You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ashes 2010/11

RobbieOR

Who will win the Ashes?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Ashes?

• Australia
    • England
    • Draw (England will thus retain the Ashes)

Shane Warne: I'm flattered that people want me to return in the Ashes for Australia, but I'd go for Michael Beer

Article by Shane Warne

These are uncharted waters for Australia. This is the first time England have beaten them by an innings in Australia for 24 years. That is a long, long time and England have a hell of a reason to celebrate and be excited.

It seems like it is a real role reversal. Both sides have been pretty even for some time, but now England look like the better team and they have proved they are not scared of Australia.

This performance here proves that all the talk before the Ashes was not a phoney war. They are a team of 11 believers and they are playing with confidence and passion. They believe they have got what it takes to beat Australia in Australia.

This is crunch time for my old team. They are 1-0 down and have to make some hard decisions about all parts of their game - their bowling, their batting and their plans.

They have to crack the question of how are we going to beat England, but they have little time to find the formula.

It will be very hard for Australia to win the series even if they draw in Perth. If England win at the Waca they will be unstoppable, and could win three or four nil, which would be an unbelievable result.

But do not look too far ahead if you are an England fan, because I know Australia will fight. They showed guts and fight in the second innings at Adelaide, and let’s just see what happens. The next few days will be an interesting time to see what Australia decide to do.

They need to work out a way of getting 20 wickets and they need to find a leader of the attack. Who is that? No one springs to mind at the moment, but making inroads into that top order is crucial and something that has been absent from this current side.

Spin-bowling options are difficult. Xavier Doherty has not had an ideal situation to come in and play two Test matches. He has been behind the eight ball every time so it is very hard if they say, “Sorry, you are out mate”. He was obviously a Ricky Ponting selection. He wanted him in, but given the situation of the series, Australia may need to go with an experienced player.

We are now back to what I said before the series started. Where do they go? Do they opt for Nathan Hauritz or a wrist-spinner like Steve Smith? Do they play two spinners or none at all and prepare a green, grassy wicket in Perth? That would be a big gamble against England’s seam attack. The pitch is not fast and bouncy these days, so maybe you get a local guy who knows the Perth conditions, like left-arm spinner Michael Beer. Sometimes horses for courses works. Australia have to explore all options and win this next match to get back in this series. They need to look at all avenues and go all out for a win.

There has been a bit written in Australia and people have been asking me about making a comeback. All I can say is that it is very flattering to hear those words.

It must be tough for Ricky Ponting at the moment. Leading a losing team and being the only captain who could lose three Ashes series in the modern era is hard for such a great player. Let’s hope he can get back in the runs in Perth, which will help his cause and Australia’s.

He now has to listen to his players in the team, the selectors and the coach. They have to ask if they have got everything right and what can we do better? It is important to listen to the guys around the team and try to lift everyone.

This is not the time to blood youngsters or panic. If Australia lose this series badly then that is the time to reassess everything and say, “Right, it is back to the drawing board”. Then they can give three or four youngsters a go, with four or five experienced players, and try to rectify things.

Australia might have to put up with a bit of pain and lose a few Tests over a period of a few years, but they will not be any the worse for it. That is still a while away and would only happen if they get a real thumping by England.

At the moment it is hard to try to find anything positive for Australia, but Michael Clarke looks back to the form he has been in for the last

18-24 months. He is batting beautifully again. Mike Hussey still looks good. Ryan Harris bowled pretty well given the conditions in Adelaide, the heat and the wicket.

Australia’s tail is a worry. It looks six out, all out, and the fielding has to improve. A lot of the things we are saying about Australia now it seems we used to say about England all the time.

We have to give England credit. They look really good. They are well-planned, hungry and up for it. They have good plans in place and good tactics to each batsman. England also look a lot more patient with their plans. Australia appear as if they are searching and hopeful rather than believing.

England’s preparation for the series was spot on and now the only thing they have to worry about is replacing Stuart Broad.

