You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends what we want. If we want a club that challenges every year for a place in the Europa club alongside Villa, Everton, Stoke, Fulham (and hopefully MU) and gets to the QF of the FA cup now and again, has no major players selling shirts, is regarded in Asia as not worth the shirt. If so then we can get our glorious history DVDs from the club shop, sit back and wait for our records to be squashed by others and sing songs of greatness to players like Bobby Zamora.

If so then fine.

If on the other hand we wish to look down on MU, to be winners and to watch european football on a tue/wed with just three officials on a major channel. If it means names being linked with the club that bring genuine excitement and allow young children to go into school with pride with their heroes written on their textbooks, if it means not fearing games like Bolton away and crushing our neighbours on a regular basis with football that is worth the extortionate price we will be expected to pay then;

Choose differently

The choice is yours

good points, 2 massive contrasts in where we could go from here. Its a definate fork in the road here

From henceforce the rumour that is dutch shall be known as

Frank Ricard

Its easier to spell and it's got more bottle than Hodgson, just remember that if you don't like the taste, don't spit it out.

Just copied and pasted it here, couldnt be arsed editing it.

*plays Devil's Advocate*

I had the distinct impression that he didn't want to tear into Slur when he made his comments about Torres after we played the mancs because of his friendship with the red-nosed old twat. To be honest, I wanted to fucking shake him after that, point out that the same issue clearly didn't bother Ferguson one iota and that no matter how matey they might be, he's the manager of LFC, Ferguson fucking hates us and had launched a completely bullshit attack on one of our players. That's not the time to think about what good pals you are; it's the time to tell the whisky-soaked old cunt to go and fuck himself with a stick, noting in the process that he might want to have a word with the kit man to make sure Nani's boots have some studs in next time he plays.

This paragraph has me questioning whether it is 'better' for Roy to be coming out with the displeasing comments he has, or to be issuing cynical gallery-playing platitudes during his press conferences whilst airing his true opinions behind the scenes. I think it'd be far worse if he were sitting with Slur sharing a glass of red after the game and confiding "Those facking mags bought it again..."

As much as he's been a failure so far, I'd argue it takes some stones to say the things he has in public.

RoboRiise, those 200 or so words of yours haven't quite made a Roy supporter of me but I've definitely got a bit more respect for the guy now.

Same with the Torres transfer talk. Even if it's true that he might be off in January and will almost certainly go in the summer, I don't want to hear it given even a whiff of credibility by the manager. I want to hear:

"Fernando Torres is a Liverpool player, he has a contract to play for Liverpool Football Club, he is not for sale and even if he was for sale, I'd sell him to white slave traders before I sold him to Manchester United. Perhaps Mr Ferguson would be better employed focusing on the future of his own players before any more of them slip away from him."

Or something like that. If Torres does get sold and he ends up looking like a twat, so fucking what? You think Ferguson doesn't know he's making himself look like a twat when he comes out with his ludicrously one-eyed post match comments? Of course he does, but he's being paid well to do it

Roy's defeatism in the press has been unexpected and the second biggest criticism of him (after the dire performances), but perhaps he is realistically living down to expectations?

it's all a game, nothing more.

Hardly a matter of life and death...

Edited by chauncey

Not too dissimilar to what you and your mates bandied around last season about Rafa losing the dressing room...

You are clearly talking out of your arse because I don't believe in the whole, 'lost the dressing room' thing. I thought Benitez had lost the dressing room back at the time of 'Boro away in '09 but after reading Carra's book, I realised I was wrong.

Ever since then, i've never subscribed to the view that a manager can 'lose' the dressing room.

So kindly do one with your bullcrap.

So we just accept mediocrity for a few years so some can balance it with their 'Liverpool Way' conscience?

Roy was appointed at a time of strife and I refuse to beleive there was an exhaustive search. Imho it was a sham and they wanted a nodding donkey manager that would shut up and do as he was told.

Like others I feel bad wanting him to go but the club comes first. Rafa did some good work and I'd rather a progressive manager continue than one who wants to take us back to some archaic style of footy. If that's our ambition then it shames our history.

Again, you've totally missed the point but I can't be arsed elaborating if you can't see the major issue with the statement, 'regardless of results'.

Again, you've totally missed the point but I can't be arsed elaborating if you can't see the major issue with the statement, 'regardless of results'.

Brownie, yer coming across like Davey Moyes on the 26th May 2005 trying to score points on a technicality. What the earlier poster (cochaer) had pointedly tried to make was that due to the effectiveness of the football Roy is employing, he believes the manager should go, even if there is a run of 10 wins over the next 10 matches, ultimately the kind of football on display is not good enough.

It's obvious you know what both lads are trying to say, but you're looking to win the argument on semantics/grammar.

It's interesting this - that statement is the first time I can remember him demonstrating that there might actually be something in his ballbag since the start of the season.

I'd have much rather he'd have showed a bit of fight after the game at Old Trafford when Demento was going on about Torres, or when he was commenting on speculation that Nando might be headed there, or maybe when talking about some of the awful shite we've served up so far this season, rather than saving it for when it's his own position that people are talking about, but if he's finally remembered that he's got a pair that can only be a good thing.

One of my concerns about him as a manager is that he does seem to be a genuinely nice bloke but unfortunately, the helm of a club whose fans want to be challenging for at least a top four place is probably not the best place for a nice bloke to be these days. Years ago maybe, although winners have always had a hard edge to them when it was needed, but not in this day and age.

