You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ashes 2010/11

RobbieOR

Who will win the Ashes?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Ashes?

• Australia
    • England
    • Draw (England will thus retain the Ashes)

So. Cook is breaking records left right and centre for England.

Do the very well informed cricketing gods of TLW think Cook will go on to become the first player since Don Bradman in 1934, to hit back to back double hundreds?

Graeme Smith, before anyone jumps in, did hit 277 and 259 against England in 2003 - but they were sandwiched by an 85 - so were not consecutive innings.

Will he do it?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So. Cook is breaking records left right and centre for England.

Do the very well informed cricketing gods of TLW think Cook will go on to become the first player since Don Bradman in 1934, to hit back to back double hundreds?

Graeme Smith, before anyone jumps in, did hit 277 and 259 against England in 2003 - but they were sandwiched by an 85 - so were not consecutive innings.

Will he do it?

I think Cook can do it, plenty of time and his form is right. Just a case of seeing off a difficult morning period with a newish ball. Other than that, fatigue you'd imagine might be a barrier. But I'd back him to do it.

Samaraweera did a double test century against Pakistan last year, but his was each first innings. I was also at Edgbaston the day Smith got his 277, bastard.

Let's go into fantasy land now. If you were selecting the Aussie side for the 3rd test, regardless of the outcome of this test, who would you have representing the Green & Gold in Perth?

If I was Australian I would start by picking Smith of Xavier Doherty - who I can't believe got selected looking at his first class stats over a 10 year period. Smith is a good batsman at least and then between him and North, who should bowl more in my opinion, I don't think you are weakening the spin department.

Cook could break all kinds of records in this series if he stays fit and in form. Tempting fate here, but Australia have rarely even looked like getting him out!

The thing that really got me about Cook was that at the end of his second innings in Brisbane he looked like he had only been out there for a session.

I just got back from Oz this week. I watched the first test there and kept an eye on the papers. Even before it had kicked off, its fair to say there was a fair amount of vitriol being directed at their boys. I'd say as an Aussie, you probably know its bad when your press starts turning against you.

LFD (I think) remarked that this was all down to the great Australians retiring, and while that obviously has an impact (they were arguably the greatest ever team to play the game for a while) I think England's revival needs to be given a little more credit. To say some of the saps from the 90's would easily roll over today's Australia detracts from England 2010. Anyone watching English cricket for the last 15-20 years wouldn't recognise today's team. When 1 wicket falls 5 more don't invariably follow. When luck conspires against them they don't retreat. They take the unlikely catches and run outs. Collectively, they have bollocks.

Having more or less lost interest in football (as recent MF/FF inactivity will attest) this ashes series is just what is needed. Its still going to be close, because even when the talent isn't quite there, Australia will fight. 1...1 is my prediciton. Its a pleasant change watching English sportsmen who aren't all complete cunts.

Guest PurpleNose

I'm not convinced our players are any better technically than 10/15 years ago. The change is in the mentality, belief, confidence, and lack of fractions within the squad.

Obviously Hussain not being captain is a massive plus to any team.

Wierdly... there's a fair bit of pressure on Colly to score now...

edit: well not score, but to stay stoic as ever and be a good foil for KP, still if he walks with less than a 50 he'll stick out like a sore thumb. Even then...

So then everyone... question of the day, Better captain. Vaughan or Strauss?

I just got back from Oz this week. I watched the first test there and kept an eye on the papers. Even before it had kicked off, its fair to say there was a fair amount of vitriol being directed at their boys. I'd say as an Aussie, you probably know its bad when your press starts turning against you.

LFD (I think) remarked that this was all down to the great Australians retiring, and while that obviously has an impact (they were arguably the greatest ever team to play the game for a while) I think England's revival needs to be given a little more credit. To say some of the saps from the 90's would easily roll over today's Australia detracts from England 2010. Anyone watching English cricket for the last 15-20 years wouldn't recognise today's team. When 1 wicket falls 5 more don't invariably follow. When luck conspires against them they don't retreat. They take the unlikely catches and run outs. Collectively, they have bollocks.

Having more or less lost interest in football (as recent MF/FF inactivity will attest) this ashes series is just what is needed. Its still going to be close, because even when the talent isn't quite there, Australia will fight. 1...1 is my prediciton. Its a pleasant change watching English sportsmen who aren't all complete cunts.

Good post hammy. I've been quite impressed with this England side. And, although Im not an Englishman myself I quite like this England team.

Guest PurpleNose

Ponting has given up.

Mike Brearley couldn't get that rabble of mongs to take a wicket.

Australia are utterly clueless. Needs a proper rebuild, fucking off the 30 year old journeyman (where have we heard that before?), and investing time and money into the youth.

I've faced better bowling attacks.