I know England rate Ajmal Shahzad from Yorkshire, but I think they will go for a like-for-like replacement in Chris Tremlett, because of his height and pace.

They might consider playing Tim Bresnan to strengthen their batting but with their top order playing so well they should go with the best bowler and Tremlett is a dangerous bowler who I said before this series has all the talent to be among the best in the world.

England should not think about batting Australia out of the series and playing a safe game. They have got to stay positive and win, and I think they will concentrate on doing that.

Shane Warne: I'm flattered that people want me to return in the Ashes for Australia, but I'd go for Michael Beer - Telegraph

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair enough assessment from Warne, I think. Blooding youngsters left, right and centre in a panicky manner to exact retribution for poor performances will simply pile the pressure on newer, younger faces. If England continue to dominate, they risk setting a new generation off on a dodgy footing.

He doesn't exactly rule out the comeback as well! Still, if we've got them that scared that they're looking to former legends (and I still think Warne could contribute, how much so I don't really know) to lead them into the fray again then we're doing something right. Very right.

I'd like Warne to come back just for entertainment value, but I fear it wouldn't work out for Oz. I also think it's the wrong decision for their team for years to come.

Agree with all of what you said there.

I seriously didn't think it was on the cards at all before reading that article. I still don't but there are some very interesting comments in there and I'm far less sure of it than I was yesterday. I'm not saying he's touting himself about for a recall or anything but if the selectors were thinking of approaching him, he's saying all the right things.

Even so, I think Warne himself understands the dynamics of what's going on here, the changing of the guard and the resulting shift in power between England and Australia, sufficiently well to recognise that although his return might help them to get back into the series, it would in some ways be a bigger blow to them long term than losing it because it would be a backward step.

It would hardly be a confidence booster for Hauritz and Doherty either and unless some wonderkid appears on the scene they're going to be looking at broadly the same pool of players for the next series.

Half of me is thinking "cool, there's a tiny chance that Warne might come back", the other half is thinking "shit, there's a tiny chance that Warne might come back". Entertainment is great right up to the point that you're 94/7 and praying that Jimmy Anderson can pull an innings out for you.

Agree with all of what you said there.

I seriously didn't think it was on the cards at all before reading that article. I still don't but there are some very interesting comments in there and I'm far less sure of it than I was yesterday. I'm not saying he's touting himself about for a recall or anything but if the selectors were thinking of approaching him, he's saying all the right things.

Even so, I think Warne himself understands the dynamics of what's going on here, the changing of the guard and the resulting shift in power between England and Australia, sufficiently well to recognise that although his return might help them to get back into the series, it would in some ways be a bigger blow to them long term than losing it because it would be a backward step.

It would hardly be a confidence booster for Hauritz and Doherty either and unless some wonderkid appears on the scene they're going to be looking at broadly the same pool of players for the next series.

Half of me is thinking "cool, there's a tiny chance that Warne might come back", the other half is thinking "shit, there's a tiny chance that Warne might come back". Entertainment is great right up to the point that you're 94/7 and praying that Jimmy Anderson can pull an innings out for you.

He wont have that much of an impact. When he was at his peak he had players like McGrath and Lee up the other end bowling maidens and letting pressure build up and he's bowl a ball that the batsman would try to hit, Or would sit too deep and get plum LBW. If he was to come back into this Australian side who is going to bowl them maidens down the other end? None of the other bowlers are. He'd still take wickets but a bowling attack isnt made up of one person, its exactly what its name suggests it is. Im not suggesting that he was overrated by the way, im saying that having McGrath down the other end gave him an excellent advantage and the fact he would always nearly have a 500 run lead to defend. The current Australian team wouldnt be able to provide that.

Seems they are trying to finance a way back for him:

Bring Back Warne!

