You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, to what?

Pellegrini is 57, well travelled, and speaks fluent English. Adapting off the pitch would be no problem at all.

On the pitch? Well I think he's well aware our league is played at a more constant tempo than La Liga, and every South American league. He'll realise we have a handful (ok half a league full) of rugby teams.

His main strength, in my opinion, is the balance between the technical and physical side of the game he's managed to achieve with his teams. Villarreal played nice football, but they weren't soft.

I really don't think the time for adapting would be any longer than that of a manager who had managed other Premier League clubs.

People cite Juande Ramos, but I really think that was a pretty unique situation. Spurs were, and still are to some extent, a club full of English players, a lot of which are unwilling to change their ways. Ramos tried to change too much, and too soon.

I certainly won't be worrying about this if we do employ a manager who hasn't managed in England before.

I probably dont know enough fo him..hence the anxiety.

Just hope youre right.

Roy's deffo on his way. These new boys aren't hanging around. The one thing that worries me about both of these two managers we're being linked with is that they're not familiar with this league. Now I wouldn't be so arsed if we were higher up the table and had a stronger squad, but we're not and we haven't.

That was my point earlier today re relegation and a manager new to the league.

All well and good when the wheels are going round and the squad is strong.

None of this applies at the moment.

I happened to mention O'Neil as a means to ensure stability (what Hodgson was brought in for).

Turns out now it could be a matter of survival not stability.

A premiership rookie may not be what is required.

Surely Kenny has to be given the job.

He's the perfect fit in this situation.

Ive been watching Liverpool since 74 cup win.

This is the worst its ever been. No time for a premier league rookie.

I know he's lost the plot a bit but can't help feeling sorry for him. If our board had just picked the right person from the off he could've stayed at Fulham where he was respected by the fans and doing well.

It works both ways though....he didnt have to take the job and there always the chance it would turn sour.

It looks like John Henry has taken my advice, I wonder if he is going to pay me a consultancy fee?

Getting Kenny to advise on new manager and not be the new manager is the perfect way forward.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is an open latter to Liverpool Football Clubs fantastic and wonderful new owner John W Henry.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear John,

As a Liverpool fans since 1971 I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving our club. I have listened to what you and Tom Werner have had to say over the last couple of days and it’s very clear you are both very classy players in the best traditions of Liverpool football club and the type of directors we used to have prior to David Moores.

It’s clear you are aware of the great traditions of the so called Liverpool Way but there is one tradition that I think you need to change for the good of the club in the short and medium term and that is to replace the manager with almost immediate effect i.e. within the next two PL games. I will now try and explain why it is so important.

The people at the club who made the decision were not football people because if they were they could have seen Roy’s track record over the last 30 years and the way his teams play football to know that he will never make a winning successful manager at Anfield. The Legendry Kenny Dalglish even made himself available for the job when it became clear they were going to give the job to Hodgson as he could see the problems that were likely to occur. However Kenny is far too much of a professional person to let his real feeling be known in public.

I’d like to try and explain why the tactics Hodgson employs will never work at a big club. Basically in sports you have two ways of winning a match either by going out to win the game i.e. offensively or trying to stop the opposition winning i.e. defensively. Now when you are a small team with less resources a manager will try and use defensive tactics to stop the opposition however the best teams that win the title have an offensive set up and try and win the game and over the course of the season the best offensive teams get more points than the best defensive teams. One major reason for this is that you get 3 points for a win a and 1 point for a draw so an offensive team that wins 2 and loses one game will get more points than a defensive team that draws all 3 games.

So obviously being a far superior businessman to me I am sure you can see the benefits of choosing the right manager and I would humbly suggest that you use somebody like Kenny Dalglish to find the right manager for the club and let him recommend that person to you and hopefully you would accept his recommendation. The real problem you have at the club is there is nobody on the board that really understands purely football matters and this maybe something you may want to address.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and as a very concerned fan I hope you make the right decision that is in the best interests of our beloved club.

