You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Owen - Horrible, Judas Twat

Carradona

All the quotes are in here. Sky ALWAYS report stuff as if has been said to The Sun. Thats why Sky is a massive piece of shit.

Michael Owen insists he's still good enough for Manchester United | Football | The Guardian

Michael Owen insists he's still good enough for Manchester United

The Manchester United striker admits age and injuries have taken their toll but he remains determined to go out at the top

Daniel Taylor

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 27 October 2010 22.55 BST

Article history

'I never thought I would start every game when I joined the club. Honestly, I've loved it here,' says Michael Owen of Manchester United. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA

The tone was set on the opening night of the season. The first game is always a special day for football people. But when Sir Alex Ferguson announced his team, for one person in the Manchester United dressing room, there was nothing but crushing disappointment. Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov were in from the start; fair enough. Javier Hernández, the new signing, and Federico Macheda were among the substitutes, but there was no room for Michael Owen – no place in the 18 for the man once regarded as the most devastating finisher in the sport.

He has grown wearily accustomed to watching football in a club suit, but it never gets easier. In total, he has made only six starts for Manchester United in the Premier League, and 14 in total, since moving from Newcastle United 16 months ago. They are the kind of statistics to prompt legitimate questions of whether this is a man being shunted to the edges. But Owen insists he is settled, that he wants to stay and will get more job satisfaction from the odd game at Old Trafford than he would, say, from playing regularly for a club in the bottom half of the league.

Two months away from turning 31, he is also acutely aware that leaving United would mean his career heading one way: down. Owen had a miserable time at Newcastle. He will always be grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for offering him another chance to win a league winners' medal when the rest of English football had virtually turned its back on him, and there is only one moment when he expresses anything remotely approaching dissatisfaction with his current employer.

It is when he is asked why Ferguson has been so reluctant to partner him with Rooney when it once worked so well for England. His body language changes immediately: guarded, wary, looking for the right words. He knows the answer, he says, because the manager has explained it to him, but he does not feel like he should talk about it. Later, he adds to the intrigue by saying it is not a tactical decision, though he will not be pushed further.

Ferguson's preference is for Rooney to partner Berbatov, though Hernández's blistering form is threatening the order, while he is unwavering in his belief that the 19-year-old Federico Macheda will eventually be a hero of Old Trafford. Owen now seems to be fifth in line, regardless of all those goals from a glorious past.

The injuries, by his own admission, have taken their toll. "They had taken something away by the time I was 21, to be honest. At 18 to 20, I was probably one of the quickest things around, at the peak of my powers. But what can you do? I can play different ways now. I can link play better now, I can do things I couldn't do when I was younger. And you never lose the instinct of being a goalscorer, of knowing where the ball is going to drop. It can just take a bit longer to get into that position now."

In January he would be six months from the end of his contract and free to speak to other clubs. "It's a question for the manager really, but if you ask my opinion I would love to stay. I never thought I would start every game when I joined the club and I have never complained about anything.

"Honestly, I've loved it here. I signed a two-year contract, I'm only 60% into that and hopefully we will talk [about extending it] before the end of the season."

Gérard Houllier, his former manager at Liverpool, is said to be keen to take him to Aston Villa. Liverpool, too, have been linked with their former player. There would be no shortage of potential suitors but Owen feels Old Trafford is the sort of place where he belongs.

"I won't drop down the leagues and whether I would even want to drop down to a poorer Premier League team … I don't know. Yes, I could score goals, but I would probably get less opportunities and less enjoyment.

"I think I'd rather play less and train with top players, rather than playing every minute of every game, getting three or four touches and not enjoying it."

There have been difficult moments with United, though. The time, for example, when he scored a hat-trick at Wolsfburg in the Champions League but was dropped for the next match.

"But I'm 30, I have been around and I understand how it works. I am not going to kid myself because I know that if I were fit and scored a hat-trick in the next two or three games, Wayne would still come back into the team when he is fit again. I know I am not as good as him. Maybe 10 years ago you could argue I was – but not now.