Save Oz, Shane: Desperate Aussie fans offer Warne $1m to come out of retirement

Australia’s desperation to revive their Ashes hopes became clear yesterday with a campaign for Shane Warne to make a comeback three years after retiring from Test cricket.

The clamour for the leg-spinning legend to return has reached fever pitch with a group of Queensland businessmen offering the 41-year-old, who took 708 Test wickets, A$1million (about £620,000) to make himself available for the remaining three Tests, starting with Perth next week.

A website - bringbackwarne.com - has also been launched in Australia with the message ‘to bring back the Ashes we need Warne’.

Andy Flower, the England team director, reacted with bemusement to the prospect of Warne being tempted out of retirement, saying: ‘I would think that’s a joke. Shane has retired from international cricket. I’ve heard how much he earns and I would have thought they would have to make a bigger contribution than that.’

Warne, now a commentator, chat show host and a poker player, did little to quash the speculation over a comeback when he flew into London yesterday for promotional work.

He tweeted on his arrival: ‘Just landed in London, it’s freezing and was welcomed by press and photographers asking am I making a comeback? What have I missed ???’

He acknowledged in his Daily Telegraph column that speculation was mounting, particularly in Australia where there are calls for him to replace under-fire Ricky Ponting as captain.

‘There has been a bit written in Australia and people have been asking me about making a comeback,’ Warne said. ‘All I can say is that it is very flattering to hear those words.’

While commentating during England’s innings victory in the second Test in Adelaide, he admitted he could never say never about making a comeback and some bookmakers are offering odds as short as 6-1 that Warne will play in at least one of the remaining Tests.

Darren Lehmann, one of Warne’s friends and former team-mates, backed him if he does return and said: ‘He would have to be fit obviously but he’s a genius, he could do anything.’

This is not the first time Warne has indicated a willingness to help Australia out in a crisis. Ahead of their losing 2009 Ashes series in England, Warne had suggested he would answer an SOS call from Ponting.

He said at the time: ‘If Australia really needed me and there was no-one else around and Ricky thought I could do the job, you would weigh up the options.

‘If there were no other spinners around and Ricky came out and said, “Mate, can you please help us out for this one-off tour, we need you”, that is something I would weigh up.’

'Former England captain Andrew Flintoff is hoping his former opponent decides to play again. He also told an Australian newspaper: ‘I’d love to see Warnie play again, it would be unbelievable.

'Warne’s aura would bring something to the side. He’d make a difference in the dressing room. They’re missing that bloke to give the rest confidence - for 15 years, the guy who did that was Shane Warne.’

It is a fanciful notion, of course - and one that Shane Warne must be enjoying reading about - but the idea of him coming out of retirement to play in the Ashes is ridiculous.

The greatest bowler of them all may look fit and has turned his arm over for Rajasthan in the Indian Premier League over the last three years, but there is a huge gulf between Twenty20 cricket and playing in the biggest Test series of them all.

Warne would clearly still be better than any other spinner Australia could throw into the battle, but he knows his prospects of dominating England’s batsmen as he did in the past would be remote after four years in Test retirement.

Why would Warne risk spoiling his legacy and his reputation by being smashed all around his beloved Melbourne Cricket Ground, where he has enjoyed so many momentous moments?

The fact he has not completely ruled out the idea is surely just Warne being mischievous — he will be enjoying the speculation and sees no reason to put an end to it.

Worldwide appealAustralia fans are doing their bit to match the efforts of the Queensland businessmen by launching a fund-raising website aimed at persuading Warne to come out of retirement.

In the wake of Australia’s second Test mauling in Adelaide, Bring Back Warne! went live and is encouraging supporters to donate towards a rescue fund that will be offered to Warne in the hope of convincing the King of Spin to don the baggy green again and save their Ashes dream.

On Wednesday night, the fund stood at nearly 4,000 Australian dollars (£2,480), with A$523 (£324) being the highest single donation.

