Benitez paid the price for that. It was nobody's fault but his, just as - at the moment - the current situation is nobody's fault but Roy's.

If he can't work with what he's got and we can continue, in the main, to struggle or even (god forbid) we get worse; he should pay the price.

Again, he didn't seem to have too much respect for Valencia's hierarchy despite the trophies and despite how well they'd done under Kuper as well.

Some may have to accept the fact that Rafa could cause a fight in an empty house. Having been involved in 72 transfer deals in 6 years averaging 6 in 6 out every season, there were also suspicions that he could not leave well alone.

As a typically arrogant Red I thought all the table/lamp stuff was just a load of bollocks that tried to placate Valencia fans, instead of saying "look if I succeed at Liverpool I'm world-wide, people on every continent will know me".

Is it possible that he never really regarded Valencia as his success? I may be wrong but did Ferguson ever say of his Aberdeen days "a lot of that was down to the fact that Celtic and Rangers weren't getting their act together"?

Which is what Rafa alluded to re Barca and Real.

He came here for more fame and more control, the idea of coming back for Henry and knuckling down is preposterous. We'd have to get in a far better position to interest Rafa again, and would NESV dump the manager that got us onto Rafa's radar?

Extremely doubtful. I doubt he'd trust NESV either.

Good points there. Trust and Rafa don't go well together as you have pointed out. Not heard much from him at Inter but its only 4 months. Knuckling down is another aspect that I overlooked. Its a proper cluster fuck this picking a manager lark. Hope NESV get it right.

Aldo should be ashamed of himself. Thought he had more class than that. Whats most amazing is the dismissal of the fifth european cup. Ridiculous dig about it being lucky and winning on penalties. How the fuck did we get there in the first place with that squad? We beat mourinos chelsea, capellos juventus and ancelottis milan for fucks sake! A work of total genius by benitez that i for one will be eternally grateful for. Starting le tallec against juve always sticks in my mind (as it was the only time he was anything other than awful for us) as does the way we came out of the blocks that night making thuram and canavaro look like pub players, fucking great stuff.

I hope rafa never comes back, we do not deserve him, and he deserves better and while the club has been hijacked by cunts like aldo and the ex player cartel, which will have carra as a member soon, not to mention the experts within our fan base who saw rafa as the problem and not the solution,

I also think starting now that rafa by the time he retires will have won more trophies than liverpool football club in that same period. he already has the super coppa italiano, the world club championship to come, not to mention the league, the cup, and champions league after january so he is already on his way, and it's only been 3 months... and if people think that there is someone better out there then i am sure we will realise this over the next 10 years, but right now rafa, mourinho and ancelloti, are the top 3, fergie and wenger are closing on retirement and pep guardiola will not always have messi, and the spanish golden generation to call on but also he is not a man that has a plan b, or c, i do not think he will be have the same success elsewhere, imo... but hey we have no rafa so now we can win the league we should all be happy !!!

I hope rafa never comes back, we do not deserve him, and he deserves better and while the club has been hijacked by cunts like aldo and the ex player cartel, which will have carra as a member soon, not to mention the experts within our fan base who saw rafa as the problem and not the solution,

I also think starting now that rafa by the time he retires will have won more trophies than liverpool football club in that same period. he already has the super coppa italiano, the world club championship to come, not to mention the league, the cup, and champions league after january so he is already on his way, and it's only been 3 months... and if people think that there is someone better out there then i am sure we will realise this over the next 10 years, but right now rafa, mourinho and ancelloti, are the top 3, fergie and wenger are closing on retirement and pep guardiola will not always have messi, and the spanish golden generation to call on but also he is not a man that has a plan b, or c, i do not think he will be have the same success elsewhere, imo... but hey we have no rafa so now we can win the league we should all be happy !!!

So much wrong in so few lines. Well done.

Either:

(a) go and support Inter

(b) man up and accept that the love of your life has left, and actually support our club

Jesus.

Wow. Just... wow...

I'll probably get jumped on no matter what I say about Rafa because of my feelings towards him, but this situation is stupid.

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that the squad he left was riddled with shite, he admitted himself at the end of last season we needed 6 or 7 (?) players added to the squad as it wasn't good enough.

But that doesn't mean that he can blamed for what's been served up this year, absolutely not. It's up to the man in charge to work with what he's got in an attempt to get the best out of them.

That didn't happen last season and Benitez paid the price for that. It was nobody's fault but his, just as - at the moment - the current situation is nobody's fault but Roy's.

If he can't work with what he's got and we can continue, in the main, to struggle or even (god forbid) we get worse; he should pay the price.

I don't agree. Both managers have had nothing but trouble to deal with within the club over the past 3 seasons. Benitez got 7th while his best players wanted away and one could argue that at least 4 managers above him had stronger clubs behind them with money to spend if asked.

Roy, a less talented manager (pretty much a fact) hasn't so far got to grips with the weakened squad that Rafa left him after having to make money for 3 windows. He's also had to deal with the boardroom mess going on behind him. Is said he should get more time if he got 6 points and now I'll stick to that.

There's no way you can blame the managers alone for the state of the team this season or last. Top managers weren't lining up to replace Rafa.

Sounds about right to me. Not sure why anyone would jump on you for this.

BBC Sport - Football - Rafael Benitez reborn with Inter Milan in Serie A

This is a great article for me. The part about being an excellent coach and the players all knowing what the other is doing, but not having an eye for a player. Spot on.

It is as good an article as I have seen as it is one of the very few I have seen without a noticeable pro or anti Rafa .

My stance is that I would have given Rafa another season but wasn't massively upset he had gone by the end , but am disappointed at the new incumbent.

Rafa has just come out fighting with Hodgson.

Had a pop at his interviews, saying they get worse with each one.

It made laugh, it is petty of course but did Roy think that Rafa would just sit there and take it.

Also pointed out he brought Kenny back for a specific role and Purslow gave him another one.

It was on 5Live by the way.