Assuring you of my best intentions at all times

Yours sincerely,

-----------------------------

Guest San Don

I couldnt do with Kenny's reputation being done in by some of the dullards who follow us if results didnt pick up straight away. The risk to his reputation is to great to ask him to risk it even though he'd jump at the chance.

I dont really go along with the argument that because we're near at the bottom of the league, a foreign manager would struggle.

Put any top manager in charge of a struggling team in any league, even one they havent managed in before and they'd improve the team. Its because they are very good managers.

I know he's lost the plot a bit but can't help feeling sorry for him. If our board had just picked the right person from the off he could've stayed at Fulham where he was respected by the fans and doing well.

Shit happens RP. That is why they get a massive mother fucking contract.

He will probably walk away with the same money Rafa walked away with. For a few months work.

And he will probably end up with Blackburn or Bolton in couple of years time.

I would be happy with either but Pellegrini would be the first choice for me.

My leaning would be towards Pellegrini as I've never been overly convinced by Rijkaard, but I have to profess that I talk from a position of relative ignorance as i can't claim to have followed the career of either slavishly.

My leaning would be towards Pellegrini as I've never been overly convinced by Rijkaard, but I have to profess that I talk from a position of relative ignorance as i can't claim to have followed the career of either slavishly.

One has one La Liga and a European Cup and the other has the second highest ever La Liga points total I lean towards Rijkaard because he is a proven winner.

So its already started, Pellgrini anyone ?

Manuel Pellegrini's agent reveals Liverpool FC manager talks > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Liverpool have approached Manuel Pellegrini about the possibility of replacing Roy Hodgson, according to the former Real Madrid manager's agent.

The 56-year-old met Anfield chiefs this summer to apply for the role of Rafael Benitez's successor before it was offered to then Fulham boss Hodgson.

Jesus Martinez, Pellegrini's agent, claims that there has been contact with Liverpool but that the current change of ownership to New England Sports Ventures (NESV) has stalled any progress over negotiations.

He said: "Pellegrini has had offers from clubs in Italy, but initially wanted to wait a bit to some better option. And Liverpool is a club that Manuel would like to manager.

"We had some contacts, but as the club is in the process of change, and no one knows who is boss, no progress on the topic."

Pellegrini was relieved of his duties at the Bernabeu Stadium in May after only amassing 96 points, which resulted in Los Blancos failing to wrestle the La Liga title from Barcleona's grip.

Former Nou Camp boss Frank Rijkaard remains the firm favourite to succeed under-fire Hodgson after resigning as Galatasaray manager earlier today, supposedly in anticipation of taking the reins on Merseyside.

One has one La Liga and a European Cup and the other has the second highest ever La Liga points total I lean towards Rijkaard because he is a proven winner.

Pellegrini had an amazing record at Villarreal and played some brilliant football. I feel sorry for him at Real though, he's seen by some as a failure for not winning the league. I know real spent loads but 96 points and that being eclipsed by one of the best teams in history is unlucky. It's sort of like saying the rolling stones were shit because the beatles were around at the same time.

Pellegrini had an amazing record at Villarreal and played some brilliant football. I feel sorry for him at Real though, he's seen by some as a failure for not winning the league. I know real spent loads but 96 points and that being eclipsed by one of the best teams in history is unlucky. It's sort of like saying the rolling stones were shit because the beatles were around at the same time.

the stones are better but ye I see what you mean

It's certainly owl over for Roy: it makes perfect sense for the new guys to give a manager time to assess the squad before the January window. But I'd be extremely worried about Rijkaard - too risky given the situation we are in, and also given how badly he handled players at Barca and latterly at Gala, where his record is pretty poor to say the least. My feeling is that he's not got enough experience of English football to be able to cope with the position we are in. he'd need a number 2 like Kenny - someone with real knowledge of the club as well as the game, to guide him through. I think it would be unwise to rush him into the job, and i really worry that we are going down the Newcastle route of unsuitable appointments.

Pellegrini is a wise head: more experienced, and i think a more astute observer of the game. I'd feel more confident in him.

Do you reckon Mick Jagger or Paul Macartney should fly the plane now we have first class owners and a first class manager and stadium on the way, none of that Iron Maiden shite?