Should Warne refuse the offer to make his return, all contributions will be refunded by the website.

warneq.jpg

THE ASHES 2010: Save Oz, Shane: Desperate Aussie fans offer Warne one million | Mail Online

He wont have that much of an impact. When he was at his peak he had players like McGrath and Lee up the other end bowling maidens and letting pressure build up and he's bowl a ball that the batsman would try to hit, Or would sit too deep and get plum LBW. If he was to come back into this Australian side who is going to bowl them maidens down the other end? None of the other bowlers are. He'd still take wickets but a bowling attack isnt made up of one person, its exactly what its name suggests it is. Im not suggesting that he was overrated by the way, im saying that having McGrath down the other end gave him an excellent advantage and the fact he would always nearly have a 500 run lead to defend. The current Australian team wouldnt be able to provide that.

First off, just a general point to the forum - I'm not getting obsessed with this idea of a Warne return at all, I just find it interesting to speculate about it and I remain fairly sure that speculation is all it will ever be.

Now, as far as tactical analysis goes you're right of course. It's interesting that you mentioned Lee there actually because I was only saying to a mate the other day that if any of the recent retirees were going to make a return my money would have been on Lee ahead of Warne. I've always thought he only retired when he did because everybody else was doing it, he's only 34 now.

Having the likes of McGrath and Lee in the attack was obviously a huge deal for Warne, it was the whole package of those bowlers that used to be so terrifying along with the carefully crafted pantomime of oohs and aahs from the close fielders with every delivery he sent down, all of it designed to strike terror into the batsman and have him think that every ball was a gnat's dick away from undoing him. It's a team game when all's said and done.

Still, there's no doubt in my mind that his return would immediately lift the confidence of the other bowlers in the side - it's the flip side of what you mentioned and for someone like Johnson for example, who will surely be brought back into the attack for the third test, it could be just the mental boost that he needs to get his game back on track. That in turn would go some way to addressing the issue of support.

One other important issue for Australia is the scores we've been putting on. Second test we hit Doherty for 158 off 27 overs with the loss of 1 wicket. I find it inconceivable that we'd be scoring like that off Warne even if Dougie Bollinger's granny was bowling down the other end and keeping our totals down is one of the obvious strategies for the Aussies to focus on - we need to put them in before we can bowl them out so if they can't take our wickets, the next obvious step is for them to try to keep our run rate down as much as possible and give themselves some kind of chance of catching us.

You need to bear in mind here that Punter has contributed virtually nothing with the bat so far - if he finds some form you can probably look at another 50-75 runs on their totals, whilst we've lost an important cog in our own bowling attack with Broad being out, as well as a useful tail end batsman. On their own, neither of those factors would have been enough to make any difference to a result like Adelaide but they're issues that we need to be aware of.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a Warne return would suddenly recreate the Australian side of five years ago, those days are gone forever, but I don't think there can be much doubt that it would significantly improve both the overall quaility and the morale of the current side.

Even if this series did give him a last hurrah though, it wouldn't make any difference at all to the longer term rebuilding job they've got on their hands which on current evidence looks similar to the one New Orleans faced after the floods.

(Edit)

Just read that article above. This section sums it up well for me:

It is a fanciful notion, of course - and one that Shane Warne must be enjoying reading about - but the idea of him coming out of retirement to play in the Ashes is ridiculous.

The greatest bowler of them all may look fit and has turned his arm over for Rajasthan in the Indian Premier League over the last three years, but there is a huge gulf between Twenty20 cricket and playing in the biggest Test series of them all.

Warne would clearly still be better than any other spinner Australia could throw into the battle, but he knows his prospects of dominating England’s batsmen as he did in the past would be remote after four years in Test retirement.

Why would Warne risk spoiling his legacy and his reputation by being smashed all around his beloved Melbourne Cricket Ground, where he has enjoyed so many momentous moments?

