You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running Machines

Rico1304

I'm a far too infrequent user of a gym, but every time I do go I see loads of mongs with the incline set to max, speed set to a fast walk, pounding away but at the same time holding onto the handles of the machine. As I see it they are pulling themselves along and not getting any benefit at all, am I wrong?

Last night there was a bloke doing exactly as I've described who needed to change his music on his iPod, so he lets go of the handles, immediately has to change from a walk to a jog to keep up with the pace. As soon as he's done switching his music he grabs the handles again and settles into a walk.

What I don't get is people just walking at a regular pace on a treadmill for a about 10 or 15 minutes.What's the fucking point! Walk to the bloody shops or somewhere and save yourself about 500quid a year.

No doubt rewarding themselves with a creamy bun and mars bar when finished as well.

I'm new to this gym thing, but aren't they maybe just doing warm up stuff? Also, why do you give a shit? Smacks of insecurity to be checking out what other people are doing in the gym.

No, I've noticed the same people doing it for 20-25 mins then quitting. Same in the pool, you get women standing in the water talking for 15 mins then getting out. You can be sure they are going home thinking they've done 40 lengths.

As for checking people out and being insecure, I have this weird thing that when my eyes are open, I observe what is going on around me, that leads me to think about what I've seen. It's more or less the same process that means we no longer live in caves and worship the moon.

My gym pass for the local spa type place expired on wedensday. I've never loathed signing up for 6 months up front so much in my life. Full of fucking knobs who i'd swear were covered in baby oil and not sweat. Perfect hair, tanned skin - the same type you see in clubs thinking they're gods gift, I'd rather do a corpse.

Or i could just be the only one in the world who when doing a work out has hair that wont stay in place, sweat dribbling down the side of my face and clothes sticking to my back? A fucking mess i look. Anyway, it's back to the local authority gym next week for me.

Oh and when on the running machines, the same ones always seem to go to he ones with the mirrors - i choose the only one with a view of the pool.

No, I've noticed the same people doing it for 20-25 mins then quitting. Same in the pool, you get women standing in the water talking for 15 mins then getting out. You can be sure they are going home thinking they've done 40 lengths.

As for checking people out and being insecure, I have this weird thing that when my eyes are open, I observe what is going on around me, that leads me to think about what I've seen. It's more or less the same process that means we no longer live in caves and worship the moon.

Observing and thinking are all well and good, but you are judging here rico, not worshipping the moon.

I'm new to this gym thing, but aren't they maybe just doing warm up stuff? Also, why do you give a shit? Smacks of insecurity to be checking out what other people are doing in the gym.

Oooh...sounds like a nerve has been touched. Maybe Noos warms up in his Lycra and leg warmers in the fashion described by the originating poster.

What I don't understand is why the pedals on the exercise bikes in Huyton leisure centre have got reflective strips on the backs.

What's that, to keep you safe from any cars that might come up behind you upstairs on a stationary bike?

They'll have lifejackets next to the rowing machines next.

If the conveyor belt is moving at X kmph, then the person on the conveyor belt will also need to be moving along that conveyor belt at X kmph. If they don't go at that speed they will come off the back or crash into the front. How they are using their body to travel at that speed doesn't really matter does it?

Personally I prefer doing sprint intervals. Twice the exercise in a quarter of the time.

If the conveyor belt is moving at X kmph, then the person on the conveyor belt will also need to be moving along that conveyor belt at X kmph. If they don't go at that speed they will come off the back or crash into the front. How they are using their body to travel at that speed doesn't really matter does it?

Personally I prefer doing sprint intervals. Twice the exercise in a quarter of the time.

The way to do it! Fartlek!

Exactly the same. Used to do long cardio runs but now focus only on interval sprints, as much more efficient and effective....with the body continuing to burn fat stores hours after you have stopped whilst with the fat zone cardio its for that specific window. Tend to do hill sprints and stairs.