You can get away with nice when your side is only expected to bat out a season in the lower mid-table positions, partly because you don't have to make as many critical, shit-or-bust decisions, partly because you don't have to endure the same degree of media attention and partly because you're not really on the radar of the likes of Demento and Wenger.

As soon as you step out of that comfort zone, you're putting yourself up there to be shot at and as a nice guy, I don't think Roy particularly likes being shot at. He's not used to it. Trouble is, it goes with the territory these days.

I had the distinct impression that he didn't want to tear into Slur when he made his comments about Torres after we played the mancs because of his friendship with the red-nosed old twat. To be honest, I wanted to fucking shake him after that, point out that the same issue clearly didn't bother Ferguson one iota and that no matter how matey they might be, he's the manager of LFC, Ferguson fucking hates us and had launched a completely bullshit attack on one of our players. That's not the time to think about what good pals you are; it's the time to tell the whisky-soaked old cunt to go and fuck himself with a stick, noting in the process that he might want to have a word with the kit man to make sure Nani's boots have some studs in next time he plays.

Same with the Torres transfer talk. Even if it's true that he might be off in January and will almost certainly go in the summer, I don't want to hear it given even a whiff of credibility by the manager. I want to hear:

"Fernando Torres is a Liverpool player, he has a contract to play for Liverpool Football Club, he is not for sale and even if he was for sale, I'd sell him to white slave traders before I sold him to Manchester United. Perhaps Mr Ferguson would be better employed focusing on the future of his own players before any more of them slip away from him."

Or something like that. If Torres does get sold and he ends up looking like a twat, so fucking what? You think Ferguson doesn't know he's making himself look like a twat when he comes out with his ludicrously one-eyed post match comments? Of course he does, but he's being paid well to do it - it's all a game, nothing more.

Still, although the off-pitch stuff is part and parcel of the game these days, it's still just the frosting on the cake. Roy's future at this club, or lack of one, will ultimately be determined by results. I can't shake the impression that he's a dead man walking myself but obviously I'd be delighted if he can turn things round and get us firing on the pitch. I don't see him ever playing the kind of free-flowing atacking football that we'd all like to see though because it just isn't his game - never has been, never will be.

If we don't like the football but are getting the results, there's at least a discussion to be had about whether he's the man for the job, one which would doubtless split us down the middle in the same way that the polarised debates about the last manager did. On the other hand, if we don't like the football and aren't getting the results either, the only question is at what point do we cut our losses?

I vote for you as manager after that statement on Torres. :D

To hell with the games, I would just tune in for the press conferences!

It all depends what we want. If we want a club that challenges every year for a place in the Europa club alongside Villa, Everton, Stoke, Fulham (and hopefully MU) and gets to the QF of the FA cup now and again, has no major players selling shirts, is regarded in Asia as not worth the shirt. If so then we can get our glorious history DVDs from the club shop, sit back and wait for our records to be squashed by others and sing songs of greatness to players like Bobby Zamora.

If so then fine.

If on the other hand we wish to look down on MU, to be winners and to watch european football on a tue/wed with just three officials on a major channel. If it means names being linked with the club that bring genuine excitement and allow young children to go into school with pride with their heroes written on their textbooks, if it means not fearing games like Bolton away and crushing our neighbours on a regular basis with football that is worth the extortionate price we will be expected to pay then;

Choose differently

The choice is yours

Id rep you only I'm posting from my phone

Great post!!

If you want midtable mediocrity, get behind Woy

If we want to be back where we belong, we need a new manager,

And yes, it is as simple as that

Fair point, he has a fucking good go though, and Rutger Hauer was fuckloads quicker than Poulsen. Darryl Hannah & Sean Young were top eighties talent, like Rush and Dalglish..... kind of...errrr

If Daryl Hannah wasn't showing off her Olympic Gymnastics medal, she's have had him well dead.

Clamped between her thighs, what a way to go!

Red: Poulsen's shit, isn't he?

Roy: I'm impressed. How many bad passes does it usually take to spot them?

Red: I don't get it, Hodgson.

Roy: How many?

Red: Twenty, thirty.

Roy: It took more than a hundred for Poulsen, didn't it?

Red: He doesn't know.

Roy: He's beginning to suspect, I think.

Red: Suspect? How can he not know what he is?

Absolutely briliant that!

If Daryl Hannah wasn't showing off her Olympic Gymnastics medal, she's have had him well dead.

Clamped between her thighs, what a way to go!

Red: Poulsen's shit, isn't he?

Roy: I'm impressed. How many bad passes does it usually take to spot them?

Red: I don't get it, Hodgson.

Roy: How many?

Red: Twenty, thirty.

Roy: It took more than a hundred for Poulsen, didn't it?

Red: He doesn't know.

Roy: He's beginning to suspect, I think.

Red: Suspect? How can he not know what he is?

Bad form mate, I never wanted to picture Darryl Hannah with her legs clamped round a turtle head.

Ricard as you can see from the bottle is along the same lines as Pernod. A bit weaker but French drink it about mid-day with water. They say it is not alcoholic but I had quite a bit of it one afternoon and can testify there is a slight kick to it. Saying that it is a poor mans Pernod bit like Frank to Manuel if you get my drift