The whole thing is spot on, the very idea of him making a return after so long does seem ridiculous but look at the bit in bold. The only question for the selectors is whether they're going to pick a spinner at all (which is a question I think the Aussies need to give some serious time to, radical though it might seem) because if they are going to pick one surely the only choice they can then make is the best spinner available.

If Warne makes himself available for selection again, he's it and there's no avoiding that fact.

First off, just a general point to the forum - I'm not getting obsessed with this idea of a Warne return at all, I just find it interesting to speculate about it and I remain fairly sure that speculation is all it will ever be.

Now, as far as tactical analysis goes you're right of course. It's interesting that you mentioned Lee there actually because I was only saying to a mate the other day that if any of the recent retirees were going to make a return my money would have been on Lee ahead of Warne. I've always thought he only retired when he did because everybody else was doing it, he's only 34 now.

Having the likes of McGrath and Lee in the attack was obviously a huge deal for Warne, it was the whole package of those bowlers that used to be so terrifying along with the carefully crafted pantomime of oohs and aahs from the close fielders with every delivery he sent down, all of it designed to strike terror into the batsman and have him think that every ball was a gnat's dick away from undoing him. It's a team game when all's said and done.

Still, there's no doubt in my mind that his return would immediately lift the confidence of the other bowlers in the side - it's the flip side of what you mentioned and for someone like Johnson for example, who will surely be brought back into the attack for the third test, it could be just the mental boost that he needs to get his game back on track. That in turn would go some way to addressing the issue of support.

One other important issue for Australia is the scores we've been putting on. Second test we hit Doherty for 158 off 27 overs with the loss of 1 wicket. I find it inconceivable that we'd be scoring like that off Warne even if Dougie Bollinger's granny was bowling down the other end and keeping our totals down is one of the obvious strategies for the Aussies to focus on - we need to put them in before we can bowl them out so if they can't take our wickets, the next obvious step is for them to try to keep our run rate down as much as possible and give themselves some kind of chance of catching us.

You need to bear in mind here that Punter has contributed virtually nothing with the bat so far - if he finds some form you can probably look at another 50-75 runs on their totals, whilst we've lost an important cog in our own bowling attack with Broad being out, as well as a useful tail end batsman. On their own, neither of those factors would have been enough to make any difference to a result like Adelaide but they're issues that we need to be aware of.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a Warne return would suddenly recreate the Australian side of five years ago, those days are gone forever, but I don't think there can be much doubt that it would significantly improve both the overall quaility and the morale of the current side.

Even if this series did give him a last hurrah though, it wouldn't make any difference at all to the longer term rebuilding job they've got on their hands which on current evidence looks similar to the one New Orleans faced after the floods.

Lee retired because of injury. he was injured just before the last Ashes in England, and he was advised to retire.

Thats a good post, mate. Its hard to argue any of it and most of it is true.

All this Warne talk is silly, it's never going to happen and it probably shouldn't happen. He's been away from test cricket for a while now.

I thought he could of gone on a few more years but he made his choice, he went out on a high and that is that. Now someone needs to step up and take his place, I don't see enough hunger and fight from the current crop. Back when we were setting winning records all the domestic players were working their tales off to try and break into the team, maybe now it's a bit easier now so the hunger isn't as strong I don't know.

Get fucking Hauritz back in, I never though he was that great but he took wickets and he's the best option we have I believe. Steve Smith is an ok bowler and he is a decent batter but Hauritz is the better bowler he also just made 146 with the bat in a domestic game. It was a huge mistake from the selectors not to pick him from the start.

Stuart Clarke has disappeared off the radar also, I though he was the closest thing to a McGrath replacement. The selectors decided to go for some younger guys to try and build for the future but they haven't been up to it lately.

The Aussies have gone for another comedy spinner no-one's ever heard of. Doherty dropped and replaced by Michael Beer (good name mind you). He's only played 5 first class matches in his life (aged 26) with 16 wickets at an average of 40.