"This season, too, I scored two against Scunthorpe [in the Carling Cup]. The next game I was on the bench but came on and scored and then the next game we played, at Valencia, we used three strikers [even with Rooney left at home] and I was an unused sub."

Owen comes armed with his own statistic, one that says he has scored in every 111 minutes he has been on the pitch. Hernández is the only other striker at Old Trafford with a more prolific record.

"He's a goalscorer; you can see it in his eyes," Owen, an ambassador for BT Chat for Children, says of the Mexican. "It's hard to explain this without fear of it being taken the wrong way, but it's still early days, and who knows what will happen? But he's got something. He knows how to score goals, he knows how to get in the positions."

Does he remind him of anyone? "Myself, probably."

Previous interviews with Owen would always lead in the direction of talking about England and whether he felt he could get back into Fabio Capello's plans. "It is probably a reflection on Owen's lack of minutes at United that his status as an international footballer is prefixed by the word "former" these days, even though he is nearly three years younger than England's latest cap, Kevin Davies.

This interview finishes on a subject that makes him wince far more than talk of his game-time: his hamstring. On Friday, in the last minute of training, Owen attempted a back-heel to John O'Shea and felt a sharp, familiar pain. He will be out for four weeks, potentially missing seven games. "I just want to get fit again and playing and I'm sure I can score goals at this level for a long time."

Michael Owen is supporting BT Chat for Children. On 12 November BT will donate 1p for every landline phone call made and 25p for every directory assistance call made to BBC Children in Need. For more information visit BT: broadband, TV, phone, home & business

I dunno... He was pretty low in my books before he signed with them.

With the way he wound down his contract etc he had eroded a lot of the goodwill he had with LFC fans, myself included. At that stage it was hard to still not respect him for what he done at the club, especially the 01 FA cup final. After he signed for that lot and the subsequent rimming of Ferguson really made me hate him. Now I dont care for what he done for us, he is a manc cunt and always will be.

As has been said before, he will be one of a very few football players who will be disliked by the fans of every team he played for.

F365's mediawatch said it well about this:

Scoop

The Sun were terribly proud of themselves this morning with their big Michael Owen interview.

'We get all the BIG interviews' brags the paper, as if they've arranged this one through plant pots on window sills and marks in the corner of the New York Times.

However, Mickey was all over the place yesterday, promoting a BT/Comic Relief initiative, and for those that are unfamiliar with how these things work, this basically involves whoever is doing the PR for the charity calling up and offering ten minutes with their man in exchange for a plug for the charity. Hardly Woodward and Bernstein.

Which is presumably why quotes identical to the ones The Sun dug out so brilliantly appear in The Guardian and The Daily Mail this morning.

Football365 | Mediawatch | The Page That Thought It Knew Ye, Mary Jean

he's still a twat, mind.

i hate him,with a passion in my heart.when i see him play in a manc jersey i fucking hate him a little bit more.i never wish injuries on players but i hope he shatters his fucking leg and never plays football again.

i dont repect him as a footballer or a person and if he croaked it tonight i wouldnt even blink a fucking eyelid!!

Nothing better than a selfish bastard getting what he deserves. The way he ran down his contract and left in 2004 reeked of a man who thought he was better than us. It must have stuck in his throat watching Istanbul, also knowing that his career effectively ended in 2004 at the age of just 24

158 goals for LFC in 6 years, most of his England goals as well during this time

56 for everyone else in 6 years, relegated to BT advert using 'non-world cup' 'Stars'

Owen wouldn't deal with the S*n. As with so many other instances, it's an "exclusive" in about 10 papers. Owen is nothing to me now. I defended him at Real and at Newcastle as I didn't agree that he particularly shafted us when he left, but when he joined the Mancs he ended any affection I had for him, but he wouldn't sell a story direct to the S*n.

Guest ShoePiss

There's a thread like this on here every 3 to 4 months and always goes like this

original poster outrage

repeat by contributors

calm pragmatic response from some

x didn't talk to the scum but they're probably still cunts

end the thread