You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this were true it would make no sense to send Hodgson out to Italy. You might as well have done it today, and let Sammy take the team. Nope - I think it's poop. And not convinced by Rijkaard as a proposed replacement.

We like managers being in italy when they are sacked.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest whether a new manager is used to the league or not.

Mourinho wasn't used to the league, Ancellotti wasn't either and neither were Wenger or Hiddink but they all did well in their first season in the league.

Hodgson is used to the Premiership after years here and look how that went.

Ancelotti, Hiddink, Wenger (to a degree). Good managers can generally manage anywhere. Pellegrini moving to England is no different really from when he moved from Argentina to Spain.

the anxiety is being in the bottom three ...if he doesnt adapt quickly enough. the pressure will be straight on

It doesn't bother me in the slightest whether a new manager is used to the league or not.

Mourinho wasn't used to the league, Ancellotti wasn't either and neither were Wenger or Hiddink but they all did well in their first season in the league.

Beat me to it.

Ancelotti, Hiddink, Wenger (to a degree). Good managers can generally manage anywhere. Pellegrini moving to England is no different really from when he moved from Argentina to Spain.

Can't agree with that mate I think it depends on the managers methods just as much, somethings do not always translate well. I don't think it's as black and white as that. I share this concern but one things for sure we cannot go on with Roy, hope it will be Kenny but if not would take a chance on any of the other 2 Rijkard or Pelli. Anyone but Leroy, aka the white Carlton Banks.

the anxiety is being in the bottom three ...if he doesnt adapt quickly enough. the pressure will be straight on

Not saying you're a Kenny fan, but what if we got Kenny in and he didn't adapt to modern football after being out of the game for a bit? What if he couldn't get his head round the fact that £5m gets you a squad player now and not a world beater?

Not a dig at Kenny, but just emphasising that there is a risk with all managerial appointments, to a degree.

Guest PurpleNose
Time to adapt?

Yes, to what?

Pellegrini is 57, well travelled, and speaks fluent English. Adapting off the pitch would be no problem at all.

On the pitch? Well I think he's well aware our league is played at a more constant tempo than La Liga, and every South American league. He'll realise we have a handful (ok half a league full) of rugby teams.

His main strength, in my opinion, is the balance between the technical and physical side of the game he's managed to achieve with his teams. Villarreal played nice football, but they weren't soft.

I really don't think the time for adapting would be any longer than that of a manager who had managed other Premier League clubs.

People cite Juande Ramos, but I really think that was a pretty unique situation. Spurs were, and still are to some extent, a club full of English players, a lot of which are unwilling to change their ways. Ramos tried to change too much, and too soon.

I certainly won't be worrying about this if we do employ a manager who hasn't managed in England before.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on who you'd prefer out of Rijkaard and Pellegrini if Hodgson was to go.

If this were true it would make no sense to send Hodgson out to Italy. You might as well have done it today, and let Sammy take the team. Nope - I think it's poop. And not convinced by Rijkaard as a proposed replacement.

I think Hodgson's going to Italy has nothing to do with the decision, he is the manager as long as he is not fired or resigns. I assume there are discussions going on at the club, but hiring and firing people takes time, even if decisions are made. So far we have rumors, that's all. The main thing that would seriously point to a change is that the board is changing, and the new board might wish to bring in a new face.

I agree about Rijkaard, not convinced at all. I'd get in Dalglish, and not consult senior players...

Out of curiosity, what is it in particular that worries you about this?

The fact that we're shite and that everyone knows it. There's no doubt Roy's tactics have contributed to our awful start, but the lack of quality and balance in the squad is chronic and there's nothing we can do about it until January. Combine that with a period of adjustment and our currently woeful league position and I think you're talking a baptism of fire that's even worse than the one Hodgson had (although at least a big name manager wouldn't be written off by the fans before he'd even stepped into the dugout).

What makes you say this Paul? Your gut instinct or do you know more :drool:

I know nothing mate. I'm just hearing John Henry tell us he's a man of action rather than words as he spends his first five days as owner meeting all the major fan groups and restructuring the executive team at the club. He's not dragging his feet is he! In that context, our league position looks absolutely damning for Roy.

Edited by Paul

Guest PurpleNose
The fact that we're shite and that everyone knows it. There's no doubt Roy's tactics have contributed to our awful start, but the lack of quality and balance in the squad is chronic and there's nothing we can do about it until January.

We don't have the 19th best squad in the league. I'd back a manager of the quality of Pellegrini or Rijkaard to get us moving up the league a long time before January.

Playing a style of football that suits the type, and quality, of players we have would do a lot on its own.

Not saying you're a Kenny fan, but what if we got Kenny in and he didn't adapt to modern football after being out of the game for a bit? What if he couldn't get his head round the fact that £5m gets you a squad player now and not a world beater?

Not a dig at Kenny, but just emphasising that there is a risk with all managerial appointments, to a degree.

You are right. Maybe I havent seen enough of Pellegrini's teams. Apart Villareal in the CL.

Just want us to at least start playing again.

True but the season is still newish. Couple of wins and we will be mid table.

When the fuck faced Redknapp got the spurs job, they were in the relegation zone and it only took him a few games to give them the belief.

Change of manager is just around the corner at Liverpool - might as well do it now rather than wait. And a new manager who can motivate and give the belief back to the team, we will be climbing up in no time.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on who you'd prefer out of Rijkaard and Pellegrini if Hodgson was to go.

If i had to choose mate i would prefer Pellegrini.

Rijkaard could be a good appointment but personally i think only if he brings Ten Cate as his assistant like he had at Barcelona.

Both Rijkaard and Pellegrini both like to play attacking football so straight away either of them get my vote as that is the main criteria for me when getting a new manager.

Both can speak fluent english so there should not be a language problem.

Pellegrini has had success winning titles in South America and more experienced especially when taking Villareal from a low position in La Liga into the quality team on i would presume a very little budget compared to the bigger clubs in that league.

The reason Pellegrini lost his last job was due to Real Madrid been a circus whereas Rijkaard has lost his job due to not been able to get Galatasaray to be able to adapt to his style.

I would be happy with either but Pellegrini would be the first choice for me.