Also North is out, replaced by Steve Smith (not very good leggie, decent-ish batter), Doug the Rug is out, and Johnson and Hilfenhaus are back in. So bowlers will be Harris, Siddle, then two out of Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Beer.

Phil Hughes is also back, replacing Katich, he's only averaging 20 odd in state games this season.

England's practice match at the MCG against Victoria not going so well. Vics are 186 for 2, wicket each for Bresnan and Panesar.

I don't see why Warne would have to bowl so many overs.

All he has to do is be a strike bowler taking wickets, which he is still capable of doing.

They can pick four other bowlers - three seemers and Hauritz in my opinion, then they also have Watson who can bowl. That is plenty of options and overs. With their wicket keeper and Watson basically two all rounders, they can afford to play another bowler if they want to take 20 wickets.

Keep Warne fresh let him bowl in five over spells and take wickets, breaking up partnerships.

I have never heard of this Beer guy, I'm shocked no Hauritz he took a 5 for at the WACA just the other week.

No wonder, 26 and he only made his first class debut in October.

For anyone that wants a chuckle, here's his stats:

Michael Beer | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

This was the chap that Warne mentioned as a possibility for the third test because he knows the ground.

Michael Beer surprised at Test call-up

ESPNcricinfo staff, December 11, 2010

Michael Beer's selection for the third Test in Perth was a shock to everyone in Australian cricket - not least to Beer himself. Having played only five first-class matches since his debut in October, Beer has suddenly found himself in line to become Australia's 418th Test cricketer, as the selectors search for a way to blunt England's powerful batting line-up.

It has been a sharp rise for a man who until last summer was playing club cricket in Melbourne, working at Puma and hoping to find a way into a Victorian team that already featured the spinners Bryce McGain and Jon Holland. Beer is the biggest bolter Australia's selectors have chosen since Peter Taylor, the offspinner, who bowled Australia to victory in Sydney in 1986-87 having played six previous first-class matches.

"I was a little bit surprised and I don't think it really sank in until I rang my parents and actually blurted it out myself and thought hang on, what's going on here?'" Beer said. "Twelve months ago I probably wasn't a professional cricketer, that's in all facets, and then WA gave me the opportunity under Mickey Arthur and they've been really great and backed me and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

"The move to Perth has been brilliant for me. It definitely created a lot of opportunities and I've really enjoyed playing with the Warriors. I love it and the deck's good. I love bowling on it."

A tall left-armer, Beer has impressed Arthur, his state coach, with his competitiveness, despite having not taken more than three wickets in an innings at state level. "He has a way to go. He is young in the game, but in a year's time he will be sensational," Arthur said. "He will be able to handle anything international cricket can throw at him."

The challenge for Beer is to ensure that in a year's time - or in a month's time - he has not become yet another in Australia's long list of discarded spinners. If he debuts at the WACA, he will be the tenth slow bowler Australia have used in Tests since the retirement of Shane Warne and No. 9, the newly-axed Xavier Doherty, believes the selectors are panicking.

"There is probably a little bit of panic there, but it is only a short series," Doherty told the Mercury. "We've got to turn it around pretty quickly. In an ideal world, I would have liked a few more chances. You have seen how many spinners they have used over the last couple of years, so I'm sure the selectors aren't quite sure who the next person is. But I'm sure if I am given another chance, I can certainly make an impact.

"I started to feel the pressure. Once I started leaking a few boundaries instead of getting back to the basics of what I learnt in Shield cricket over the last couple of years, I probably went searching for a few more wickets and probably produced a few more bad balls. It cuts me pretty deep to know I didn't put in my best performance in Adelaide and knowing I'm a better bowler than that."

Link

For what it's worth, I was expecting Hauritz to get a recall.

Fuck the *ball, this is going to be the best bit of sport this winter.

Perth too which means its a later start UK time, so you can get up at not-too-ungodly-an-hour and get a couple of hours in before work.

Can see the Aussies, despite their deficiencies, putting up a fight in this one. Should make for a belting test match.